RIM Reportedly Considering Splitting Company in Two

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Beleaguered Research in Motion is now considering the option to split the corporation in two, selling off the handset division and focusing attention on its messaging network. Facebook, Amazon and Microsoft have been mentioned as potential buyers.

The company has been struggling to bring back lost market share and sales for its once popular BlackBerry devices, but it's not having much luck in an industry ruled by Apple and Android.

This talk of selling off the company or whichever has been going on for months; this isn't news, despite what analysts and such may want you to believe. It's much like the situation with the first BB10 device being a touchscreen model. We've known that for quite some time, but news outlets just want more fodder to attract viewers with bad news about RIM.

RIM's situation is very similar to Apple's back in the mid-90s (before Jobs took over again). Not saying they are going to bounce back as well as Apple did, but it's entirely possible they may still be able to recover somewhat.

What i don't get is that this was RIM's first quarterly loss in over 9 years, yet the stock prices have tumbled as much as they have (and everyone now assumes they are dead). BlackBerry is still the #1 smartphone in Europe, and despite competition from other messaging services like iMessage and such, BBM is still incredibly popular over there. It's here in North America that things don't look entirely promising.

I'm hoping they can recover, but until they can get BB10 out the door, there is nothing that is going to stop the bad press. RIM's biggest issue is lack of developer support, but judging from the success of their BlackBerry 10 Jam developer conferences, there is still a future. Sadly, news agencies don't report on that.

Hmm.....Someones hung like a horse if they're splitting Rims in two.

What i don't get is that this was RIM's first quarterly loss in over 9 years, yet the stock prices have tumbled as much as they have (and everyone now assumes they are dead). BlackBerry is still the #1 smartphone in Europe, and despite competition from other messaging services like iMessage and such, BBM is still incredibly popular over there. It's here in North America that things don't look entirely promising.

What fairy tail land are you living in? They have been bleeding themselves dry past 5.years stock was over 120. Their net income is half of last year which was their only good year lately. Compared to 3 years ago the net income is still lower. They are in the negatives with cash. If you had $50k to invest I can think of dozens of companies actually making a profit. If I was a shareholder well I'd be out on a lot of money

Hmm.....Someones hung like a horse if they're splitting Rims in two.

Judging from all the layoffs, I'd say RIM is hung a lot more like one of these little sheltland ponies:
shetlandpony.jpg

...What i don't get is that this was RIM's first quarterly loss in over 9 years, yet the stock prices have tumbled as much as they have (and everyone now assumes they are dead)...

There are a number of reasons why the stock has tumbled so much, but the biggest one is that RIM has shown absolutely NO indication that they are even vaguely capable of dealing with their massive loss in market share. They can't compete on the hardware or software front. That race was already run and the iPhone won, Android came a close second, and Widows Phone and BB finished very distance 3rd and 4th respectively.

If RIM had a brain in their stupid corporate heads then they would have beaten Good for Enterprise to the punch by releasing a BB app for iPhones and Androids that simulated a BB, including using the same backend and security. Every major company that stuck with BB while waiting on iPhone and Androids for a secure system like Good would have jumped on such a BB option and RIM would be rolling in the cash right now and Good would be dead instead of growing by leaps and bounds as it steals customer after customer from RIM. Doing this is still their only real hope, and until they do so they are going to continue to lose market share very badly. Even in Europe it is only a matter of time....

In nature, when something exceeds Critical Mass, a transformation occurs. One type of transformation is a structure breakdown, such as collapse, like a building falling down. The simplest transformation is a split or division, such as with the branch of a tree or a cell. The point before Critical Mass is a called the Crisis Point. Out of that transformation, new life will grow. All life in the Universe was created this way. It is inevitable, and it is built into everything, including your mind. Minds that are able to identify the Crisis Point points are known as Critics. Those who are able to see the Paradox effect, which comes of it, are known as Comedians.

There are a number of reasons why the stock has tumbled so much, but the biggest one is that RIM has shown absolutely NO indication that they are even vaguely capable of dealing with their massive loss in market share. They can't compete on the hardware or software front. That race was already run and the iPhone won, Android came a close second, and Widows Phone and BB finished very distance 3rd and 4th respectively.

If RIM had a brain in their stupid corporate heads then they would have beaten Good for Enterprise to the punch by releasing a BB app for iPhones and Androids that simulated a BB, including using the same backend and security. Every major company that stuck with BB while waiting on iPhone and Androids for a secure system like Good would have jumped on such a BB option and RIM would be rolling in the cash right now and Good would be dead instead of growing by leaps and bounds as it steals customer after customer from RIM. Doing this is still their only real hope, and until they do so they are going to continue to lose market share very badly. Even in Europe it is only a matter of time....

On what planet? Android is absolutely dominating in marketshare. Google won and Apple came in a distant second.

Do I get to gloat for my post in April now? :p

Zarathustra[H];1038606609 said:
IMHO, best thing RIM can do for itself right now is as follows:

1.) Exit handset market. Kill off Blackberry OS.

2.) Focus all efforts on BlackBerry back-end software tying into Outlook (this is their strength)

3.) Sell Blackberry MS Exchange apps for Adroid/IOS/Windows phone.

4.) (Possibly) Work with the likes of Samsung or other handset manufacturers to bring out blackberry special edition phones based on Android.

They simply just don't have what it takes to release good devices, so they should focus on their strengths - the server integration - and sell apps for others phones to take advantage of this.

What always baffles me is when other companies buy failing companies and try to turn them around only to end up eating the whole loss. The only thing RIM is worth is their patents. You buy them for that alone then shut everything else down immediately. Same thing HP should have done with palm

That race was already run and the iPhone won, Android came a close second, and Widows Phone and BB finished very distance 3rd and 4th respectively.

I think thinking like it's a race that you've won is why companies like RIM and Nokia are in trouble. You never know what's around the corner.

Back