Temps in new Build with stock cooling and without OC

I've just completed a new build (my first), and I'm trying to determine how reasonable the temperatures I'm seeing are. So first thing I should do is describe the relevant portions of the build:
  • Corsair Obsidian 650D (stock fans and configuration, connected to motherboard, not a fan controller.)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
  • Intel Core i5 3550 (Ivy Bridge) (Not OCed)
  • Stock CPU cooler
  • HIS Radeon HD 6870 IceQ (stock cooler and clock)
  • Corsair AX750 Gold PSU (bottom intake, so probably not relevant)

Now onto the temperatures. The ambient temperature is 75 °F (it varies by a degree or two). I took readings at idle. Then I ran Furmark (default settings, burn in test) for about 15 minutes, and took readings for loaded GPU. After letting things cool, I ran Prime95 on all cores for about an hour and took loaded CPU readings. Finally without stopping Prime95, I started another Furmark burn-in test. After about 20 minutes I took the both under load temperatures.

Without further ado here are the temps:

Code:
Hardware Monitor|  Idle  | Furmark | Prime95 |  Both  |
=======================================================
Cpu Cores       | 28-33°C|  40-52°C|  76-83°C| 77-83°C|
CPU Package     | 32-34°C|  47-53°C|  83-86°C| 85-86°C|
GPU             | 37-38°C|  68-70°C|     39°C| 69-72°C|
HDD             |    25°C|     26°C|     26°C|    26°C|
TZ00            |    28°C|     28°C|     28°C|    28°C|
TZ01            |    30°C|     30°C|     30°C|    30°C|
TMPIN0          | 34-35°C|     39°C|     36°C| 39-40°C|
TMPIN1          |    37°C|     43°C|     40°C| 44-45°C|
TMPIN2          | 23-25°C|  44-45°C|  75-76°C| 76-77°C|
EasyTune        |  Idle  | Furmark | Prime95 |  Both  |
PCH             |   ~54°C|    ~61°C|    ~58°C|   ~63°C|

"Hardware Monitor" is, of course, CPU-ID's Hardware Monitor, while "EasyTune" is the Gigabyte utility included with the motherboard. The HDD shown is my mechanical drive, which is not in active use, and is spun down. The SSD does not appear to report temperatures. TMPIN0 is the general system temperature. TMPIN2 is the CPU socket temperature. TMPIN1 appears to be the PCH temperature, but Gigabyte's tool is adding 18°C to the reading. I'm going to guess that Gigabyte's tool is correct there.

The PCH temps are fairly high (if gigabytes readings are accurate). I suppose this make sense though. The Z77 chipset runs hot and the heat-sink has poor airflow due to the graphics card covering most of it.

I'm definitely not thrilled with the CPU temps. I suppose this means I should invest in aftermarket CPU cooler. One thing I do like about the stock cooler is that it is very low noise. The fan RPM for loaded is almost double that for idle, yet the only way I can tell the difference is by looking at the displayed RPMs.

Any recommendations on an aftermarket air cooler? Ideally I'd like to shave off 10°C from the CPU loaded temperatures. I'm also somewhat price conscious (after buying the rest of my rig), and would prefer a cooler that provides "good bang for the buck".

Other than the CPU temps, how do the rest of the temperates look? Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks.

temps look good.

Three coolers come to mine instantly that are great bang for your $$.

note, I noticed you processor is not a k model (non-oc version). The 83C you see in prime will rarely happen in real life applications (unless you do a lot of coding and stuff like that). That being said, you should be fine with stock,

none the less,

hyper 212+: $29 - http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...TF8&qid=1340475407&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+212+

and

corsair h60: $60 - http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Cooli...cs&ie=UTF8&qid=1340475462&sr=1-1&keywords=h60

and

antec 620: $55 - http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Kuhler-...cs&ie=UTF8&qid=1340475489&sr=1-1&keywords=620

EDIT:

Apparently you can OC 3550 to 3.9, so if you plan on oc'ing, the hyper 212 will be fine and cheap.

[quote name="Electroneng" url="/t/1251302/intel-i5-3550-vs-i5-2500k#post_17127337"]The IVY processor will be faster! 5-10% over the 2500k all the way up to the maximum overclock of 3.9Ghz of the 3550! Also. if you have a Z77 motherboard, you will have the option of Pcie 3.0 and other advantages! If you do not overclock or overclock very little, the 3550 is the way to go!

The regular Sandy bridge line is near end of life!
if you already have the 2500k! Stick with what you have if you overclock![/quote]

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Indeed, My understanding is that the i5-3550 has turbo boost rates of 4/3/2/2, combined with the standard non-K ability to increase the base frequency by up to four bins, gives me a maximum of 3.9GHz when running 4 cores, and 4.1 GHz if i switch off two cores.

I'm also aware that I'm not likely to see temperatures as high as prime95 on realistic workloads, but honestly I like more headroom.

After having a laptop where components reaching 100°C on an all too regular basis... No, seriously! I just loaded RealTemp and started Psychonauts in windowed mode on the laptop. Within 6 minutes my GPU temperature was 97°C and still creeping upwards, with CPU temps in the high 80. And that is hardly an extremely graphically intensive game.

The Hyper 212+ does seem to generally be considered an excellent deal, so I may just pick it up.

The Hyper 212+ does seem to generally be considered an excellent deal, so I may just pick it up.

I had one before I went to H60(wanted a quiet solution), kept my 2500k under 80 at 4.5ghz. My H60 keeps my 2500k under 70 at 4.5ghz and is quieter (although that is with a $20 fan).

EDIT: Also, if you have large heatsinks on your ram the hyper 212 may give you problems.

Good point. I forgot to mention my RAM at all.

Just a fairly simple 2x8GB Corsair XMS3 set, so I'd be shocked if the heatsinks caused clearance problems with anything.

Speaking of quiet, how loud is the fan included by default with the H212+?

I mean honestly right now my stock CPU fan is the quietest fan in the system, except during initial spin up when it reaches an ungodly speed (at least based on the noise). During normal operation it never exceeds 2050 RPM even if I tell the motherboard to max it out.

The fan on the hyper212+ is not really loud at all. It is definitely noticeable under full load though. The only reason I got rid of mine is b/c I was going for a quiet build. The loudest fan in my computer now is only 22db. The stock fan on the 212+ will reach 32dbs which is quieter than most reference video card coolers.

I never used the stock fan so i can not testify to how load it is in comparison.

Back