Next iDevices Will Have Smaller Connector

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't know why everyone is panicking over this. People that plop down money for the latest Apple products have always had a dedicated port for the company to stick things into. :D

Although the form factor and actual size are still unknown, TechCrunch has independently verified that Apple is working on adding a 19-pin port, replacing the current 30-pin port, to the new iPhone. It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.

I know why they are panicking - they've just realized Apple is raping them.

MicroUSB1__57056_zoom.jpg

Thats what they need.

It is a move that will surely send shocks through the iPhone accessory ecosystem.
More specifically, "shocks of revenue".

Honestly, I'm surprised the current connector/interoperability lasted as long as it did, considering it's Apple.

Maybe they'll release a "classic" adapter for $30.

A smaller connector on what is rumored to be a larger iPhone? What gives? I thought Apple was finally going to wise up and go with a 4" screen.

I wonder if they're planning on some sort of thunderbolt integration...

I've been super happy with my 4g ipod, but honestly it won't matter after Windows 8 releases. I won't own another apple product after I can get ARM interoperability with my desktop with the same OS.

Give me something a shade bigger than an ipod with Win8RT on it, and I'll never speak Apple's name again.

Hell that new Samsung brick is tempting me greatly. It's just about everything you could want in a portable device.

It's too bad. I've got a nice iPod clock radio I was hoping to use with the next gen iPOD Touch (i'm assuming there will be a next gen ipod touch). If this happens, it could be one factor that makes me consider other options.

I can't say I'm really surprised (and I've seen a few rumors before about this) but there will be outcry for sure.

I'm betting there will be an adapter for cars that have iPOD integration etc. but who knows.

Time will tell, life will go on. Most people who were planning to buy the next gen iDevice of the year will continue to do so.

Yeah, you can go ahead and keep your $0.25 adapter, personally I'd rather have an adapter that JUST WORKS.

Why adapt at all? Just find the nearest leftover USB cable, plug in and go. If we're going for "just works" I'd be happy to settle on something that uses some sort of standard interface.

Yeah, you can go ahead and keep your $0.25 adapter, personally I'd rather have an adapter that JUST WORKS.

So you want to buy a $200,000 toilet if it has an Apple logo and it "just works"?

Impressive.

How about a $100 pen as well?

People know that the original dock connector had to be designed to support FireWire and USB. And receive power from each at different voltages. And support audio in and audio out, allowing for simple dock connector based audio players. And supports pins for signaling the capabilities of the connected device.

The dock connector is old and has way more functionality than a micro USB cable.

I want a magnetic connector... The only problems I ever seem to have with devices is something wrong with a stupid connector.

People know that the original dock connector had to be designed to support FireWire and USB. And receive power from each at different voltages. And support audio in and audio out, allowing for simple dock connector based audio players. And supports pins for signaling the capabilities of the connected device.

The dock connector is old and has way more functionality than a micro USB cable.

And all of that can be done using an industry-standard connector and some not-all-that revolutionary engineering. Apple has more than enough talent to make it work. Now paying that talent while maintaining a huge profit margin, that is something else entirely.

And all of that can be done using an industry-standard connector and some not-all-that revolutionary engineering. Apple has more than enough talent to make it work. Now paying that talent while maintaining a huge profit margin, that is something else entirely.

The Zune needed a specific connector to support the same things. As versatile as USB is, by itself, it doesn't support more than power and data, this is why phones have mini/micro HDMI ports in addition to USB.

FireWire has long since been replaced by USB 2.0. So really, nobody cares there. As for audio, I'm pretty sure USB does that as well, at least Android 4.0 devices should have this ability. If not then the headphone jack is probably easier and better, or Bluetooth even. Most modern cell phones have an HDMI connector, making it also easier to connect your phone to the TV.

Most importantly, pretty much every cable sold for iDevices will allow you to connect it to a USB port. So why not just have a usb port on the iDevices? The convience of having one far out weights whatever usefulness you'll find on the dock connector.

For example you could use any micro usb cable to charge your device. So it's hard to find yourself in a bad spot if you happen to lose your charging cable. Not to forget you can avoid the high priced Apple chargers. I mean everyone knows they're making a new connector to milk it before all the Chinese mass produce copy cat products for dirt cheap. Lets not forget all the adapters. Sure the connector has a lot of abilities, but you'll need expensive adapters to use them. It's ever a wonder if people realize that these adapters can add up to the price of a new iDevice.

If the USB port can't supply the function, then other ports will, such as 3.5mm headphone jack, or the HDMI port. No need for special adapters, and super high priced cables. There are cheaper alternatives then Apple, but Apple did fight to prevent people from making cheap knock offs. Chances are they'll fight for this new connector again.

The Zune needed a specific connector to support the same things. As versatile as USB is, by itself, it doesn't support more than power and data, this is why phones have mini/micro HDMI ports in addition to USB.

Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean in can't be done. It's all electrical signals, with a little bit of ingenuity anything is possible.

As far as separate USB and HDMI ports, the HDMI port isn't designed to charge devices, so that's one pretty straightforward reason why there are separate connectors there. No sense in playing back media on your TV if the player is going to run out of juice before the movie is overy. But theoretically, it could be done, it just doesn't make sense in that application.

If for no other reason than to oversimplify, you can very easily design a port that could use the data / power functions of any port, but would be capable of any additional functionality. For example, how many phones have you seen that use the mini-usb port for regular headphones, and that is just regular audio, right? It's usually a decision made to squeeze more revenue out of the market, not because there are major technical barriers or limitations.

So you want to buy a $200,000 toilet if it has an Apple logo and it "just works"?

Impressive.

I think he meant he'd rather have an adapter that is known to work over a $0.25 one you might find on one of those chinese accessory websites.

FireWire has long since been replaced by USB 2.0. So really, nobody cares there. As for audio, I'm pretty sure USB does that as well, at least Android 4.0 devices should have this ability. If not then the headphone jack is probably easier and better, or Bluetooth even. Most modern cell phones have an HDMI connector, making it also easier to connect your phone to the TV.

So rather than slap my phone into a dock in a single step, I would first connect the USB port, then the audio connection (setting the volume to an appropriate level because it's a headphone out, not a line out), then potentially an HDMI connector as well. Bluetooth may be in there somewhere too. Sounds fucking terrible.

Doesn't anyone here have a laptop with a proprietary docking station connector? Those work great. How is this different?

Impressive.

So what you're trying to tell me is that I've wasted $200,100 in the last month?

I don't really care what you think, my iShitter rocks and my iPen makes me look WAY cooler than you.

Disclaimer: If Apple comes to market with an iShitter you can be damn sure that I'm suing.

So rather than slap my phone into a dock in a single step, I would first connect the USB port, then the audio connection (setting the volume to an appropriate level because it's a headphone out, not a line out), then potentially an HDMI connector as well. Bluetooth may be in there somewhere too. Sounds fucking terrible.

Doesn't anyone here have a laptop with a proprietary docking station connector? Those work great. How is this different?

It makes a lot of sense if you can get everything done with standardized cables that are already within proximity of most situations that you would need to be connected. However, having to buy a not-inexpensive proprietary docking unit for every place you use your device, or carrying a bulky docking station around with you to use on the fly, diminishes the value and portability of functionality that is supposed to add value by providing easy portability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0&feature=youtu.be

well in that case i will assume that samsung/google use even more magic than apple if they can get all this to work!

What's with Apple and constantly changing the connectors all the time? It's one of the many reasons why I don't buy Apple. They purposely refuse to follow any kind of standard just to force you to buy more accessories if you upgrade a device.

Imagine you get a new phone and think "aw sweet now I can keep this charger for at work and use the new one at home".... not so fast! Your old charger is useless now, so is all the other accessories that you bought for it.

Back