Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut Interview

I honestly think that this whole controversy was self-inflicted.

Had there not been MONTHS of crap like "You won't get an A, B or C ending" and then doing just that or the million times they said " Everything you do will have an impact on the ending you get" blah, blah, blah...

Now listening to them talk like this Extended Cut was something they just "wanted to do" is laughable at best.

Just my $0.02

I honestly think that this whole controversy was self-inflicted.

Had there not been MONTHS of crap like "You won't get an A, B or C ending" and then doing just that or the million times they said " Everything you do will have an impact on the ending you get" blah, blah, blah...

Now listening to them talk like this Extended Cut was something they just "wanted to do" is laughable at best.

Just my $0.02

100% this I had an issue of Game Informer I never read from last year which had a huge ME3 article in it that I found about a month ago. After reading the article they delivered less than half of what the said was coming. One thing that just ticked me off is that I saved the Rachni Queen in the 1st game and come to find out that even if you don't save her the Reapers happen to genetically make a Rachni Queen so you still faced one regardless. Everything plays out the same as well after you beat that area and save the Queen its still helpful blah blah blah. I loved the ME series and 3 was great but the promises just weren't delivered.

Is that a Youtube *video* of a single still image and an audio track, or is my Flash install broken? C'mon Bioware, that's like driving a semi truck to the corner mart for a gallon of milk.

On topic, I think I'm beyond caring about the ending now. After not thinking about Mass Effect for a couple of months, I don't really have a great desire to go back to it. I can't really remember the crazy metaphysical weirdness ending sequence at all, in my mind, Tali took back her home planet and secured a peace treaty with the Geth, Mordin died curing the genophage while singing Gilbert and Sullivan, Jack is a schoolmarm, etc, etc.

From listening to what they said, I think they know what the "fans" want and the only audience they're giving this content to are people like me who thought the endings could use a little more explanation.

... all i can say is they really f'ed up the ending i dont think people will be satisfied with what they have produced... bring on the paid dlc expansions and spoiler alert if the mass relays go boom how will the mass effect universe continue on from that point. will future content set in the universe be starting were me3 ended or pull a star wars and do a prequel?

From listening to what they said, I think they know what the "fans" want and the only audience they're giving this content to are people like me who thought the endings could use a little more explanation.

I think that's giving them much more credit than they deserve.

With statements like "it transcends out the game. They become part of your identity in a meaningful way", you know they're just trying the least expensive thing that they think will cover their a$$.
The 'interview' is full of marketing-speak for "this doesn't actually change the game, but we're hoping that even the biggest detractors will be mollified by more cut scenes".

It seems like these guys don't even understand the fundamental disappointments of the fans. The interview comes off as complete PR spin and marketing fluff, and is itself another disappointment. They seem disconnected from reality.

I for one am at least going to keep an open mind about this DLC. Unlike most who are already judging it before even seeing it.

Yea... I think it's going to fail. I'll see if I guess, but I already have huge doubts on it making it seem adequate.

There was just so much promised and huge failures to fulfill them.

I for one am at least going to keep an open mind about this DLC. Unlike most who are already judging it before even seeing it.
QFT! As long as its free I'll give it a chance to see if this DLC somehow improves ME3s abysmal ending.

Y'know I'm suddenly glad I didn't pick up ME3. And also glad I only picked up ME2 because Amazon had it for $20 when it was still normally 40 at most other places online.

Sounds like I'll be buying ME3 when it's 20 bucks again too. I just have to finish the storyline for myself now, no matter how horrible it is. But I refuse to pay 60 to do it.

The endings didn't need more explanation. They were clear enough. They just sucked balls.

Y'know I'm suddenly glad I didn't pick up ME3. And also glad I only picked up ME2 because Amazon had it for $20 when it was still normally 40 at most other places online.

Sounds like I'll be buying ME3 when it's 20 bucks again too. I just have to finish the storyline for myself now, no matter how horrible it is. But I refuse to pay 60 to do it.

Be glad, and do that. It's definitely worth playing though. I loved it all the way til the end, the last mission is where it starts to go from wow to meh.

The endings didn't need more explanation. They were clear enough. They just sucked balls.

It's really both. Where the hell did they pull out the god child bit? Why does Shepard see him prior? Some other stuff too... but that stuff can be explained by stupidity.

That interview is something known as BS. The truth is: the game company put in a lot of effort in this series, but weren't willing to put in the effort needed to have different endings based on your decisions. The game company chose a depressing ending, regardless of what you did, because they wanted to be "cool". In some circles happy ending are uncool.

Because the customer are unhappy (e.g. less likely to buy future products from this game company), they have decided to come out with a little extra content to try to put positive spend in their negative ending.

That interview is something known as BS. The truth is: the game company put in a lot of effort in this series, but weren't willing to put in the effort needed to have different endings based on your decisions. The game company chose a depressing ending, regardless of what you did, because they wanted to be "cool". In some circles happy ending are uncool.

Because the customer are unhappy (e.g. less likely to buy future products from this game company), they have decided to come out with a little extra content to try to put positive spend in their negative ending.

I don't think that's quite right. It wasn't that the endings were all negative, it's that they didn't even make sense. At all. I beat the game using Garrus and Liara and somehow they both came out of the ship with Joker (how they even got to a Mass Relay before the Cruicible blew up I still don't get). Nevermind the fact that what I did up to that point had no bearing on my interaction (or lackthereof) with the Reapers. I think fans are upset with the endings because they were lazy and nonsensical not because they were negative.

I got about 4 minutes into this "video" and had to shut it off. These guys just pulled such a Lucas' on this series it makes me sad.

I wasn't ever expecting a campy ending, but rather the whole "Shepherd (and possibly the team) sacrifice themselves to secure a future for the various races of the galaxy and end the cycle of Reaper destruction" akin to some ending in old Hong Kong films (A Better Tomorrow comes to mind). Instead, we get this Star Child bullshit with his explanation of events just seeming to be shoehorned in as an attempt to explain everything for the ending of the trilogy. ME3 went from badass to "WTF was that shit" with that ending. Not to mention that the ending leaves too many plot holes and at least a few contradictions (if you played the last DLC for ME2, which was a decent lead-in to ME3, you'd see the glaring contradiction...sorry, don't want to spoil things for those that haven't completed the trilogy). I honestly don't know how Bioware did it, but that ending was a bigger disappointment than the Pinnacle Station DLC for ME1.

ME3 was one of those games that you make a herpa derpa face after you beat it (actually during the ending sequence already). :confused:

It would be really hard to make it any worse so I suppose this will be an improvement but still quite silly ending.

This. Dan D has written some great pieces about it but what it comes down to is the problems were:

1) It totally broke from the style/story of the game.

2) Nothing you did mattered to the endings.

3) They made no fucking sense.

4) They offered no closure.

Extending them won't fix any of that. They need a redo to be any good. The problem isn't length. You could have a really short ending that was good, I've seen those in games and movies. The problems were with what the ending was and how it was implemented.

The thing it most reminded me of was the Deus Ex HR ending. "Oh hey none of the choices you made mattered a damn bit, just push the button for the end you want, and get a cutscene that explains nothing." However in the case of DXHR it didn't matter nearly so much since not only was there not the promise of some dynamic ending, but you didn't have this long arcing story with many important choices. Also you had a real sense of completion and closure after the final boss fight. You'd won, the baddies were stopped for the moment, it could have ended right there satisfactorily. Not the case in ME3 since you beat nothing.

So in the case of DXHR it took the game from a 9 to an 8 or the like, it made it less good, but not a big deal. I still replayed it right away, I just didn't bother to go watch the endings again, I quit after the boss fight. In the case of ME3 it to a good game and made it crap, so bad I didn't do my planned "replay all 3 games immediately after and go a different route," so bad I uninstalled it and haven't reinstalled it because why would I want to?

Random thought... I think I know what the extended ending entails. The grandfather turns to the kid and that faggot child that appear out of no where was you! And makes a pedobear face.

The ending was a colossal turd, but I'm past the point of caring. It also sounds like Bioware is still pretty clueless as to why the ending was bad.

I dont care how mass effects end they can end it how ever the fuck they want they made the fucking game.

When you're charging $60 a pop, I think you have an obligation to make your customers happy.

Not really... but you should have an obligation to go through with what you advertised, and they did not... but neither did peter molyneux with his fable boasts... but I don't know if it were ever advertised that way.

But I didn't follow ME's news that much, and much much less for Fable. So I know more of what ME's advertisements were, but not really Fable's.

This. Dan D has written some great pieces about it but what it comes down to is the problems were:

1) It totally broke from the style/story of the game.

2) Nothing you did mattered to the endings.

3) They made no fucking sense.

4) They offered no closure.

+1

I excepted the major decisions from ME1 and ME2 to make an impact on the final battle of ME3. They only needed to cover the main choices; there were 4 from the ME1 and maybe 3 from ME2 and who died. Most of these decisions could have been covered with one scene by who shows up as allies, enemies, or not at all in a final battle. Instead the ending has nothing to do from the games and no closure.

Back