Dell U2312HM - is this a dead or bright pixel?

Crake8

Limp Gawd
I just got a Dell U2312HM. It might have some backlight bleed in bottom right corner. It does have a stuck pixel. On solid color checks, one pixel: On solid black background, it is red; on red, it is a pale grey, on blue, it is a pale white; on white, I do not see it - it is white; on green, I do not see it - it is green.

Is this a bright pixel or a dead pixel?

Supposedly Dell's Premium Panel Guarantee covers bright but not dead pixels. I called support, and was switched to someone in technical support, who had me check with my monitor disconnected from PC but turned on then he said I had to call customer care ,which I will do tomorrow.

My main question: with the monitor disconnected from PC but on, I could not see the pixel - it did not stand out. What does that mean as far as what kind of defect it is? Should a bright pixel show with a disconnected monitor that is on but not a dead pixel or vice versus?

PSA: On a transmissive-by-default panel like IPS or PVA, a bright pixel is a dead pixel. "Common knowledge" about stuck and dead pixels should be inverted when not discussing TN.

If your pixel is bright at any time when it's supposed to be dark, Dell should replace it. If you get a bad support rep who refuses you then ask for his/her supervisor, as their guarantee should definitely apply to what you describe.

PSA: On a transmissive-by-default panel like IPS or PVA, a bright pixel is a dead pixel. "Common knowledge" about stuck and dead pixels should be inverted when not discussing TN.

If your pixel is bright at any time when it's supposed to be dark, Dell should replace it. If you get a bad support rep who refuses you then ask for his/her supervisor, as their guarantee should definitely apply to what you describe.

Thanks. He did not say no, he just said I needed to call customer care for warranty replacement and gave me a reference #. Or by telling me to do that does that mean he is refusing?

But I am curious why I did not see it when the monitor was on but not connected to computer. It is a very bright red on a black background so why would it not show on the black background of the on-but-disconnected screen? Lower resolution and maybe the pixel is not even being used on that screen?

Also, it is not bad (only one pixel.) I would of course rather no bright pixel, but is it worth the risk of getting a worse panel by returning it?

There are some stuck pixel programs you can try. Google them, and one was listed here in this thread recently too. It didn't help me, but seeing as your screen is new, it may help.

If you decide to return it, I suggest you mention the backlight bleed too. The backlight bleed is enough to get a return.

When I returned my 2412, backlight bleed was the official reason. I also mentioned the AG coating (which was my main reason), but figured they wouldn't consider that a defect. Mine was probably mostly IPS glow, w/ a tiny bit of bleed, but I described it as light shining on the screen near the bezel, and very visible on black screens. And expect to talk to several people. I must have spoken to 3-4 tech people over the course of three days, until they finally got my return set up. It also didn't help that one of the techs had a technical problem with his computer, and another had a bad headset so it sounded like he was speaking through a tin can. Be persistent if you want a return and make sure you get the RMA number (which Dell sorta forgot to give me originally).

Last edited:
Back