College President 'Prostitution' Web Site Ruled Legal

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to crusty old old laws that never took the internet into account, a prostitution website run by a couple college professors has been deemed "legal." YES! My plans for the weekend are saved! :D

A website that authorities say two aging professors used to run a multistate prostitution ring is legal, a state judge has ruled, highlighting the difficulties that prosecutors face in using decades-old laws to combat a modern phenomenon.

Last edited:
I'll guarantee there will be at least one new law passed in 49 states by this time next year.

Ok, it might take a little more than a ear, we are talking politics, but they'll be all over this I'm sure.

never understood why it was made illegal in the first place

Sex is legal
Making money is legal

Making money by sex is illegal... whoever thought that up was brain damaged.

its the oldest profession, just look at nevada, they allow it, and there is health laws to protect both parties, why not just take up the nevada approach, might even help "stimulate" the economy.

Pun intended

Doesn't Amsterday have it legalized as well? Same thing with Marijuana - why don't they leagalize that everywhere? Maybe I'm oversimplifying but it just seems absolutely rediculous some of the things that are deemed 'illegal'.

The reporting on this is just terrible. How can we possibly construct an opinion on this without pictures of the prostitutes?

I'm buying her time.

Whatever happens between two consenting adults during that time.... ;)

The reporting on this is just terrible. How can we possibly construct an opinion on this without pictures of the prostitutes?

Naturally+Yours+obesity+3.jpg

Good morning.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying but it just seems absolutely rediculous some of the things that are deemed 'illegal'.

Things are illegal because a society, its leaders, or both, decide at some point it should be illegal. As societies change, what is legal and what is not also changes. If something seems ridiculous it's usually because someone's sense of what should be socially acceptable clashes with that of whoever was responsible for enacting the laws at the time.

Sex is legal
Making money is legal

Sex is not always legal.
Making money is not always legal.

Just sayin'.

Prostitution should be legalized and then it could be regulated, taxed etc. It seems to work fine in Europe.

I wouldn't want to go balls deep in a gutterslut, but I don't have a problem with it being legal.

Incidentally, in regards to the fatty picture above; I just came back from a short trip to Germany/Poland (Euro cup and all) and it is shocking how few disgustingly obese people you see there.

Doesn't Amsterday have it legalized as well? Same thing with Marijuana - why don't they leagalize that everywhere? Maybe I'm oversimplifying but it just seems absolutely rediculous some of the things that are deemed 'illegal'.

Yes, and if I remember correctly, Siemen's made a kiosk for prostitutes to pay their taxes right on the street corner, and to get their tax reciept form there too.

Sex is legal
Making money is legal

religion. Its pretty much always to blame.

Not sure why they want to shut down the site that facilitates the crimes, it also facilitates charging people for the crimes. (Weather or not it should be a crime)

Sounds like some of our prudish laws are finally starting to crumble. This morning HuffPo announced that the SCOTUS declared television censorship (nudity/profanity) unconstitutional.

Pasting my comment from the site:

Fox and ABC has a good point. Parental Controls on televisions have matured since the V-chip introduced during Clinton's presidency. There should no longer be a need to censor public and cable television seeing how the internet is also unhindered.

I would imagine with this ruling, Comcast and other cable and television service providers will introduce set-top boxes with more robust parental controls for their customers. In addition, the FCC should now require television shows to warn their audience of the show's contents, like the MPAA and ESRB ratings do for movies and video games.

Face it, the United States is a country of prudes. Perhaps it's time we stop catering to fanatical conservative nanny laws and start being parents.

religion. Its pretty much always to blame.

QFT

The reason it's not legal is because of the antiquated views held by most people these days based on old school puritan values.

The religious people can't fathom the idea of anyone else having fun so it's been effectively shut down.

It's not called the worlds oldest profession for nothing - Just think if people had a legal and safe outlet for said sexual energy in addition to cleaner streets, and in improved economy, there would more than likely be a decrease in sexual assaults. Just think instead of having a pimp stringing a woman along with drugs and false promises she could work for a monitored and regulated facility. Who wouldn't want that?

Would I go to a hooker? Probably not (even though I am single - I just have better thing to spend money on) But someone else going and paying for a service does not effect me or anyone else at *ALL*.

It's sad that most of the bullshit we have to deal with these days concerns people who just want to be in others private business.

While I will personally never, ever "hire" a prostitute for any reason, I do think it's stupid that it's illegal. See the Penn & Teller's Bullshit episode about it..

While I will personally never, ever "hire" a prostitute for any reason, I do think it's stupid that it's illegal. See the Penn & Teller's Bullshit episode about it..

I'm not arguing the leagalize prostitution thing, but I do wonder why Penn and Teller, who both appear to have no higher education (unless you count Penn graduating from Clown College) are considered an informed source of information from which to form an opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Jillette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teller_(entertainer)

I'm not arguing the leagalize prostitution thing, but I do wonder why Penn and Teller, who both appear to have no higher education (unless you count Penn graduating from Clown College) are considered an informed source of information from which to form an opinion.

How about you watch the show before judging? If you were to look up where I went to school and what I did there, you would still know almost nothing about me. Is that how you would like to be judged?

P.S. Watch their episode about college, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Jillette
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teller_(entertainer)

They make pretty valid points on many topics.

Higher education these days is generally a moot point in regards to someone being "worthy" of being a informed source of information. I have people on my team who have masters degrees, who outside their specific skill set are fucking idiots who I am surprised can even manage to operate the elevator buttons on their way into work.

They make pretty valid points on many topics.

Higher education these days is generally a moot point in regards to someone being "worthy" of being a informed source of information. I have people on my team who have masters degrees, who outside their specific skill set are fucking idiots who I am surprised can even manage to operate the elevator buttons on their way into work.

Penn and Teller do a pretty decent job of researching their topic at times, and do talk to a number of experts and "experts" (read: nutjobs), but I often find myself coming to different conclusions. Sometimes they do a great job of trying to sum up a topic, and other times they are incredibly one sided.

And in the end, what DOES make them a worthy source? Personally I think they're a step or two more neutral than someone like Michael Moore, but still not as much as I'd like.

How about you watch the show before judging? If you were to look up where I went to school and what I did there, you would still know almost nothing about me. Is that how you would like to be judged?

P.S. Watch their episode about college, too.

Do you feel that commentary on "The View" is valid?

Penn and Teller do a pretty decent job of researching their topic at times, and do talk to a number of experts and "experts" (read: nutjobs), but I often find myself coming to different conclusions. Sometimes they do a great job of trying to sum up a topic, and other times they are incredibly one sided.

And in the end, what DOES make them a worthy source? Personally I think they're a step or two more neutral than someone like Michael Moore, but still not as much as I'd like.

You should be getting information from as many sources as possible, and you should be aggregating everything and drawing your own conclusions. I still think P&T make a damn good show, but I never implied that they are perfect or that one should blindly listen to them. You shouldn't just accept what any source says without thinking about it, P&T or otherwise.

As you said, they do often get a lot of good experts on the subject. Conversely, they do get a lot of nutjobs as well at times, but sometimes that's unavoidable. And some of them are some very high profile nutjobs e.g. Noam Chomsky.

Do you feel that commentary on "The View" is valid?

Dude wants to continue this without knowing anything about the show except that P&T didn't go to college... Do you just hate people who didn't go to college in general? Do you refuse to do business with or listen to people without a degree from a school that you approve of? I hope you aren't in charge of hiring people at your job, and I hope you are never allowed to be.

Bullshit isn't just a show where you sit and listen to P&T tell you what you should think. It's a show that shows two sides of an issue. And come on, a lot of viewpoints about certain issues are just WRONG and it wouldn't even be POSSIBLE to find a counter-view that wasn't ridiculous.. sure, they often go out of their way to make one side look bad, but it's generally deserved! Besides, it's supposed to be a show to encourage thinking about stuff for yourself, too.

Dude wants to continue this without knowing anything about the show except that P&T didn't go to college... Do you just hate people who didn't go to college in general? Do you refuse to do business with or listen to people without a degree from a school that you approve of? I hope you aren't in charge of hiring people at your job, and I hope you are never allowed to be.

Bullshit isn't just a show where you sit and listen to P&T tell you what you should think. It's a show that shows two sides of an issue. And come on, a lot of viewpoints about certain issues are just WRONG and it wouldn't even be POSSIBLE to find a counter-view that wasn't ridiculous.. sure, they often go out of their way to make one side look bad, but it's generally deserved! Besides, it's supposed to be a show to encourage thinking about stuff for yourself, too.

Jumping to a conclusion about my exposure to the show in question isn't possible without having more information. Assuming I disregard any and all persons based upon credentials is also another somewhat premature conclusion.

So, do you think The View has valid commentary? Your evasion of the question makes it pretty clear you can tell I'm leading you to a corner.

Since you won't go along for the ride, I'll just point out that you might find Penn and Teller insightful because the perspective they present to their audience is agreeable. Since they're media entities, it's impossible to tell if they actually feel a certain way about what they're presenting. They're biased because they depend on a certain demographic audience for fame and income so they're going to appeal to that demographic regardless of how they actually feel. Any entertainer is wise to know their audience and fill their expected role to generate money. A different set of celebs who present a disagreeable opinion (The View) does the same thing to their target audience. Ultimately, the point I'm getting at is one you've already made. A single source isn't a hot idea. A celebrity single source is probably even less so.

I have never watched the View. I don't like a single person on it. And I am not about to watch it even once based on your comment, because I really don't care. The purpose of the View is not the same as Bullshit, and I don't understand why you're trying to draw a comparison there. You think you are leading me into some corner, but in reality you just have no idea what you're talking about.

Incidentally, in regards to the fatty picture above; I just came back from a short trip to Germany/Poland (Euro cup and all) and it is shocking how few disgustingly obese people you see there.

This is true just about anywhere outside the US.

I have to retune my chick goggles everytime I leave the country.

Back