Open Letter To ISPs: How Much We Are Being Surveilled

HardOCP News

[H] News
How often does the government demand our private data? I'm no expert but I think it is safe to say "probably a LOT." ;)

There’s an implicit bargain between users and these online services. We trust you with our data and let you use it to serve us ads in exchange for free or cheap services. But trust is rooted in transparency. And right now, there’s no sizable company doing it right when it comes to telling us what data is being stored and how often and how the world’s governments come asking for it. It’s time for that to change.

One big ad for Sonic.net. Aren't they a small regional isp in CA that no one really knows about?

Yes, Sonic.net is a regional ISP in california (serving the greater Bay Area, and expanded recently into the greater Los Angeles area). They currently sell line shared AT&T ADSL1, ADSL2 as a CLEC in AT&T COs, are in progress building out their own fiber in Sebastapol, CA, and are in the planning phase for a fiber build out in San Francisco. They also do dial up and business services.

I think they're a good model of what a regional ISP can do. It's unfortunate that there aren't many regional ISPs in the rest of the country. :(

Once everyone uses cloud, getting your personal info will be a breeze, and you'll never know that it was looked at.

Easy fix. Unplug cord. Done. That was easy.

The internet is a public network. Treat it as such. When I'm online, I don't think of any of my information as private (users, yes; governments, ISP's, ad's etc. not private at all). I hope that my financial information is encrypted and whatnot to keep it out of the hands of the Average Joe, but once it's there, I don't expect it to remain hidden or secret from the Government or others that can get access to it.

[H] crowd excluded, it's always funny that people get so outraged when the government does something, rather than when private company does it.

"What's that Target? You need to scan my Driver's License for a return? Sure here you go. Just because you asked me nicely!"

It's like the old mantra about healthcare "Don't let the government get between you and your doctor." Oh but insurance companies can rape you 3-ways. That's fine as long as it's the capitalist thing to do.

I'm not even sure what i'm ranting about at this point....derp de derp derp tek er jeeebs :mad:

[H] crowd excluded, it's always funny that people get so outraged when the government does something, rather than when private company does it.

"What's that Target? You need to scan my Driver's License for a return? Sure here you go. Just because you asked me nicely!"

It's like the old mantra about healthcare "Don't let the government get between you and your doctor." Oh but insurance companies can rape you 3-ways. That's fine as long as it's the capitalist thing to do.

I'm not even sure what i'm ranting about at this point....derp de derp derp tek er jeeebs :mad:

you dirty liberal communist! you are stalin re-incarnate! you must obay the capitalist regime!

The only time Law Enforcement Agencies ask me for customer info is if the customer has committed a crime...

The only time Law Enforcement Agencies ask me for customer info is if the customer has committed a crime...

Or is a suspect involved in a crime. They have to get the stuff to conduct a proper investigation to figure out if someone was actually doing whatever it was that happened.

Or is a suspect involved in a crime. They have to get the stuff to conduct a proper investigation to figure out if someone was actually doing whatever it was that happened.

By the time it reaches us, the ISP, they have to have sufficient evidence for a judge to sign an order that the IP address/phone number/email address was involved in the crime. (The vast majority of which, sadly, are exploitation of a minor)

By the time it reaches us, the ISP, they have to have sufficient evidence for a judge to sign an order that the IP address/phone number/email address was involved in the crime. (The vast majority of which, sadly, are exploitation of a minor)

...well those guys deserve to rot in an open grave.

I thought about VPN to Russia, but then my family would be running around trying to find me. Meanwhile, I'm being waterboarded in Gitmo or where ever they're doing it these days.

Seriously , why don't more people look into VPN's? They are not expensive and you can even input the information into your router so all your devices are cloaked. Even if the NSA wasn't spying on us all I like doing this out of simple practice , if any Government/Corporation wants to spy on me than they will have to work for it. I'm not going to leave my traffic open for them to grab whatever they want from it.

Seriously , why don't more people look into VPN's? They are not expensive and you can even input the information into your router so all your devices are cloaked. Even if the NSA wasn't spying on us all I like doing this out of simple practice , if any Government/Corporation wants to spy on me than they will have to work for it. I'm not going to leave my traffic open for them to grab whatever they want from it.

Does that translate into, "I use a VPN to Russia so the NSA can't discover that I like to wear nothing but a few sticky waffles over the right places when I hop on Skype?"

:eek: Target requires a scan of driver's license to return things?

I'm usually more outraged when Gov't does it because usually there's no choice involved... When corporate, there are.... sometimes.... maybe... a little.... yea.... But I'm not happy about those either.

Dont send spam, host a web attack from your network, download illegal files, or participate in illegal activities that can get tracked back to your ip and we'll respect your privacy. As an ISP we try to remain agnostic to what you do on the net, but dumbasses and supoenas keep making it hard for us to keep our noses out.

Dont send spam, host a web attack from your network, download illegal files, or participate in illegal activities that can get tracked back to your ip and we'll respect your privacy. As an ISP we try to remain agnostic to what you do on the net, but dumbasses and supoenas keep making it hard for us to keep our noses out.

I didn't use LOIC before it was cool. :rolleyes:

Theres more to it than just crimes. If you think its just about crimes then your not awake. You don't see the big picture behind the smoke screen.;)

Theres more to it than just crimes. If you think its just about crimes then your not awake. You don't see the big picture behind the smoke screen.;)

Perhaps I don't mind that there's a bigger picture because I realize there's no point in discussing it in a forum where conversations should consist only of idiotic jokes.

Does that translate into, "I use a VPN to Russia so the NSA can't discover that I like to wear nothing but a few sticky waffles over the right places when I hop on Skype?"

So you're from the NSA and you saw how my average Friday goes? THANKS FOR RUINING MY LIFE *CRIES*

Once everyone uses cloud, getting your personal info will be a breeze, and you'll never know that it was looked at.

everyone already uses "cloud" and have been since the internet started.think email services.. IM services. and so on.. all your data is stored out in the internet... i really don't like the word "cloud", "cloud" computing has been around since the internet began... but some marketing people made it all cool now so everything is "cloud"!

If net neutrality was in effect this wouldn't be an issue since isp's would just claim that they are nothing but dumb pipe providers and all content is treated the same.

everyone already uses "cloud" and have been since the internet started.think email services.. IM services. and so on.. all your data is stored out in the internet... i really don't like the word "cloud", "cloud" computing has been around since the internet began... but some marketing people made it all cool now so everything is "cloud"!

Cloud is replacing your harddrive for a remote server someplace. So you can access it no matter where you are. Pretty different than some emails vs having your really private stuff on your own harddrive.

So you're from the NSA and you saw how my average Friday goes? THANKS FOR RUINING MY LIFE *CRIES*

Oh don't feel bad. I think the waffles were a great idea!

Fine, I'll buy you some delicious breakfast at Waffle House using my NSA credit card...which is funded by your tax dollars...but let's not dwell on that part.

Back