AMD Supercomputing Leadership Continues

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced its continued leadership in high performance computing (HPC) with 24 of the top 100 supercomputers in the 39th TOP500 list, announced today, while making significant strides in maturing its HPC ecosystem through the addition of several key components that enable end users to continue to benefit from best-in-class price/performance1 for today’s demanding applications.

So they have computers 99, 98, 97...ect :p

So they have computers 99, 98, 97...ect :p

Eh, depends on what you're doing....[H] has most of the top-most folding folk, and all of them without exception are running AMD servers. Simply because they perform far better for half the price.

Eh, depends on what you're doing....[H] has most of the top-most folding folk, and all of them without exception are running AMD servers. Simply because they perform far better for half the price.

sometimes even less.

more bang for the buck IMHO :D

#6 the cray jaguar is a 3 year old built on amd opteron, all systems above it are newer.

I don't understand the "leadership" claim. The vast majority of the Top 100 is either IBM or Intel.

I don't understand the "leadership" claim. The vast majority of the Top 100 is either IBM or Intel.

Legitimately, they are ahead of VIA and Qualacomm on the super computing front. Pizza Hut and Nike probably can't even hope to compete. AMD is leading a lot of companies.

On a serious note, what would the world be like if AMD shut their doors?

Legitimately, they are ahead of VIA and Qualacomm on the super computing front. Pizza Hut and Nike probably can't even hope to compete. AMD is leading a lot of companies.

I'm not trying to bash AMD at all, I just think of "leaders" in an industry as being first, on top. You know, ahead of all the "followers". :p

I'm not trying to bash AMD at all, I just think of "leaders" in an industry as being first, on top. You know, ahead of all the "followers". :p

I gotcha! I'm not really defending AMD except to say that I'd hate to see them leave the market because of what I fear Intel would turn into as a result. Having 24 of the top Top100 isn't too bad considering AMD is a lot smaller than Intel and has a lot less money to throw at R&D. And, you have to admit, they do make faster CPUs than Pizza Hut, though I hear AMD cheesy bread sticks taste a lot like silicon wafers. :p

I'm not trying to bash AMD at all, I just think of "leaders" in an industry as being first, on top. You know, ahead of all the "followers".

well considering they have almost 25% of the market share of super computers in the top 100, i think that speaks enough for them to be called a leader.

Their highest ranked system is more than 3 years old. I am sure a new AMD based super computer is around the corner. Based on the new bulldozer opteron, and firepro gpus.

Considering Amd overtook nvidia in pure compute performance with the new gpus, and their bulldozer arch is designed for parallelism. I have no doubts they would be able to take the number 1 spot.

Considering Amd overtook nvidia in pure compute performance with the new gpus, and their bulldozer arch is designed for parallelism. I have no doubts they would be able to take the number 1 spot.

Don't forget that these kinds of systems are built based on customer requirements rather than for the sake of being able to score high in LINPAK. Someone has to actually go poke AMD and say, "Hey, I want something that has *holds arms way out to either side* this much computing power and here's your mega-bajillions of monies to build it."

That means that literally any company asked to pull off number 1 that has the resources and knowledge to do so can (AMD included). Someone just has to ask and be able to fund it.

Don't forget that these kinds of systems are built based on customer requirements rather than for the sake of being able to score high in LINPAK. Someone has to actually go poke AMD and say, "Hey, I want something that has *holds arms way out to either side* this much computing power and here's your mega-bajillions of monies to build it."

That means that literally any company asked to pull off number 1 that has the resources and knowledge to do so can (AMD included). Someone just has to ask and be able to fund it.

oh trust me i know these just don't get made for giggles. Would be nice though if someone funded the creation of the next AMD supercomputer though.

Seriously, not so good. Although I wouldn't assume that Intel and nVidia could simply jack their prices up like "the bad old days", Moore's law has taken a beating and new kit barely eeks out the last chip. Chips have to compete against the installed base and are having a tough go at it.

Also, AMD has 25%. Microsoft is in the Pizza Hut category of supercomputers.

Back