Facebook Wants Your (Verified) Cell Phone Number

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let me see if I got this straight. Facebook wants my cell phone number so that, after they get hacked, they can text me a new password? How would I know it is Facebook texting me and not the hackers...you know...because now they HAVE MY PHONE NUMBER!?!? :rolleyes:

If Facebook were to get hacked or an individual got their account stolen, having confirmed phone numbers lets Facebook wipe people’s passwords immediately and send them new ones via SMS. That means it wouldn’t have to rely on emailing users to get them to change their own passwords, which the Cloudmark blog showed doesn’t work so well since those messages often get ignored like spam.

It has been that way for over a year or so. Facebook outright required my phone number and locked me out of my own account. So I got in and deleted my Facebook account, that was the last draw in the creep factor.

do they want my bank account number also?

Good idea. In case someone gets your info, they can transfer all your money out and into another account. For safety. You'll need to throw your SSN up there, too.

"If Facebook were to get hacked or an individual got their account stolen, having confirmed phone numbers lets Facebook wipe people’s passwords immediately and send them new ones via SMS. "

So why is this bad? If a hacker sends a fake password, big deal. I can't log in with it. But if Facebook sends me a new password, then I am good (and I would think I would have to change it right away).

The only negative I can see is if these hackers also can see my text messages and change the password before I can get to it. But that is a completely different (and much more personal) situation that is highly unlikely to happen.

Steve, the system is designed such that you have to give facebook your cellphone number, and then they will SMS you a new one if your account is compromised. The only way this could be used against you is if someone stole your cellphone too. If some random idiot sends you a facebook password via sms, obviously it's not going to work. I fail to see your confusion.

Blizzard have this SMS protect thing too which require our real phone number. I believe its mandatory for us to use it if we want to use its Diablo 3 RMAH.

I can imagine that facebook users will soon be getting a bunch of marketing text messages (e.g. buy this viagara pill for 2.99 each) because the site will surreptitiously sell their phone mobile numbers to sleazy companies.

It has been that way for over a year or so. Facebook outright required my phone number and locked me out of my own account. So I got in and deleted my Facebook account, that was the last draw in the creep factor.

What? Why did it require you to give a phone number? Are you sure it wasn't just asking you nicely opposed to forcing you? :p I've never ever had to input my phone number. gmail often asks me for my phone number too, you don't have to give it though.

I can imagine that facebook users will soon be getting a bunch of marketing text messages (e.g. buy this viagara pill for 2.99 each) because the site will surreptitiously sell their phone mobile numbers to sleazy companies.

this was my first thought. virgin moblie already sends me enough BS spam text, I dont need more.

The millions of mindless zombies using Facebook will surely give up their cell phone numbers in order to continue posting stupid drama.

Steve, the system is designed such that you have to give facebook your cellphone number, and then they will SMS you a new one if your account is compromised. The only way this could be used against you is if someone stole your cellphone too. If some random idiot sends you a facebook password via sms, obviously it's not going to work. I fail to see your confusion.

Scenario #A

Hacker has ALL my personal info....AND my phone number now too. Can do all the regular identity theft things to me...plus more. Such as...

Scenario #B

Hacker gets into Facebook.

Hacker has your phone number.

Hacker pretends to be Facebook and texts you requesting your info....

Scenario #C

Hacker / Crook calls you, knows your name, age, D.O.B., spouses name, type of vehicle you drive....pretends to be the police: "your son has been in an accident, it is an emergency....we just need some personal info and your authorization to treat him."

The scenarios are endless... and the Facebook masses would fall for those in a heartbeat. :(

If you fail to see why that is bad, there is no explaining it to you. Seriously. :rolleyes:

They are turning in to a Monster. They all do, eventually. They need to eat up everything in their sights, just to keep going. :eek:

When they stop saying "don't be evil", then you know its too late.

Unless they hack your account and change the phone #.

Reminds me of when my iTunes account got hacked. They changed the email address so when I reset the password it kept going to their email address. Apples retarded "support team" couldn't understand this simple concept and wouldn't change the email address. They just kept resending password reset emails to the hackers. Luckily I had no purchased apps and I just created a new iTunes account.

What? Why did it require you to give a phone number? Are you sure it wasn't just asking you nicely opposed to forcing you? :p I've never ever had to input my phone number. gmail often asks me for my phone number too, you don't have to give it though.

Yes it was requiring my phone number, I have no idea why as it didn't say. I get the occasional message from gmail and yahoo to add my number but it is not a requirement and they don't go locking down my account.

Um, not to play the devil's advocate here but why would hackers text you a new password? I can see them texting you asking for info but not volunteering it.

has anyone here NOT heard of google voice?

My actual cell number is a prized possession to me I don't give it out like candy. If a company or business wants my number and they aren't something major (like auto finance/banking/etc) then they get a google voice number. Anyone that actually calls my google voice number gets automatically sent to voice mail. If it's important they leave a message.

This weeds out all the bullshit and minimizes my risk of getting SMS spammed, or robo dialed.

I will say if I had it in my power, these "political surveys" i got for the past few days, I'd string up the owner of that system in public and let everyone in this country take ONE swing. Thank god for Verizon's number blocking feature.

Google wants your cell phone number, even Blizzard wants your cell phone number. Is this really even news? A lot of FB users have already given the website their cell phone number in order to receive SMS updates on their friends and on their own content.

A lot of reactive, uninformed, and paranoid types ITT.

I better send in some semen samples , DNA samples and perhaps my first born to Facebook so they can identify me next time around.

They should take your social security number too, that way if anything happens they can just contact the government to reset your password XD

Google wants your cell phone number, even Blizzard wants your cell phone number. Is this really even news? A lot of FB users have already given the website their cell phone number in order to receive SMS updates on their friends and on their own content.

My troll alarm is going off.

Well why wouldn't an NSA-front *cough* I mean social networking site want your phone number? :D

FYI, all of the data that corporations collect is willingly given to government agencies.
If I find the news article I'll post it, it was from a few months back.

Hate to break it to you, but this isn't 1984 conspiracy, it's a common fact.
Oh well, the government owns your ass anyways... so what are you waiting for, submit slave! :p

I wish I could find the information I've read before, but I can't, so this will read a bit more paranoid that I'd prefer it to sound (though having seen some of this stuff in action, it's really not terribly paranoid).

The name of the game for companies like FaceBook and Google is advertising revenue. Check their balance sheets for their revenue streams (Google's revenue is 96% advertising).

The holy grail of advertising is identity, and being able to tie as much information to a real identity to increase the likelihood of successful, targeted advertising, and to sell that to others for the same purpose.

Now, mobile numbers can't be sold and called by telemarketers like landlines, but a company can use the number to query your information from mobile phone carriers, or correlate that information against stuff like when you give your number to Home Depot or Lowes when you give it up at the check-out (newsflash: they sell that information). *

If you've paid by credit/debit, that information gets logged as well, and tied to your account practices, which is also sold and passed around.

Oh, but wait, all these companies are doing this for your benefit to make the service better for you. My bad, move along and be happy... (Or think about why Google made such a huge stink about real names in G+...)

:)

* You never have to do this, or give up your email address or whatever else they ask you for. Just say, "No Thanks." But keep in mind if you submit for a warranty, rebate, in-store credit card, some gift cards, and various other things, you're already giving up your d

I wish I could find the information I've read before, but I can't, so this will read a bit more paranoid that I'd prefer it to sound (though having seen some of this stuff in action, it's really not terribly paranoid).

The name of the game for companies like FaceBook and Google is advertising revenue. Check their balance sheets for their revenue streams (Google's revenue is 96% advertising).

The holy grail of advertising is identity, and being able to tie as much information to a real identity to increase the likelihood of successful, targeted advertising, and to sell that to others for the same purpose.

Now, mobile numbers can't be sold and called by telemarketers like landlines, but a company can use the number to query your information from mobile phone carriers, or correlate that information against stuff like when you give your number to Home Depot or Lowes when you give it up at the check-out (newsflash: they sell that information). *

If you've paid by credit/debit, that information gets logged as well, and tied to your account practices, which is also sold and passed around.

Oh, but wait, all these companies are doing this for your benefit to make the service better for you. My bad, move along and be happy... (Or think about why Google made such a huge stink about real names in G+...)

:)

* You never have to do this, or give up your email address or whatever else they ask you for. Just say, "No Thanks." But keep in mind if you submit for a warranty, rebate, in-store credit card, some gift cards, and various other things, you're already giving up your d

QFT. They aren't offering you a free product, you are the product.

I dont really see the problem with this. I am also continually amused at all the people who are holier than thou because they dont have a facbook account yet they are a member of this site which shares many similarities.

Maybe facebook is wondering if they already got hacked.

Anyways I think facebook should require a phone number and credit card info and a scan of your ID (driver's license is acceptable), and of course social security number for US residents.

This site shares far, far fewer similarities. I don't have to use my normal name or even normal online screenname, or provide any information about myself at all. It also does not harvest data on me by proliferating like buttons or other social widgets that call back whenever I load them on someone else's page.

Don't get me wrong, there are benefits to users for some things like SMS tie-ins. Just ask CloudFlare's CEO. But it does cost.

Of course, it's also more complexity so it can fail in complex ways. :)

Amazing how it's assumed that EVERYONE has a cell phone, oh and broadband too.
Facebook, now your one-stop-shop for all your Identity Thieving needs. :rolleyes:
My cell # for Facebook access? Oh Hells No!

Amazing how it's assumed that EVERYONE has a cell phone, oh and broadband too.
Facebook, now your one-stop-shop for all your Identity Thieving needs. :rolleyes:
My cell # for Facebook access? Oh Hells No!

I bet most of the special social butterflies who have Facebook accounts also have a phone of the smartish sort even if they don't need one. It kinda fits the moron Facebook addict mold, right?

I bet most of the special social butterflies who have Facebook accounts also have a phone of the smartish sort even if they don't need one. It kinda fits the moron Facebook addict mold, right?
That's true, but not everyone. I've known people with FB accounts that didn't have a cell, so my comment is based in truth. Those people are probably a minority of FB users, but they do exist. I also know people who I'm surprised haven't walked in front of a bus or fallen down a manhole because they're so engrossed in their smartphone. Someone on their smartphone actually did walk in front of our car the other day, but I didn't know the future candidate for a Darwin Award.

ohhhhhh. NOW they want a number.

ah well. i guess i will have to give up 7 of the accounts.

ohhhhhh. NOW they want a number.

ah well. i guess i will have to give up 7 of the accounts.

Good point. Facebook is going to go from close to a billion accounts to more like 25-50 million accounts if they start killing accounts that don't end up with a real human associated with them. :D

Seeing the number drop will renew hope for humanity that there's far less than 1/6th of the world's population that are dirty addicts.

That's true, but not everyone. I've known people with FB accounts that didn't have a cell, so my comment is based in truth. Those people are probably a minority of FB users, but they do exist. I also know people who I'm surprised haven't walked in front of a bus or fallen down a manhole because they're so engrossed in their smartphone. Someone on their smartphone actually did walk in front of our car the other day, but I didn't know the future candidate for a Darwin Award.

Between FB and Gmail/Google constantly wanting my cellphone #, it's like argh! Oh we need it for you protection in case YOU get hacked or can't get into your account for whatever reason - we can text you a new password.

I have a "dumb" cellphone ... An old VW oyster (I'm still on the with taxes $17 a month for 100 minutes plan because the phone is for emergencies only. Well and all the credit card services/home security/electricity/survey crap that's wound up there) that I have texting turned off on. I loathed texting when I got the phone and I loathe it now. Plus texting really eats up your minutes when you're on a pre-paid.

FB, Gmail, I can't think of a site that NEEDS my cellphone or a site that's going to get my cellphone #.

Back