Woz: Apple Made a Stinking Mess Of Siri

HardOCP News

[H] News
Leave it to Woz to tell it like it is. :D

Woz explains that before Apple bought Siri, she would be able to tell him all the prime numbers greater than 87. After Apple got its hands on her, the answer to the same question was, allegedly, "prime rib." Why did it happen? "I'd like to know," says Woz.

What happened? Apple modified it to cater to the average idiot, who is not exactly a person who even knows what a prime number is.

Because Siri is a toy and not a tool. Pretty much like 90% of smartphone usage.

um, it interfaces with WA, it should be able to do that.

see:

6pKoS.png

If Siri was givin gall the primes greater than 87, she would still be spittin gthem out since there are an infinite number of them

I've never seen Siri. I like Apple stuff, but I have to say I'm not so sure I would like Siri. She sounds like a bitch.

What happened? Apple modified it to cater to the average idiot, who is not exactly a person who even knows what a prime number is.

Were it not for the fact that most of the really stupid people arguing for or against Apple's laptop in the no upgrade thread, that comment would have gotten them started here too.

If Siri was givin gall the primes greater than 87, she would still be spittin gthem out since there are an infinite number of them

You sure about that? Because I would assume that once you are passed a certain point there exist no prime numbers since the numbers as so massive that there has to be a number it is evenly divisible by other than one.

I have Skyvi on my Android phone and it's annoying as hell. The thing is better at giving me smart ass answers then correct ones. It especially hates to give me math solutions, which I thought was the most amazing thing about Siri.

I hate Apple like everyone else but I think Siri was a great idea, had it worked. I always end up going back to the built in voice command on my phone, cause it actually works. It may not talk back but it'll work.

Here's hoping Google will make one that has unique custom voices, like GLaDOS or KITT from Knight Rider.

You sure about that? Because I would assume that once you are passed a certain point there exist no prime numbers since the numbers as so massive that there has to be a number it is evenly divisible by other than one.

With INFINITE numbers, there will always be another, larger, prime number.

I have Skyvi on my Android phone and it's annoying as hell. The thing is better at giving me smart ass answers then correct ones. It especially hates to give me math solutions, which I thought was the most amazing thing about Siri.

I hate Apple like everyone else but I think Siri was a great idea, had it worked. I always end up going back to the built in voice command on my phone, cause it actually works. It may not talk back but it'll work.

Here's hoping Google will make one that has unique custom voices, like GLaDOS or KITT from Knight Rider.

I just asked my Android what 5+3 and the square root of 12, it opened the browser each time and gave me the answer, just like if you googled the problem, which is pretty much what the thing did.

yesterday i said to siri:

"bonobo kama sutra"

the response was hilarious.

Am I the only one more likely trying to find prime rib than prime numbers? I fail to see how this is a bad thing...

Woz is speaking too soon. Siri is still in Beta and is still being worked on -- I tested this on iOS 5 and it doesn't work, but on iOS 6 it works fine and pulls the info straight from Wolfram Alpha.

Clearly, this is who Siri was made for.

:p

no no no...

Thow must elevate one's thinking to the supreme heights of Apple.

Siri's algorithms are so far advanced beyond any other voice recognition program EVER, that it figured out the Woz was hungry when he asked the question and Siri told him what he was in the mood to eat!

Project Majel my friend. Google has been working and quietly hinting at it for the last 18 months. Probably get plenty more info later this month at Google I/O.

Woz is speaking too soon. Siri is still in Beta and is still being worked on -- I tested this on iOS 5 and it doesn't work, but on iOS 6 it works fine and pulls the info straight from Wolfram Alpha.

If you use the Google definition of Beta then yes I suppose it is still in "Beta", but by that definition virtually all software is Beta. Win7 and WinXP are still getting updates, so they must be in Beta too.

If you use the Google definition of Beta then yes I suppose it is still in "Beta", but by that definition virtually all software is Beta. Win7 and WinXP are still getting updates, so they must be in Beta too.
That's not true, Siri is actually Beta software. Siri came out only speaking a few languages, and with some functionality limited to the U.S. It's been less than a year, and now with iOS 6 which should be released in a few months, Siri is becoming more advanced -- offering more information, more languages, extending those previously limited features to other parts of the world, and no doubt getting a lot of bug fixes and other improvements.

Guess it was pretty stupid of Apple to push a "beta" software so hard in their advertising, huh?

Back