Asus ROG Maximus V Extreme!! Bommmm... Oh Yeaaah.

NeoDiNardo

Limp Gawd
A little music to set the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLb9jPuDS9Y (must play while viewing photos!!)

Ohhhh Yea. Ohhh Yeaaaaah.

image.jpeg

The Mooonnn!!

image_2.jpeg

Beautiful...

image_4.jpeg

So Beautiful...

image_3.jpeg

Even more Beautiful, huh huh huh.

image_1.jpeg

Duo Bowt Bowt!!

http://rog.asus.com/114332012/maxim...imus-v-extreme-pushing-lga1155-to-its-limits/

Last edited:
Available in fall 2015.When it's going to be released Maximus V Extreme is going to be known as "the best previous generation motherboard".
The first Formula videos were released in April...2 moths later there's no release date, just some pictures and youtube videos

Last edited:
I would be all over one if it was going to come out at a reasonable price of under $400 but with that stupid Thunderbolt connection and everything else ASUS will no doubt be charging at least $450 if not $500. If I was going to spend that much money on a motherboard I would just go with the X79 Rampage IV Extreme and do another 3930k build.

I would be all over one if it was going to come out at a reasonable price of under $400 but with that stupid Thunderbolt connection and everything else ASUS will no doubt be charging at least $450 if not $500. If I was going to spend that much money on a motherboard I would just go with the X79 Rampage IV Extreme and do another 3930k build.

All of this.

Neat looking product...too late. I'll bet Haswell does not use 1155.

Too late and probably too expensive. Looks to be larger than E-ATX size. It does look nice though.

Haswell does not use 1155, it will use 1150. And Haswell will make top-end overclocking boards like this meaningless, since it incorporates the VRMs directly on the die instead of being on the motherboard. Pretty much the only thing that will distinguish 1150 boards will be aesthetics and peripherals. This will probably be known as one of the last great Intel overclocking boards.

Exactly, instead of ivy to haswell, upgrade ivy to ivy bridge extreme since you need a socket change at that point anyway. I'm sure the new chipsets will be better than sandy bridge extreme chipsets anyway and add native USB 3.

Last edited:
Question: Does the first PCI slot on this board line up with the first slot on say an FT02 case?

I don't get the point of these $400 Z77 boards. Sure it has more PCI lanes but why not just spend that same amount on a LGA 2011 motherboard + proc?

very nice - but probably wont be out for another two months.

anyway i am happy with my choice - evga z77 ftw

I don't get the point of these $400 Z77 boards. Sure it has more PCI lanes but why not just spend that same amount on a LGA 2011 motherboard + proc?

I don't plan on more than two GPUs but I want the slots for other things. Native PCI 3 (faster than 2.0 so kind of makes up for some lack of lanes with PLX chip) and Native USB 3... Most mostly cus I already bought a $307 out the door 3770k at microcenter, has better transcoding, and an integrated gpu to use while your selling/buying the next gpu series or as an emergency backup if your gpu fails, and it's really no slower for games and general use. Less power use, newer board with thunderbolt support... The ability to use my CPU in an HTPC when upgrade to Ivy bridge extreme's most likely better chipset over x79, or haswell. There are reasons like.

Last edited:

The M5E, like the red-and-black EVGA boards, are marketed towards benchers who do suicide runs under LN2, plus crazy people who just want ALL THE FEATURES.

The M5E, like the red-and-black EVGA boards, are marketed towards benchers who do suicide runs under LN2, plus crazy people who just want ALL THE FEATURES.

Oh i get that. But i was curious at how many units they sell that is considered good where they go and think "Dang, this board is popular and we need to come up with the next version"

Or they could care less because it is just a halo product that is more for marketing purposes.

Not to mention they need to be on top to filter down tech over time. I admit to a certain seduction for this board over actual need :)

Last edited:
I used to have a rampage extreme board back in the 920 days. I forget which model number. But I have to say the maximus name is cooler just in shallow respects. I've owned the M4E-Z. Every time I buy one of these boards I think off the movie Gladiator when they start shouting "Maximus - Maximus - Maximus!!!"

here is my question

that middle, black PCIe slot...do they let you allocate lanes so you can configure tri fire/SLI with dual slot cards and a space between cards?

I know the PLX chip is bypassed automatically if you only run two PCI slots, or is that only two GPUs? Something like that. So perhaps that will be automatic too, but I bet that slot is black for a reason.

I know the PLX chip is bypassed automatically if you only run two PCI slots, or is that only two GPUs? Something like that. So perhaps that will be automatic too, but I bet that slot is black for a reason.

My M4Gene uses a similar basic coding. On it, the red lanes are electrically slaved together to become x8/x8 when both are populated, where as the black x4 lane is independent. Probably something similar here.

Price seems to be $400 for the Extreme and $300 for the Formula. About 4-6 weeks for the extreme and about 1-2 weeks for the Formula (based on web chatter).

If true, anyone tempted to step down to the Formula?

I was thinking of buying the Extreme and selling off that Gpu key over clock device to help pay for the mobo.

Get all over it, it's $399.99!!!

formula is available for 295 at a couple of sites for preorders

Ahh, so the Extreme ignores the hybrid water/air heatsinks of the Formula... good choice.

Arrival date is 7/26. I don't feel so bad about not waiting anymore.

They are saying Monday for newegg on asus rog forums and excaliberpc has it listed for 7/8/12 arrival, just more expensive

I guess we'll see if anything happens on Monday

Aaand formula is out on newegg :D

$289.99 isn't too bad for a top-end 1155 board and is still under the bottom/mid-tier 2011 offerings. Unless Haswell is either underwhelming compared to Ivy/Sandy, or Haswell is delayed....it seems a bit late to be releasing a top-end 155 board.

$289.99 isn't too bad for a top-end 1155 board and is still under the bottom/mid-tier 2011 offerings. Unless Haswell is either underwhelming compared to Ivy/Sandy, or Haswell is delayed....it seems a bit late to be releasing a top-end 155 board.

Perhaps for all you early adopters, but I need a system now. Worked out for me. I pretty much decided wait for a big jump in power before leaving my Asus Maximus V Extreme. I may not even do Haswell. I would do the formula, but those heatsinks on the formula are pretty dumb looking. The Extreme is much better. Plus I like all the extra slots and features.

Back