Lepa G Series 1600W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Lepa G Series 1600W Power Supply Review - LEPA is an Ecomaster company and Ecomaster distributes Enermax products and has Enermax design the LEPA PSU line. So what are our expectations from the current ultimate desktop PSU packing a whopping 1600 watts? Should it be better than a four year old 1600 watt power supplies on the market?

I need one of these for a htpc build im going to do..... :D

Seriously, with things getting more energy efficient, the PS's keep getting bigger. hehe

I think I would rather have HQ then decent quality and more power.....

What would you even need this much power for? Seriously? Can you SLI 4 690's?

This is sheer stupidity. The maximum power any outlet can create is 1800 Watts (assuming perfect 120V) Also assuming a 90%+ efficiency you can pull 1620 Watts from the wall. This unit is 1600 Watts. 20 Watts isn't a lot of headroom.

Now any electrician will tell you you shouldn't pull more than 75%->80% of your circuit breakers rated load (15A). A little quick math with a 90% efficient PSU would mean about 1296 Watts maximum recommended PSU rating (Assuming you have nothing else plugged into the same circuit....No monitors, no light bulbs, no fans, no speakers, etc)

Like I said, it's sheer stupidity to buy this unit.

This is sheer stupidity. The maximum power any outlet can create is 1800 Watts (assuming perfect 120V) Also assuming a 90%+ efficiency you can pull 1620 Watts from the wall. This unit is 1600 Watts. 20 Watts isn't a lot of headroom.

Now any electrician will tell you you shouldn't pull more than 75%->80% of your circuit breakers rated load (15A). A little quick math with a 90% efficient PSU would mean about 1296 Watts maximum recommended PSU rating (Assuming you have nothing else plugged into the same circuit....No monitors, no light bulbs, no fans, no speakers, etc)

Unless you have a dedicated 20 amp breaker for your bench. Oh wait. I DO! Granted its currently powering two systems, but that could be remedied quickly.

Just because you have no use for a unit of this magnitude, doesn't mean no one does. Quad-Sli GTX480s on a SR-2 with two overclocked hex cores under water sounds like the perfect storm for this unit.

Now I think things are getting a bit carried away.

Unless you have a dedicated 20 amp breaker for your bench. Oh wait. I DO! Granted its currently powering two systems, but that could be remedied quickly.

Just because you have no use for a unit of this magnitude, doesn't mean no one does. Quad-Sli GTX480s on a SR-2 with two overclocked hex cores under water sounds like the perfect storm for this unit.

Lol? If anyone builds a SR-2 rig with 4 GTX 480's, they're morons.

Now that I think about it, It may not even be enough for that build, but my point stands. Just because you have no use for it doesn't mean no one does. Folders and Miners come to mind.

Ahem,

excuse me sir, I'll be needing your [H] card

They keep going on the PSU's you'll need a 30A RV style circuit to use it.

Seriously though a 20A circuit isn't that uncommon. If I was pushing a PSU like that I'd probably want it on a 20A to avoid the breaker tripping whenever you plugged the cell phone charger in. :p

They've fallen out of favor recently, but some people still run peltier coolers. Those, of course, need custom water cooling on top of that. Throw in some SLI or CrossFire action and you've got a perfect candidate rig for one of these. Granted, it's not for everybody, but a great option for those that need it.

Oh, and excellent review (as always).

Seriously though a 20A circuit isn't that uncommon. If I was pushing a PSU like that I'd probably want it on a 20A to avoid the breaker tripping whenever you plugged the cell phone charger in. :p

We had 20A circuits to the bedrooms, including the one our computers are in. Cool! Until the contractors we hired for our remodel discovered the lines to the bedrooms were only 14 gauge, and accordingly replaced the 20A breakers with 15A breakers.

A 15 amp circuit requires a 14 gauge wire, while 20 amp requires 12 gauge. If you've got 20 amp breakers and you're pushing it hard with huge PSUs like this, you should check to see if your lines are 12 gauge. If you've got 15 amp breakers and are thinking about putting in 20 amp breakers, may I please remind you that the circuit breakers are there to prevent wall fires.

I have 4 dedicated 20A circuits ran to my computer area. One for my server, NAS, and network stack. One for my wife's computers and printer. One for my workbench computer and accessories. The last one is for my main computer. A little overkill, but at the time I worked for an organization in the electrical industry and had plenty of electrician friends. I bought a few of the guys a 6 pack each and they ran the lines for me. The runs are a little long so we did them with 10Ga wire.

Anyway, 1600W. More than I need, but I wouldn't mind having a system that needed it!

We had 20A circuits to the bedrooms, including the one our computers are in. Cool! Until the contractors we hired for our remodel discovered the lines to the bedrooms were only 14 gauge, and accordingly replaced the 20A breakers with 15A breakers.

A 15 amp circuit requires a 14 gauge wire, while 20 amp requires 12 gauge. If you've got 20 amp breakers and you're pushing it hard with huge PSUs like this, you should check to see if your lines are 12 gauge. If you've got 15 amp breakers and are thinking about putting in 20 amp breakers, may I please remind you that the circuit breakers are there to prevent wall fires.

Just to be clear I never said anything about putting a 20A breaker on a 15A circuit. My point was it's fairly easy to find/have installed a 20A circuit. I suppose in countries where they are running 240V this PSU would run full tilt no problems .

funny because you can only get 1440 watts from a 15 amp circuit, 1152 watts at 80% efficiency.

Make sure to have your electrician put in a new 20A circuit if you want to use this and actually need it.

its not rocket science folks

12-2 romex, 20A duplex receptacle

black wire goes from the breaker to the narrow spade (brass colored screw), white wire goes from the neutral bus in the breaker panel with all the other white wires to the wide spade (silver colored screw) bare copper wire goes from the ground bus with the other bare wires to the green screw.

If you are putting in dedicated circuits for computer PSUs I would at least consider making them 240V circuits. IIRC PSUs generally have slightly better efficiency at 240V, wiring losses will be reduced and the ammount of power you can move with a given wire size will be increased.

If you are putting in dedicated circuits for computer PSUs I would at least consider making them 240V circuits. IIRC PSUs generally have slightly better efficiency at 240V, wiring losses will be reduced and the ammount of power you can move with a given wire size will be increased.

all true

My Corsair AX1200 did not come with the cord with the 220 wall plug, don't know if the unit reviewed here includes one. You could wire 220 to a normal duplex and it would work but please take my advise and don't do it...sure as shit someone will forget and plug a 110 only something into it.

all true

My Corsair AX1200 did not come with the cord with the 220 wall plug, don't know if the unit reviewed here includes one. You could wire 220 to a normal duplex and it would work but please take my advise and don't do it...sure as shit someone will forget and plug a 110 only something into it.

Unless your national grid is actually rated 220V

Back