E3 2012 Wrap-Up

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In case you have been under a rock all week and missed it, the E3 Expo was held this week in Los Angeles. This year’s show unfortunately didn’t reveal any futuristic technology or major surprises for that matter, but it did have some high points worth exploring. To expedite the process, Engadget has compiled a recap of the week’s news of everything you need to know about E3 2012.

No major surprises? Beyond? Watch Dogs? Star Wars: 1313? Unreal Engine 4? Luminous engine?

No major surprises? Beyond? Watch Dogs? Star Wars: 1313? Unreal Engine 4? Luminous engine?

Nope.

E3 isn't nearly the big deal it once was. The two biggest no shows IMO were GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite.

The Tokyo Game Show and Gamers Developers Conference are going to probably shed some more light on some things for us but clearly barring a shock we knew Bioshock was a 2013 title but I think GTA 5 is also a 2013 title.

We'll see.

Yeh, pretty "meh" E3 IMO, to be expected. Next year's E3 should have a lot more going in with Microsoft and Sony approaching the launch of their next gen consoles.

I'm not a console gamer, but PC gaming will benefit from new hardware on the console side as well.

What's sad is that I'm much more interested in the WWDC tomorrow, I knew this E3 was going to be bs. Next year should be fairly insane though.

Fuck that was depressing

I know E3 has been shit for the last 11 years, but fucking seriously, this was the fucking highlights of the show?

Dear god, why even fucking hold it anymore? I think the issue of having booth babes or not is the least of E3's fucking problems right now.

did nvidia mention anything during E3? I had hoped for more news on their mainstream stuff.

Welcome to the new generation of gaming.

It's no longer about studios making games for fun, but rather big corporations pushing an assembly line of developers to produce titles that appeal to the largest audience possible. That and forcing DLC/add-ons down our throat including pre-order DLC, exclusive DLC, on-disk DLC, DLC for DLC, monthly DLC, microtransactions, etc.

I think people who have been gaming since the 90s tend to realize this more-so than people who are "new" and just think this is how things are. I find it extremely hard to justify $60 for a game anymore.

Welcome to the new generation of gaming.

It's no longer about studios making games for fun, but rather big corporations pushing an assembly line of developers to produce titles that appeal to the largest audience possible. That and forcing DLC/add-ons down our throat including pre-order DLC, exclusive DLC, on-disk DLC, DLC for DLC, monthly DLC, microtransactions, etc.

I think people who have been gaming since the 90s tend to realize this more-so than people who are "new" and just think this is how things are. I find it extremely hard to justify $60 for a game anymore.

DLC for DLC! ;)

On a side note, assuming that you (not you in specific, but people in general) were 8-12 years old in 1990 and playing games then, you're 30+ now, have career and family responsibilites to worry about. I would think that to suck an adult away from more significant matters to play video games becomes progressively more and more difficult for a variety of reasons.

E what? That thing is still around? :rolleyes:
@SkribbelKat - true, but some of us are 40+, and we are also jaded too, oh and have rose colored glasses when it comes to gaming back in the '80-'90s. It is just simply amazing the exponential difference between the way games looked back then to how they look now. Gameplay? The basic concepts haven't changed much except for a blending of genres. But for the most part, an FPS is still an FPS, an RPG is still an RPG, etc. So when these "shows" come out touting the new games, what I'm really looking for is innovation and creativity. I sure don't see much.

I guess we really need to ask the question, what do we want in the end game? Are we gradually working into an online virtual reality where anything is possible? Will it be a game anymore then?

E what? That thing is still around? :rolleyes:
@SkribbelKat - true, but some of us are 40+, and we are also jaded too, oh and have rose colored glasses when it comes to gaming back in the '80-'90s. It is just simply amazing the exponential difference between the way games looked back then to how they look now. Gameplay? The basic concepts haven't changed much except for a blending of genres. But for the most part, an FPS is still an FPS, an RPG is still an RPG, etc. So when these "shows" come out touting the new games, what I'm really looking for is innovation and creativity. I sure don't see much.

What does it take to make something new though? I've blown the horn before. There's lots of costs in making a game and lots of risk so publishers are reluctant to try anything new. Add to that the fact that it's genuienly hard to come up with an original idea that isn't just a minor twist on an existing idea and things start looking rather bleak for the future of games. I don't know about you, but I don't have time to throw into trying a bunch of different games so the few I do get a chance to play need to be really good and fit well into a lifestyle that has interruptions from kids, work, the dishwasher exploding, and so on. There's not much that fits so I'm resigned to not playing much.

I guess we really need to ask the question, what do we want in the end game?

The answer is probably different for a lot of people, but I think something like The UnReal World is sort of what I'm after. Something that runs on just about any kind of computer and I can ignore it to scoop out the kitty box without a bunch of people in a guild getting miffed because I'm AFK. :)

www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html

Are we gradually working into an online virtual reality where anything is possible? Will it be a game anymore then?

I thought that's something the people who make Second Life are trying to do. And, the way some people treat their games, they're taken with seriousness equal to real life matters. For those people, whether or not they want it to be so, it already isn't just a game.

I guess we really need to ask the question, what do we want in the end game?

-No shitty online-only DRM
-No overly-restrictive DRM period
-Consistently better graphics
-DLC that is actually worth buying

Basically, better graphics/gameplay but with the ideals and principles set "back in the day".

Sadly, we will never see that because gaming is no longer an art form for most of these companies and all they see is dollar signs.

Hopefully Kickstarter/indie developers can help bring us back to where we should be, but I don't think the industry is going to radically change any time soon.

Back