New Leaked Screenshots of Metro-Style Hotmail

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After a 16 year run, Hotmail may be in for a big change, including a possible name change. Liveside.net claims to have screenshots originating from a German site, WinFuture, of the new look along with a placeholder name change to Newmail. The new look will coincide with Microsoft’s push to the Metro-style. It could be all smoke and mirrors at this point, but it looks convincing.

We understand that “Newmail” will be available on an opt-in basis (at least for the beginning), so users who prefer the old Hotmail experience can continue to use it for a while.

Hotmail already changed to live.com so it already had a name change from hotmail.

The horror!

my-eyes-the-goggles-do-nothing.jpg

It's nice to see a consistent, clean interface. I hope this is the real thing.

Do people still use Hotmail? Most everyone I know uses Gmail, Yahoo, or their own domain.

Do people still use Hotmail? Most everyone I know uses Gmail, Yahoo, or their own domain.

I use Hotmail, Gmail, and one other unmentionable company for e-mail. Hotmail is probably the best of the bunch. I use Gmail for to give to places that I know will spam me.

I haven't used Hotmail in about 10 years, so while this looks much better, use of Metro UI (in at least some cases) should be terminated with extreme prejudice (I'm looking at you, Xbox 360)

So they know everyone hates it...it gives no benefit or improvement...yet they keep pushing this shit, why?

This is the first thing with the name metro attached too it that doesn't look like it was designed for a 2 year old. This is a vast improvement over the old hotmail, though I still have effectively no use for hotmail once google implements their improved version of skydrive.

So they know everyone hates it...it gives no benefit or improvement...yet they keep pushing this shit, why?

The [H] and our circles of technical friends and colleges in the IT department doesn't quite constitute as everyone. :p

Maybe they don't want google analyzing their emails along with their web searches. At least if hotmail is doing it, searches and emails wont be linked.

i really dislike this Metro stuff does not look good to me, reall love the windows 7 style

:/

after the descriptions and horror here, I was expecting something crazy and radical. That's not what's on the link, for those who haven't looked.

But my hotmail works brilliantly right now... another "update" for the sake of it i see!

Great. Don't worry about making other software more usable... efficient and less buggy. Just re-face shit that already works well that only just went through face lifts not long ago!

But my hotmail works brilliantly right now... another "update" for the sake of it i see!

Great. Don't worry about making other software more usable... efficient and less buggy. Just re-face shit that already works well that only just went through face lifts not long ago!

Want to tell us how Hotmail was buggy and inefficient?

Yes...they are just updating the look for shits a giggles. :rolleyes: It couldn't be that they want to have a consistent look and feel of all of their services, something Microsoft has been really bad about in the past, could it? INCONCEIVABLE!

Yes...they are just updating the look for shits a giggles. :rolleyes: It couldn't be that they want to have a consistent look and feel of all of their services, something Microsoft has been really bad about in the past, could it? INCONCEIVABLE!

He does have a point though. Outlook and Hotmail are quite horrendous products when looking deeply into them. I work in a web development firm and often have to write email templates. Outlook and Hotmail are simply scary to work with.

It's hard not to hate Microsoft when working as a web developer.

i really dislike this Metro stuff does not look good to me, reall love the windows 7 style

:/

me too.. I use live as my secondary email.. Hopefully we will have some time before they change it to metro like UI. :(

-Spend nearly 3 decades perfecting a user interface with multiple, resizable, overlapping windows
-Abandon it all in favor of full-screen, MS-DOS style "apps"
-???
-Profit

I really like that look. Hotmail has been bad for so long it is nice to see a big change...

This looks a LOT like the Metro email client in the Windows 8 Release Preview. Love or hate Metro, Microsoft is going all out on UI consistency, at least at an interplatform level.

As long they don't toss random Aero and Ribbon shit in there and create a clusterfuck out of it, then I'll be happy.

Unfortunately for Windows 8 as an OS I'm shit out of luck already with regards to clusterfuck user interfaces.

Maybe they don't want google analyzing their emails along with their web searches. At least if hotmail is doing it, searches and emails wont be linked.

Truth. I don't like my eggs in one basket. Otherwise I'd have switched to gmail long ago. Hotmail isn't bad at all. Has some interesting things that gmail doesn't, like alias stuff. Only problem I've had with hotmail (since using it in the 90's), is file attachments have issues on firefox when silverlight is enabled.

Very simple looking. Should go over quite well with a majority of the populace.

-Spend nearly 3 decades perfecting a user interface with multiple, resizable, overlapping windows
-Abandon it all in favor of full-screen, MS-DOS style "apps"
-???
-Profit

second that, it seems that Microsoft thinks that no one will ever have a need to have more than one app up at the same time. I am looking forward to having messenger span all 3 monitors :rolleyes:

man sounds like none of you have installed the lastest Win8 Preview. This is exactly like the mail client in Win8 now.

Back