New AMD E-Series APUs Set the High Bar

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD today announced the launch of its latest AMD E-Series Accelerated Processing Unit (APU) platform. Designed for essential notebook and desktop personal computers which meet basic performance needs at accessible price points, the 2012 AMD E-Series APU enables long battery life and a best-in-class entertainment and media experience, while striking a balance between energy efficiency and unique innovations for brilliant high definition (HD) entertainment.

Maybe they just threw a new model number on their graphics part and didn't make significant revisions. Someone will benchmark it and post numbers that quantify everything sooner or later.

Maybe they just threw a new model number on their graphics part and didn't make significant revisions. Someone will benchmark it and post numbers that quantify everything sooner or later.

Be as it may, I'd take an AMD HD7000 laptop over an Intel HD4000 laptop anyday. Desktops are another story.

Be as it may, I'd take an AMD HD7000 laptop over an Intel HD4000 laptop anyday. Desktops are another story.

For anything remotely entertainment related, I'd prefer it too. Despite the seemingly unimpressive changes to the E-series, I'm still looking into picking one up to eventually replace an Atom netbook.

For anything remotely entertainment related, I'd prefer it too. Despite the seemingly unimpressive changes to the E-series, I'm still looking into picking one up to eventually replace an Atom netbook.

Same, I really wouldnt mind having the R7000 chips in vs HD4000, bleh!

Hopefully this does well. AMD needs some good news and us AMD fanboys need something to brag about. Gaming? Who cares about gaming? Lets talk battery life! Yeah that's where it's at. :D

I read a bit about them on the link below the other day...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5937/amd-reveals-brazos-20-apus-and-fch

I think they are great if you get a deal on it... I got my e350 netbook on a black Friday sale maybe a year after it was released in my X120e. Original pricing was pretty steep.

I read that some schools were purchasing a similar model for students.

I just need to get myself a laptop that runs civ5 well... :p just as soon as I get a job... weather report does not seem to indicate employment... :)

Maybe the Radeon 7xxx vs the 6xxx?

Both the old and new E series APU's only support 80 shaders. We were promised more shaders (possibly 160) and quad core in the same power envelope on a 28nm process from the real Zacate successor before it was canceled. This is just a rebadge. There's no evidence those shaders are GCN shaders.

The only thing it looks like AMD did is bump is move the cpu to 32nm, bump the core 50mhz, and bump the GPU turbo by 80mhz...

This is an improvement, but it's pretty weak.

Normally I would agree, but the HD 4000 is suppose to be pretty good. Though comparing the Core i7 HD4000 vs an AMD E- series isnt exactly apples to apples.

weaksauce shaders.

the pentium hd4000 will beat this and have better battery life probably

weaksauce shaders.

the pentium hd4000 will beat this and have better battery life probably

I haven't really looked into direct comparisons between the HD4000 and the E-series (obviously last gen stuff) but I did notice that the E-series is easy to find in sub-12 inch laptops and is really inexpensive.

not really looked at the news on this as when i see AMD + E, E1/2 , C, G, Z (bobcat), I Feel I want to kill my self when working on them as they are Dreadful to work on when the CPU Load is required even to the point the Mouse starts to stutter,

i told one of my customers to send it back as it was only 2 days old as they got an 1ghz Single core AMD cpu in an 15in laptop, my other customers had it after the 14day return so i had to live with working on them (and try to refine from saying laptop is shit more then twice)

in the UK shops only seem to stock the E type amd laptops that are about the same or bit faster then an Intel atom (there's an reason Intel do not allow Atom cpus in an normal size laptops they are to slow for the most part) at the same price you can get an Intel dual core celeron (that's based on an cut down i3) or even some times an i3 laptop some times (£300-£400)

its hard to even bother recommending an AMD laptop now as its just easier to just say if its got i3 on it buy it if its under £350, as the AMD A type laptops are norm overpriced as Intel seems to pushing £100-200 discounts in the UK on i3 or i5 based laptops

My recommendation is to get a IVB laptop with HD4000, the cheapest one u can find and call it a day.

not really looked at the news on this as when i see AMD + E, E1/2 , C, G, Z (bobcat), I Feel I want to kill my self when working on them as they are Dreadful to work on when the CPU Load is required even to the point the Mouse starts to stutter,

i told one of my customers to send it back as it was only 2 days old as they got an 1ghz Single core AMD cpu in an 15in laptop, my other customers had it after the 14day return so i had to live with working on them (and try to refine from saying laptop is shit more then twice)

in the UK shops only seem to stock the E type amd laptops that are about the same or bit faster then an Intel atom (there's an reason Intel do not allow Atom cpus in an normal size laptops they are to slow for the most part) at the same price you can get an Intel dual core celeron (that's based on an cut down i3) or even some times an i3 laptop some times (£300-£400)

its hard to even bother recommending an AMD laptop now as its just easier to just say if its got i3 on it buy it if its under £350, as the AMD A type laptops are norm overpriced as Intel seems to pushing £100-200 discounts in the UK on i3 or i5 based laptops

I had this experience under Win7 on my E-240 (single core), even with 160G intel SSD & 8G ddr3. In Linux it's much more usable...

Yeah, single core processors in general do not seem to cut it anymore. I have a C60 in my Acer W500 tablet and let me tell you, that thing flies for what it is.

AMD needs to decide what they are trying to do here.

These APUs are horrible in laptops. The performance is just dismal in a modern OS, and all the GPU power in the world won't make up for the fact that the CPU sucks. It might do well in a netbook, but those are a bottom-of-the-barrel class of computer there were short lived and have quickly fallen by the wayside.

Are they targeting embedded applications? Because they have a long way to go then. Embedded system deisgners will never choose an X86 processor over and ARM Cortex based platforms as long as power consumption isn't there.

Embedded system deisgners will never choose an X86 processor over and ARM Cortex based platforms as long as power consumption isn't there.

Never is a pretty strong word to use. There are lots of x86 single board computers being sold for embedded usage. The myth that x86 is more power intensive is something that can be effectively dispelled now that Medfield is in production smartphones and competes well on battery life while demonstrating that a single core Atom at a low clock speed is pretty competitive with dual core ARM chips.

As an aside, I do agree that AMD seems to be unsure where the E-series is supposed to fit into the market. They seem to be running an odd parallel to VIA a few years ago after VIA figured out that they couldn't compete against Intel and started trying to find niche markets with low power consumption C3 and C7 CPUs. Hopefully AMD won't repeat VIA's decline into a non-entity. When Intel has no competition, it's the consumers that end up paying.

just the bobcat cpus are just bad overall the dual core lessens the slowness but even so it seems to get stuck when processing work on the CPU (mouse jumping)

Both the old and new E series APU's only support 80 shaders. We were promised more shaders (possibly 160) and quad core in the same power envelope on a 28nm process from the real Zacate successor before it was canceled. This is just a rebadge. There's no evidence those shaders are GCN shaders.

The only thing it looks like AMD did is bump is move the cpu to 32nm, bump the core 50mhz, and bump the GPU turbo by 80mhz...

This is an improvement, but it's pretty weak.

Moving the core to 32nm will do wonder for power consumption which is where these are targeted at. I would like to see one of these in an android tablet. It would wipe the floor with pretty much any arm cpu and wouldn't use anymore power than apples power hungry a5x.

Moving the core to 32nm will do wonder for power consumption which is where these are targeted at. I would like to see one of these in an android tablet. It would wipe the floor with pretty much any arm cpu and wouldn't use anymore power than apples power hungry a5x.

I agree. I'm excited to see how x86 fares in the current mobile world.

Back