Facebook Pays Interns $74k A Year?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hey, let's play a game called "Do you make more than a Facebook intern!" Oh c'mon, it'll be fun!

The average monthly salary for a software engineering intern at Facebook is $6,229, according to GlassDoor.com, a site where employees review their companies. Facebook also gives its interns a $1,000 stipend for housing and living expenses, according to the post.

Hey, let's play a game called "Do you make more than a Facebook intern!" Oh c'mon, it'll be fun!

....seriously? :( I mean..I do make slightly more than that..but only slightly and I had to work my ass off for years to get to that level..You don't pay interns! WTF facebook..you are screwing it up for everyone.

If it's for a NorCal position (Article is timing out, can't read it), that's not exactly a huge amount of money. The $1000/mo for living expenses is definitely a nice touch though.

I'm betting they have some pretty good talent in these engineering intern positions, so I'm not overly surprised by this considering the geographical location.

oh, and I live in a pretty high income area (northern VA) where salaries are higher because cost of living is so damn high.

....seriously? :( I mean..I do make slightly more than that..but only slightly and I had to work my ass off for years to get to that level..You don't pay interns! WTF facebook..you are screwing it up for everyone.

You do pay interns.... if you are stupid enough to get unpaid internships and have the company take advantage of free labor, that's not my problem lol

And there was a case recently where some girl is suing a company she interned at because being an unpaid intern, she was made to work overtime and more hours/more tasks than regular employees.

This just makes me hate Zuckerburg even more. The bastard is so loaded, he can pay his interns as much as senior programmers get in my area of Texas. :mad:

Not sure why anyone is pissed about this, I'd rather intens make a huge amount rather than get screwed and the company just keeps the money for itself.

Plus, these interns aren't your usual... Interns for Facebook, Google, etc, are the best of the best.

I make close to that as a contractor. Hell, even when I was a DNS Administrator at Comcast, working out of the tallest skyscraper in Philadelphia I still didn't make that much.

I guess I just got to wait until my wife gets working. As an attorney, I expect her income to end up a lot higher than mine eventually...

This just makes me hate Zuckerburg even more. The bastard is so loaded, he can pay his interns as much as senior programmers get in my area of Texas. :mad:

Don't worry, in a few months when Facebook stock hits $2 they will have to do some "streamlining"

oh, and I live in a pretty high income area (northern VA) where salaries are higher because cost of living is so damn high.

Same, even just an apartment gets pretty crazy, but at least there always seems to be jobs available here. (Unless you are a designer like my GF, :D )

Lets just see how well that goes over now that they are Public bwahahahahah.

Seems low for living in Palo Alto. And for the record, most of the tech companies in Silicon Valley pay their interns and many make way more than those at Facebook. Makes me wonder what the software engineers that aren't interns make at Facebook (aside from their rapidly diminishing millions in stock I mean).

Internships for good companies pay well. When I interned for Microsoft, my monthly salary/stipends were quite high too (I don't remember an exact number anymore, but it was in this range).

Same, even just an apartment gets pretty crazy, but at least there always seems to be jobs available here. (Unless you are a designer like my GF, :D )

Indeed. I'm in Fairfax, and my wife has a degree in interior design. Guess which one of us is working in our field of study?

Anyway, regardless of cost of living, that is a lot of money for an intern.

not a suprise at all. . . I worked at Intel last summer and made a pretty decent salary as an intern. It wasn't 70k, more like 50k but similar none the less. They also gave a way better housing stipend, 1000 is chump change. . . Boeing gives their interns upwards of 3000 for a housing stipend.

That doesn't go very far in that neighborhood... 74K in PA? slave wages.

It's California. Unless Facebook wants it's interns living in slums, they might have to pay them more.

yeah, and just about every person employed at FB before the IPO is a millionaire. No hate, just mad jelly.

Internships for good companies pay well. When I interned for Microsoft, my monthly salary/stipends were quite high too (I don't remember an exact number anymore, but it was in this range).
Exactly. Good internships pay as much as the position for which you're preparing- it's an investment from the company, trying to secure the best and brightest of the next generation. And the easiest way to do that is to offer them the same salary as they'll get when they graduate, before they've graduated.

I interned in the wrong part of the country...for us it was work for free and expect to have zero life for 6 months or we will just pick someone else who will.

It's California. Unless Facebook wants it's interns living in slums, they might have to pay them more.
How many people do you think actually makes that kind of scratch in CA?

$74k a year can allow you to live in anywhere in CA for NO PROBLEM, as long as you live within your means a bit. You want a really nice place to rent? Ok half of that salary goes to rent, you want a really nice car? there goes most of the other half. You need the unlimited data plan on your brand new iPhone 4.5 that you will upgrade to iPhone 5, xbox720, Ps4, WiiU systems, 56" 3d LED tv, 105Mbps cable internet, all the premium channels, etc etc... yeah it's not a lot of money to "live on".

Or would you rather live in a decent are but not terribly large (you're a god damn intern not a Senior VP of Moneymaking) then you still got most of your salary after rent, modest car... that of an INTERN and you're still doing good as far as money. You learn how to cook food maybe, not eat out so much, all these little things that add up. Hell I make WAY less than that, mostly due to the job market for what I do being stingy to none, but I get by ok actually living in San Francisco.

I'm not jealous of the interns though, they work for a very "rich" company, and they get paid very well, good for them. If I went into another field I might make considerably more money, but then I'd have the work and stress levels increase quite dramatically. I'm happy :)

Facebook, Google, Microsoft are in battle in recruiting the top talent in the field. Yes $74k is a lot for an intern at a regular software company (should be closer to $22/hour). But when your trying to recruit the best of the best, $74k is what is required.

i really don't see what the big deal is. if they're stupid enough to pay their interns that much, let them. many companies have killed themselves by overpaying their employees.

Exactly. Good internships pay as much as the position for which you're preparing- it's an investment from the company, trying to secure the best and brightest of the next generation. And the easiest way to do that is to offer them the same salary as they'll get when they graduate, before they've graduated.

This is it. When it comes to programmers/software engineers the gulf between the good and best is staggering, and like in art you can't substitute 10 good programmers to get the result of one of the best. That top talent is almost never on the market (a company has to be stupid to let them go, and if they're unhappy they can apply directly to whatever company they want to work for), which is why poaching is such a big element in hiring for Silcon Valley companies.

Discovering those with talent before they get on the market is the only sure method of expanding without having to settle for second rate talent or buy out smaller companies just to get their employees.

You do pay interns.... if you are stupid enough to get unpaid internships and have the company take advantage of free labor, that's not my problem lol

And there was a case recently where some girl is suing a company she interned at because being an unpaid intern, she was made to work overtime and more hours/more tasks than regular employees.

She should have learned how to use the word no. If I was unpaid and some guy was demanding overtime I'd never stop laughing in his face.

i really don't see what the big deal is. if they're stupid enough to pay their interns that much, let them. many companies have killed themselves by overpaying their employees.

You need to be competitive with other companies in your industry in terms of pay and benefits if you hope to attract and retain talents. I'm not at all surprised with what FB is paying their interns. Back in the days when I was in grad school getting my masters, I did an internship at AMD. I think I was making mid 60ks with subsidized housing. I'm sure the pay has gone up since then.

How many people do you think actually makes that kind of scratch in CA?

$74k a year can allow you to live in anywhere in CA for NO PROBLEM, as long as you live within your means a bit.

For 74k in Silicon Valley, you're getting room mates or you're eating Top Ramen after you've cut checks for rent, insurance, and transportation.

There are plenty of places in SF that cost much less than Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, Meno Park, etc.

I used to make about 90ish here in DFW, TX in the oil and gas industry as a mapping/tech guy. Sadly the bubble burst and I was out of a job for a year.

Now? I make 36k as a computer room operator for Walgreens Distribution center... sucks ass.

I miss the good times.

This is a recurring trend these days.

The most desirable candidates get ever-higher salaries, while the merely good face wage deflation.

If you think Facebook interns get paid highly, look at interns at top law firms. They get paid $3k a week ($160k annualized) and get wined and dined all summer.

Back