ASUS Demos World's First Windows RT Consumer Device

That stinks, they did not show the desktop nor the Office products running. :(

They said it has a music store. It's not by Microsoft is it? They've already screwed everyone over twice selling music.

That stinks, they did not show the desktop nor the Office products running. :(

Windows RT does not have a desktop. It is a legacy free ARM based version of Windows 8. As a result there is no desktop, no backward compatibility with existing Windows applications (unless recompiled for ARM and modified for Metro), and it only runs Metro Apps. Office is being rewritten for Metro, so it will eventually get a version of Office.

Windows RT does not have a desktop. It is a legacy free ARM based version of Windows 8. As a result there is no desktop, no backward compatibility with existing Windows applications (unless recompiled for ARM and modified for Metro), and it only runs Metro Apps. Office is being rewritten for Metro, so it will eventually get a version of Office.

I would beg to differ on that one. If you look at Anandtech's coverage, there is clearly a desktop:

http://www.anandtech.com/Gallery/Album/2021#4

Waste of time video, showed nothing we don't know already, and didn't do anything with the keyboard.

Waste of time video, showed nothing we don't know already, and didn't do anything with the keyboard.

Speak for yourself. I've been wondering how an ASUS Transformer can handle Windows 8. I'm pretty impressed with how smooth it runs.

Some interesting devices here. But the high-end Transformer Book, no digital pen, bummer. I will probably get this though for testing Metro apps, assuming that's possible, not sure how deployment of development code works for a Windows RT device.

I fully expected Big Bird to do the demo. That interface demands nothing less.

Some interesting devices here. But the high-end Transformer Book, no digital pen, bummer. I will probably get this though for testing Metro apps, assuming that's possible, not sure how deployment of development code works for a Windows RT device.
You should probably look to the Visual Studio folks for the answer to that question. I wouldn't be surprised if the VS11 RC has the bits requires for Windows RT development and deployment.

You should probably look to the Visual Studio folks for the answer to that question. I wouldn't be surprised if the VS11 RC has the bits requires for Windows RT development and deployment.

it has to, since you can only develop Metro apps with VS11 express

They said it has a music store. It's not by Microsoft is it? They've already screwed everyone over twice selling music.

what.jpg

I think Windows RT is not interesting especially knowing that it will be running Tegra 3 in November and not a wide selection of apps like the iPad has. The Transformer Book on the other hand sounds perfect to me at 13". It would be a great school companion as I can just quickly just draw in pictures while still being able to type on a comfortable size keyboard. I don't like 11.6' and definitely 10.1" is a terrible keyboard option size. The Taichi looks interesting, but I hope they add mini HDMI...I mean mini DVI I could understand, but including mini VGA without an HDMI WTF?

I think Windows RT is not interesting especially knowing that it will be running Tegra 3 in November and not a wide selection of apps like the iPad has. The Transformer Book on the other hand sounds perfect to me at 13". It would be a great school companion as I can just quickly just draw in pictures while still being able to type on a comfortable size keyboard. I don't like 11.6' and definitely 10.1" is a terrible keyboard option size. The Taichi looks interesting, but I hope they add mini HDMI...I mean mini DVI I could understand, but including mini VGA without an HDMI WTF?

Unfortunately it looks like the Transformer Book doesn't have a pen digitize unless I missed it. I agree that Windows RT devices aren't as compelling right now but I think Metro apps are going to be coming fast and furiously, all the major stuff is already there, web browsing, email, Kindle reader, I'm there'll be a Netflix and even Amazon video apps. So not a zillion apps on day one for sure but. 90% of what 90% of people do with tablets will be there even at launch and I would expect some interesting Metro exclusives as well.

Yeah, the bits are there, I just wonder how the ARM device is supposed to be setup. Installing VS unlocks an x86 machine so that you can run Metro code and you can even deploy remotely which I guess that's how it will work with a Windows RT device.

Unfortunately it looks like the Transformer Book doesn't have a pen digitize unless I missed it. I agree that Windows RT devices aren't as compelling right now but I think Metro apps are going to be coming fast and furiously, all the major stuff is already there, web browsing, email, Kindle reader, I'm there'll be a Netflix and even Amazon video apps. So not a zillion apps on day one for sure but. 90% of what 90% of people do with tablets will be there even at launch and I would expect some interesting Metro exclusives as well.

Yea I didn't see anything about a digitizer, but for me as someone who just needs to doodle a picture quickly (such as a diagram or a picture of a cell/body part) during a lecture it might suffice. Ideally I would have a stylus that I could use too, but I could probably live without it or maybe just use a capacitive stylus. Yea I'm sure there will be apps from big companies, but I also want other devs to jump on too. Also since it will be arriving in November with these dated specs and new OS waiting will be the best thing to do and by then we'll have new ipad and new android tablets waiting to be released.

Transformer Prime with Windows 8? I like...

All of this Windows 8 hardware really is never seen before stuff for Windows, not on this scale. As I've said before Windows 8's success will be driven by hardware and these devices are just slick. And that 810, wow, it's so think for an x86, just hope that the new Atoms in conjunction with Windows 8 performs well.

I'm glad to see Asus making stuff like this and I hope it takes off. Though I still eagerly await the day when I can carry a wifi only PDA with a full desktop OS that can be docked into a laptop-sized frame that has a larger screen and full keyboard plus touchpad.

lulz @ Microsoft trying to play like Apple.

If you look at all of the devices that Acer and Asus announced today, much of if is much more like the classic Tablet PC that came out a decade ago, convertibles, hybrids (there were hybrid Windows devices long before the Asus Transformer) digital pens running x86 CPUs. Hard to copy Apple on things they've never done. Sure there's the Windows Store and things that have been copied, but much of it is pretty uniquely Microsoft.

And while it might be a mistake to do so many things like Tablet PCs, devices that many if not most think were a failure, this hardware and Windows 8 is vastly superior to the hot and clunky and totally touch unfriendly XP Tablet PC Edition of 2002.

^ Oh I get that Apple has never come up with anything original.
The only problem is that Microsoft does not own the hardware and cannot rule it with an iron fist like Apple does.

Though you are correct that today's tablet tech is vastly superior of that from 2002, it doesn't mean it will be successful.
Microsoft is entering into an already largely saturated market, now all they are trying to do is hopefully get a chunk to make a bit of a profit.

I could be wrong, but considering history repeats itself and judging by the past, I don't foresee this as a promising event.

Also, the code is having to be rewritten and recompiled for ARM processors.
The advantage that 2002 tablets had is that they were x86, though power hungry and hot, made development costs lower considering almost nothing needed to be rewritten for a different processor architecture.

Why would Microsoft not just compile the code for both ARM and x86, then whichever architecture the software is running on, can utilize that portion of the code?
Now we will have Office ARM Edition and Office x86 Edition.

Unless I'm wrong, many of Apple's software applications are coded for ARM, x86, and occasionally PPC.
Like I said, Microsoft trying to play like Apple, yet failing at it once again.

Actually with Windows 8, Microsoft is controlling specs on things like never before, sure not like Apple but Microsoft has some tight requirements on touch digitizer specs, in both screens and track pads. Plus considering the state of the PC industry I think the OEMs are kind of motivated to up their quality, I mean they kind of have to Microsoft not having an iron first over them or not.

And there's no saturation in convergence devices, I mean Apple is saying hell no to the idea right. Windows 8 x86 tablets are the only devices that can reasonably serve as both a laptop, desktop and tablet.

As for compiling ARM code to run on the desktop. There's more to it than that. Windows RT devices HAVE to have amazing battery life, considering the disadvantages they face going in bad battery life just isn't an option. Metro is FAR more battery efficient than the desktop. Having half-assed x86 ports running on Windows RT devices is guaranteed to kill battery life.

Windows RT is just an option on the table. Windows 8 is the real deal and its simply nothing like what Apple is doing, Tim Cook just said himself a couple of weeks ago.

Digital pen? Really go buy a Newton. Touch screen with fingers rocks, and I have the transformer prime. Feel Zero need for a pen.

Had a Newton. Seems like pens are fairly popular these days. I see tons of articles about pens for the iPad and Samsung is seriously pimping the pen on the Galaxy Note. In any case its a great tool for note taking and art.

Had a Newton. Seems like pens are fairly popular these days. I see tons of articles about pens for the iPad and Samsung is seriously pimping the pen on the Galaxy Note. In any case its a great tool for note taking and art.
Although I realize some of these digital pens are in a different class and for artwork, if pen based interfaces for general use were all that great, Palm would have never fallen into obscurity.

Digital pen? Really go buy a Newton. Touch screen with fingers rocks, and I have the transformer prime. Feel Zero need for a pen.

I'd much rather use a pen than my fingers to interact with a screen. Greasy finger smears are so gross.

Microsoft abandoned PlaysForSure.
Microsoft also abandoned MSN Music Store. http://arstechnica.com/information-...s-redux-microsoft-to-nuke-msn-music-drm-keys/
Microsoft is also abandoning their Zune hardware.

There's three music business MS has abandoned. Fools me once...

It's not abandoned, only changing and getting better. Zune music is still here (and the music pass subscription) and is just being re-branded Xbox music and being made even better with 30. million. tracks. Zune hardware? Well now a Windows Phone, your PC, an Xbox, new Windows 8 tablets, etc. are your "Zune". PlaysForSure has evolved to DNLA, "Play To" and "Play on Xbox". Check out this article for the latest news:
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/xbox-360/xbox-music-preview-143344

It's not abandoned, only changing and getting better. Zune music is still here (and the music pass subscription) and is just being re-branded Xbox music and being made even better with 30. million. tracks. Zune hardware? Well now a Windows Phone, your PC, an Xbox, new Windows 8 tablets, etc. are your "Zune". PlaysForSure has evolved to DNLA, "Play To" and "Play on Xbox". Check out this article for the latest news:
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/xbox-360/xbox-music-preview-143344

Microsoft abandoned PlaysForSure.
Microsoft also abandoned MSN Music Store.
Microsoft is also abandoning their Zune hardware.

All three were abandoned. Nothing in that article says otherwise. All it said was that the Zune Music Store is going to become Xbox Music store. PlaysForSure wasn't even mentioned.

DNLA came before PlaysForSure. Microsoft was behind PlaysForSure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playsforsure Sony is behind DNLA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNLA

Back