BlueStacks Signs Deal With Asus to Bundle Android Software

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
ASUS and BlueStacks have signed a deal to pre-load the company’s Android-on-Windows software on ASUS Windows based computers. BlueStacks software allows the user to download and run Android mobile apps on a traditional Windows PC.

“This is like a nitrous boost to the accelerating merger of mobile and PC,” BlueStacks CEO Rosen Sharma.

I think it is pretty nifty.

Allow more and easier interoperability between phone and computer.

Why would you need this as an emulator? Google already offers an Android emulator. It's terrible, but it's there.

This is true, but I think you could use it for testing and developing android apps though. That being said, all I've really done with the beta was play fruit ninja ;)

There is already a free Android SDK that has emulation for every phone....this software isn't very [H]ard, I think it will be designed for your average joe blow consumer, as apposed to the SDK which is targeted at developers and tinkering geeks.

Why would you need this as an emulator? Google already offers an Android emulator. It's terrible, but it's there.
This isn't an emulator, though...

Bluestacks is a native x86 Windows implementation of Dalvik. The apps are effectively running just as native as they do devices running Android.

This isn't an emulator, though...

Bluestacks is a native x86 Windows implementation of Dalvik. The apps are effectively running just as native as they do devices running Android.

No it's not, it's a virtual machine running x86 linux/android. I'm not sure if the android SDK emulator is using x86 or arm as the virtual machine (it looks like they use qemu which can do either one).

I don't think it would be too hard to setup a sandbox for Android apps without running a full VM, but I haven't seen anyone else do it*, so it's probably harder than I think :). *Actually I think this is what Blackberry does on the playbook, and is expected to do on their next gen phones.

Back