2GB VRAM is not simply enough. (sorry 670/680 owners)

No it won't, you're reading more than 2GB because on AMD cards if you run CrossfireX you have to divide the vram readings by 2, so if MSI Afterburner is reading 2600MB you're using 1.3GB of vram.Personally at 2560x1440 with all settings maxed (Except MSAA, which is at MSAAx4) and Windows 7 aero disabled, highest I have seen is 1.8GB, as you can see 2GB is plenty even at 2560x1440.

From the mod kcuestag

And it looks like Xfire is possibly not even working properly in the game yet based on the notes in the thread.

Lack of VRAM or lack of GPU performance I wonder. Those post still seems a little vague as far as I can tell

Lack of RAM will result in stuttering. But lack in performance will result in overall lower performance, a point at which it doesn't matter if the RAM is enough or not because you will have to reduce the quality to get an acceptable performance anyway.

Sorry but there's just no way Rockstar would have released a game that would cut out 90% of their consumers from being able to play the game properly when about 10% of consumers have video cards with more than 2GB of video memory. 1GB is still often enough in many 1080p games and 2GB is starting to become a standard but still just a plus right now. 3-4GB of video memory is nice but I find it VERY hard to believe any developer is coding games specifically with that target in mind.

Sorry but there's just no way Rockstar would have released a game that would cut out 90% of their consumers from being able to play the game properly when about 10% of consumers have video cards with more than 2GB of video memory. 1GB is still often enough in many 1080p games and 2GB is starting to become a standard but still just a plus right now. 3-4GB of video memory is nice but I find it VERY hard to believe any developer is coding games specifically with that target in mind.
I think you're misunderstanding this 2GB+ requirements.
We're talking about max settings here. Of course, they game would run even on a 1GB card *if* you adjust settings.

Performance-wise, the game seems to be really well optimized. However, those of who are using the latest graphics cards such as 670/680 and or 7970 expects to run the games at max settings with all eye-candy enabled especially gaming rigs standard resolution today which is pretty much 1080p. And we're talking about a single monitor set up here. And Max Payne 3 seems to require more than 2GB of VRAM.

Hence, 670/680 users over there seem to opt for FXAA with rather MSAA disabled to save VRAM. We have to remember that FXAA is for performance level card. It was never designed with visual quality in mind. FXAA is definitely not for the latest top performing cards such as 670 and 680.

Last edited:
Oh no, extreme levels of FSAA uses a lot of VRAM!!!11one

:rolleyes:
Since when more than 4xMSAA is considered "extreme" levels of AA??? (Have you heard of SLI AA?)
4xMSAA is pretty much standard today. Year 2012... Tahiti, Kepler... remember?

Yes in fact 2GB is enough, sorry if you want to hate. If the best example you can come up with is an unverified post on some forum for one game, particularly one from Rockstar who are not so good with the PC optimizations (remember GTA 4?) then you don't have much in the way of an argument.

2GB of VRAM is plenty, it's fine, stuff runs great. If you wish to have more, than get a card with more, nobody will stop you, but don't start trolling/whining that it "is not simply enough". For me, and many others, it is. I'm 100% happy with my 2GB card, it runs everything I throw at it great. That's all it needs to do.

Heck I'm getting another 2GB card, a 7970M, in my laptop. I could have gotten a 3GB 670M or 4GB 675M (which despite the 6 number are just rebadged 500 series, 40nm parts) if I went with a different brand but I'd rather have the performance and 2GB is plenty and works great.

So please, enough of this crap, enough of the 2GB whining/trolling. If you want more, either buy a 4GB card or buy an AMD card. Nobody will stop you. Don't try and convince people we aren't happy with our purchases, because we are.

Yes in fact 2GB is enough, sorry if you want to hate. If the best example you can come up with is an unverified post on some forum for one game, particularly one from Rockstar who are not so good with the PC optimizations (remember GTA 4?) then you don't have much in the way of an argument.
It's not GTA4. It's Max Payne 3. And I'm sorry to burst your bubbles but R* seems to have done a great job with PC optimization with Max Payne 3. Read people's feedback. The game runs really well.

2GB of VRAM is plenty, it's fine, stuff runs great. If you wish to have more, than get a card with more, nobody will stop you, but don't start trolling/whining that it "is not simply enough". For me, and many others, it is. I'm 100% happy with my 2GB card, it runs everything I throw at it great. That's all it needs to do.

Heck I'm getting another 2GB card, a 7970M, in my laptop. I could have gotten a 3GB 670M or 4GB 675M (which despite the 6 number are just rebadged 500 series, 40nm parts) if I went with a different brand but I'd rather have the performance and 2GB is plenty and works great.

So please, enough of this crap, enough of the 2GB whining/trolling. If you want more, either buy a 4GB card or buy an AMD card. Nobody will stop you. Don't try and convince people we aren't happy with our purchases, because we are.

Agreed. In the beginning when BF3 just came out and then a few months later the 7970 launched there was all this hubbub about how games like BF3 or Witcher 2/Skyrim with texture mods would make it foolish to bring out a high end card like the 680 with only 2GB of ram. Well the tests were done and the tests came back. 2GB seems to be doing just fine for the majority of users including Eyefinity/Surround users.

Well I didn't exactly interpret this as a knock on Nvidia for making 2gb the standard for their cards. I took this as a warning that there are games that you can't max out without more video ram. Everyone knew this day would come when 2gb isn't enough to max out a game's graphics. And since this is [H] then you know most of us would want to know that we should be looking for more ram on our cards. Thus if someone is looking to purchase a new card and considering Max Payne then they should also consider a higher VRAM card to max it out.

I was considering one of the new Korean 27" monitors and this is good enough reason for me to think about my potential purchase more. Max Payne is the first game with this optional requirement, but it surely won't be the last.

this whole theory gets a big fat NOPE.JPG from me. New games down the line might do it but why would they?

It's not GTA4. It's Max Payne 3. And I'm sorry to burst your bubbles but R* seems to have done a great job with PC optimization with Max Payne 3. Read people's feedback. The game runs really well.

So you've played this game on a PC and have first hand knowlege of the effects of the game on a vast array of GPUs, including but not limited to AMD 7970, Crossfire, nvidia 670 and 680 and in SLI?

I don't buy this "the sky is falling" until I've played the game.

Mine comes this afternoon, and I have 7970s in CF and 670s in SLi so I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.:D

My bubble is not burst. I realize that for whatever reason you need people who have 680s to feel like they made a mistake, but that's just not happening. I'm happy with my purchase, it runs all my games great.

In terms of Max Payne 3 I personally don't give a shit since I don't care for the games and won't be buying it. In general, I won't be interested in the VRAM thing until I see it come from something more reliable than some dude's forum post. We'll see what they say here on [H].

All that aside it just doesn't matter. Let's say it really does "require" more than 2GB as you claim. Ok, and? It's one game. I'd be disappointed with my purchase if it was a common thing, but if one game has a problem? That's not a problem.

So sorry, still happy with my purchase. Given that it plays Rift, Shogun 2, Saints Row 3, BF3, Divinity 2, Civ 5, Skyrim, and so on all great I remain happy. It plays the games I want to play really well, that's all I want out of a card.

My bubble is not burst. I realize that for whatever reason you need people who have 680s to feel like they made a mistake, but that's just not happening. I'm happy with my purchase, it runs all my games great.

In terms of Max Payne 3 I personally don't give a shit since I don't care for the games and won't be buying it. In general, I won't be interested in the VRAM thing until I see it come from something more reliable than some dude's forum post. We'll see what they say here on [H].

All that aside it just doesn't matter. Let's say it really does "require" more than 2GB as you claim. Ok, and? It's one game. I'd be disappointed with my purchase if it was a common thing, but if one game has a problem? That's not a problem.

So sorry, still happy with my purchase. Given that it plays Rift, Shogun 2, Saints Row 3, BF3, Divinity 2, Civ 5, Skyrim, and so on all great I remain happy. It plays the games I want to play really well, that's all I want out of a card.

I agree with you completely. But it is kinda cool to know that games are here that are going to push our hardware to some of it's limits so that the next generation of hardware will be significantly better to compensate for this. I like having reasons to upgrade personally!

Long live PC Gaming!

Amen.

Seriously?

A.) its Max Payne, who really cares?

B.) We are basing 2GB Vram is simply not enough off ONE game?

Riiiiiight.

BF3 + Diablo 3, much bigger games that don't suck, both play on max settings just fine well under 2GB.

Since when more than 4xMSAA is considered "extreme" levels of AA??? (Have you heard of SLI AA?)
4xMSAA is pretty much standard today. Year 2012... Tahiti, Kepler... remember?

Yeah, 4x is standard, and I doubt you'll find many people that run 8x+ or SLI AA on today's high-end PC games.

In any case, you are obviously trolling as has been pointed out, so I'm not going to continue further.

Check out the geforce homepage for Max Payne 3 evaluation. Lots of good info.

I cant link to the geforce site for some reason

Last edited:
I can run Skyrim with the official HD texture pack and 5-6 additional add on packs at 2560x1440 8X AA and I use less than 2GB. I am highly skeptical Max Payne uses >2GB at 4X MSAA.

So for people who doesnt have a 680 yet but is about to get one like me, should i get the 2gb or the 4gb one?

So for people who doesnt have a 680 yet but is about to get one like me, should i get the 2gb or the 4gb one?

Well it all depends on your setup. If you're looking to for high resolution/multi-monitor setups or 2560x1600 with 8xMSAA you'll need more VRAM. But if you're gaming at 1080p on a single monitor 2GB will be fine.

Ask yourself, does the look like it's using more than 2GB in that screenshot?

Of course not. It's probably an issue with MSI afterburner reading total ram usage for sli/cfx configuration (thus, a 2GB snapshot would in reality be only 1GB memory usage). Or there's an overall error in reporting how much the game is using.

I highly doubt that the game uses more than 2GB, even at max, for a single screen. 99.9% of all those who play this game on the PC will not have 2GB.

Well it all depends on your setup. If you're looking to for high resolution/multi-monitor setups or 2560x1600 with 8xMSAA you'll need more VRAM. But if you're gaming at 1080p on a single monitor 2GB will be fine.

I game on 1600p and sometimes on 4960 x 1600 when softth works.

Back