Activision Settles Call of Duty Suit

HardOCP News

[H] News
While no specifics were given, you and I both know an assload of money changed hands today. :eek:

An attorney representing Jason West and Vince Zampella, former heads of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward, says a settlement has been reached in the suit but that the terms of that settlement are strictly confidential. "We have reached a settlement in this matter as to all parties and all claims," said David Casselman, one of the attorneys for West and Zampella. "Dismissals will be filed soon,"

Great, now everyone can get back to making the BEST series of games ever created.

Great, now everyone can get back to making the BEST series of games ever created.

CoD has not been good since CoD 4, that's just the sad truth. Also, West and Zampella no longer work for Activision and haven't worked there in 2 years I believe.

Thank Bobby Kotick for running CoD into the ground with rehash after rehash and nothing changing.

hahaha, good ol Bobby

He thought he could drag this out in litigation hell forever, then day before it goes to trial, settles ASAP to avoid losing everything

If I was ex-infinity ward I would have kept going on trial, screw bobby out of billions

Regardless of how anyone feels about the COD series I think we can at least all agree that getting paid for your work is a good thing. Now let's hope it's full steam ahead over at Respawn.

e735dba8_Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpeg

mmmm

hahaha, good ol Bobby

He thought he could drag this out in litigation hell forever, then day before it goes to trial, settles ASAP to avoid losing everything

If I was ex-infinity ward I would have kept going on trial, screw bobby out of billions

This does give me GREAT pleasure to know he was forced to pay despite his best efforts to fire them before he had to pay them there due bonus. I simply love that and both former IW heads said that they wouldn't settle for anything less than the entire amount owned which was a hefty sum. I can imagine the mounting evidence against Activision was just so huge that really they had no choice but to settle for a smaller sum versus being on the hook for much more.

Congrats Jason West and Vince Zampella , you both and your entire IW team deserve the money you were entitled to that was agreed upon for MW2. Glad you got your dues , lets see how long the public will eat up the same slop of "COD" each and every year while the better original team moves on to bigger and greater things.

And, it won't be in public record...so when they do it to someone else...there is no history of doing it to fall back on...effectively. Everything will be non-disclosure and good luck to the next guy it happens to, and it will happen again.

Shouldn't be allowed to dismiss a case that involves a lawsuit involving non-payment per employment agreement once it's went on this long. Sort it out, make the company correct the loopholes and award damages where appropriate. Next time it comes up, if the loopholes/whatever aren't addressed hit them with damages...repeat and increase each time until they either fix it or can't afford to do it anymore.

CoD has not been good since CoD 4, that's just the sad truth. Also, West and Zampella no longer work for Activision and haven't worked there in 2 years I believe.

Thank Bobby Kotick for running CoD into the ground with rehash after rehash and nothing changing.

Calling CoD 4 good is a bit of a stretch.

CoD has not been good since CoD 4, that's just the sad truth.

Funny you say that. I picked up MW2 on 360 so I could play SOMETHING with family and friends who game, and at the time I felt it was a wise choice, since a gift card knocked my price to $20 for it, so if it did suck or I didn't care for it, at least I didn't pay full price to humor people I actually enjoy playing games with.

About 10-12 years ago, I wasn't the best FPS player on PC, but I'd like to think I could still hold my own, except against those who made it a full time hobby, or a career. Today? I couldn't buy a kill on an FPS for PC, or sell my soul for one on console.

Modern Warfare 2 on 360 made me feel like a god among insects. Why? Because I wasn't just holding my own, I was OWNING, with A KNIFE ONLY. And I don't mean like getting a bunch of lucky kills and maintaining a 2:1 k/d ratio. I mean 3:1 was my dicking-around score... WITH JUST A KNIFE. No stealth, no camping. Just going full retard, running full time with Marathon, being the loudest, most blatantly obvious moving object you could find on a battlefield.

And that's when I realized...this game SUCKS!

On any Halo game, my role is the MEAT SHIELD on Team Slayer, and target practice for the opposing team. My only purpose is to be a distraction, so the better players can live on to fight. On any other game mode, I am a two-legged bullet sponge. My nickname should be Point-And-Shoot, because that's exactly all you have to do to kill me. On Counter-Strike:Source or Rainbow Six Vegas 2? It's a good day for me when I manage to NOT grenade myself in the face.

You'd think I'd be happy about finding the game where I am almost godlike with minimal effort by comparison to any other game. I'm not. Why? Because it is clear that this game either:
1. Does not offer any challenge to me, or is chock full of people who are even more noobish than me. (Which is a scary thought, in and of itself)
2. The game mechanics are so ass backwards, it caters to people who absolutely, positively suck at FPS games, and punishes people who actually have some amount of skill.

This is how my experience with MW2 played out. It more or less ruined the CoD experience for me, and I sincerely do not see myself picking up any other titles in the franchise. I haven't picked up Black Ops, and I refuse to get MW3. A friend offered to buy it for me, and I told him he'd be better off wiping his ass with $60 and burning it. Black Ops 2 is around the corner and I refuse to get it as well. The franchise is done for me and I refuse to get suckered into the "it'll be better this time! it has to be!" mantra. There are only a few select titles I would do that for, and Call of Duty is not one of them.

I was hoping this would make it to trial and Activision would get hit hard. Were the plaintiffs saying they did not want to see this happen to anyone else in the future? How does a confidential settlement fit in with that goal?

Oh well. IW got what was rightfully owed to them, at least.

Smells of Activision top financial brainstormer staff making a stock-market wise decision. West and Zampanella won, no matter how much they got. I hope they share with the other employees who got treated like criminals.

Is there a link to more details of the entire case? I heard bits and pieces, but only haven't gotten the full scoop.

Actually Steve, I'm pretty sure it was two assloads of money.

Lets hope Respawn will make a good game, though I doubt it, the "preview" at their site looked like another generic console shooter.

Back