Verizon Doubling FiOS Speed to 300Mbps

HardOCP News

[H] News
Verizon is rolling out 300Mbps / 65Mbps FiOS next month? Damn, I need to get on that bandwagon...I wonder how much it will cost? And here I thought my 50Mbps/5Mbps speed was good. :eek:

Verizon Communications Inc plans to double its fastest home Internet download speed to 300 megabits per second (mbps) next month, creating what it says will be the highest-speed U.S. residential service.

PLEASE BE IN SAN DIEGO IN A FEW YEARS!!!!!!!

It is driving me nuts that this isn't everywhere!

They keep upping the speed...and not expanding the minuscule coverage. ISPs in the USA are pathetic.

Hopefully they do this for the mid-level tiers as well. I move into my new place next week and signed up for 35/35 :cool: (currently sporting 25/15). Not sure what I'm going to do with 35Mbps upload hah.

They get Fios about three minutes away from where I am. I'm stuck pay more cash for a slower connection and worse customer service with Comcast. :mad:

They get Fios about three minutes away from where I am. I'm stuck pay more cash for a slower connection and worse customer service with Comcast. :mad:

Heck, I'm in my state capital. To find the nearest FiOS service from Skripka Casa you must drive 200 miles or so. Of course, they try to obfuscate and hide how poor FiOS coverage actually is by only telling you if a specific zipcode query is in coverage area or not.

Blame the laws that prevent verizon from expanding, not verizon.

Huh? What law prohibits virtually all ISPs in the USA from expanding coverage or investing in their infrastructure? Because all the ISPs in the USA are keeping infrastructure spending and expansion to minimal levels to maximize profits.

They keep upping the speed...and not expanding the minuscule coverage. ISPs in the USA are pathetic.

It has more to do with local governments than anything else.

It's relatively easy to upgrade routers/switches/lines/etc. to upgrade speed.

Even drawing fiber lines is relatively easy and cheap.

Where they get hung up is getting permission from individual cities and towns to enter their markets. This is not down on a statewide basis. Each individual town has to bless them before they can enter, and each individual town has its own political special interests, and desires to keep local ISP monopolies and terms etc.

This is why Verizon eventually gave up and decided to not expand its services to any more markets. It just was too cumbersome to have to fight tooth and nail for permission to enter every individual little city and town.

It will stay this way, until something is done in order to get ISP permitting on the state level rather than on the town level.

Huh? What law prohibits virtually all ISPs in the USA from expanding coverage or investing in their infrastructure? Because all the ISPs in the USA are keeping infrastructure spending and expansion to minimal levels to maximize profits.

this, It costs Vz almost 4000. on average per customer for initial installations. That is why they try to lock you in with 2 year agreements. Cable averages 1500 or so. Vz has to put more money on the line in hopes they will be able to make profit 2 or 3 years down the road, where Cable just needs to make it though 12 months or so to break even.

I'm on a 150/35 tier that consistently delivers 155/65.....I have no chance of ever saturating that line......but is 300/65 comes to me, I'll gladly take it..:)

I live in San Diego too and we will never get Verizon FIOS. Our city is covered by AT&T

If you don't have FiOS today, you will never get it.

Verizon announced a few months back that they have ceased any efforts to expand their service area.

this, It costs Vz almost 4000. on average per customer for initial installations. That is why they try to lock you in with 2 year agreements. Cable averages 1500 or so. Vz has to put more money on the line in hopes they will be able to make profit 2 or 3 years down the road, where Cable just needs to make it though 12 months or so to break even.

Cost is certainly a factor, but the cost gets factored into the service fees, and once they sign people up, they tend to stay with them, so whole the paypack isn't immediate, it's still a good business venture. Every market they enter gets turned upside down, and FiOS comes out on top.

It's the local politics that are preventing them from expanding.

hope this makes cable companies upgrade their dosis 3.0 to those speeds.

Charge a but more, but most people will never saturate their connection unless they are running a server, but since it's asymmetrical, it's unlikely for both to be saturated at tr same time.

Main two reasons is cost to build out, and due to contracts for other isps in localities. Some places have contracts for 40+ years with providers.

However as this service will most likely cost 450-500 a month, it will be hard to justify.

I'm jealous. I live in Denver, so I'm stick with either 25Mb (yeah, right, more like 4Mb, and diverted to Dallas before reaching the internet, so latency is higher than it should be) cable from Comcast or 7Mb DSL (even worse, probably closer to 768k actual, and down half the time, and a 3 month lead time to get a decent installer who doesn't knock and run) from Century Link, formerly Qwest.

It would be nice to get one decent company for internet service here.

It's not a law per se, but some cities have stopped allowing Verizon to install all the hardware associated with it. After they saw some of the large communication boxes that need to go up along the streets, some places thought it was an eyesore and stopped them from putting more in.

As others have stated, Verizon stated a while back they are not going to expand FIOS anymore. If you don't have it, you won't unless you move...barring a reversal on their part though.

hope this makes cable companies upgrade their dosis 3.0 to those speeds.

They won't. Have you seen how small FIOS coverage actually is? Even if they did offer faster speeds, the cost is ridiculous. Comcast for example has a 105mbps package. For only $200 a month, and still has that 250GB cap.

I am sick of all these companies who offer service in some areas and not others. Verizon is just stupid for not expanding further.

I live in San Diego too and we will never get Verizon FIOS. Our city is covered by AT&T

The good thing is.their website states they are still expanding but it looks like major cities only. Phoenix looks like the next one to come up. AT&T stayed they were upgrading their internet services soon as well, lets see if thats true our not!

I have FiOS 35/35 and according to another source they are doubling their current speeds for all current 25Meg and higer for DL speeds. So ill be going to 70/35 at no extra cost! WOOT

Just shows your realisticly how FAT their current pipes are. Love it!!!!

I don't really see the point of this kind of speed for a home user. My connection maxes out around 20Mbps down, and at most I hit that for maybe 1 hour every month. How often would I be able to hit 300Mbps? And then if you add in a bandwidth cap, how am I realistically supposed to use a 300/65 connection?

Charge a but more, but most people will never saturate their connection unless they are running a server, but since it's asymmetrical, it's unlikely for both to be saturated at tr same time.

And the ToS explicitly prohibits any servers :p

You might get close to saturating it with a sufficiently large torrent, but even that is likely a stretch.

No one is forcing you to have faster speeds. Just because you don't see the point doesn't mean there isn't one.

I don't really see the point of this kind of speed for a home user. My connection maxes out around 20Mbps down, and at most I hit that for maybe 1 hour every month. How often would I be able to hit 300Mbps? And then if you add in a bandwidth cap, how am I realistically supposed to use a 300/65 connection?

I saturated 100mbps worth downloading Diablo 3. The need for ultra-highspeed connections is there, even if it's not commonplace yet.

I have FiOS 35/35 and according to another source they are doubling their current speeds for all current 25Meg and higer for DL speeds. So ill be going to 70/35 at no extra cost! WOOT

Just shows your realisticly how FAT their current pipes are. Love it!!!!

That's fantastic news. Do you have the source?

Zarathustra[H];1038780172 said:
If you don't have FiOS today, you will never get it.

Verizon announced a few months back that they have ceased any efforts to expand their service area.

This is true. :( If you really want it that badly, you will have to move into an area that has the infrastructure in place. There are no more plans for expansion as of an article late last year.

My network is ready for any bandwidth increases. :)

I have a pfSense box for my router, and managed ProLiant gigabit switch behind it, so I should be able to take advantage of any bandwidth increases coming my way.

I wonder - though - how FiOS users who use the bundled router will take advantage of this. Their bundled Actiontec (and to a lesser extent Westell) routers are pretty weak as it is with current speeds...

Zarathustra[H];1038780416 said:
My network is ready for any bandwidth increases. :)

I have a pfSense box for my router, and managed ProLiant gigabit switch behind it, so I should be able to take advantage of any bandwidth increases coming my way.

I wonder - though - how FiOS users who use the bundled router will take advantage of this. Their bundled Actiontec (and to a lesser extent Westell) routers are pretty weak as it is with current speeds...

Anyone who really "needs" this kind of speed should be using their own router anyways.

I mean really? 300Mbit is pretty [H]...

Townships and property owners/associations, franchise aggreements are to blame for that. Can't blame VZ.

That sucks, I don't have that problem. I consistently max out my 50/20 FIOS connection. One way to look at it is A) bragging rights for 1) Verizon since no one else is offering that speed tier, and 2) for the consumer who can afford it. OR, B) it makes sense if you have a lot of people in your home utilizing the internet. Think about it, everyone can get very fast download and upload speeds!

You can't just look at it from your perspective. If I only considered myself then yeah, it doesn't make sense for me to have 300/65 service for the time I spend at home on the computer and the activities I participate in. Throw the rest of the family into the mix and there's an opportunity for contention on the line. A 100Mb+ package starts to make sense if the line is being hammered by the household.

Back