Microsoft Invades Iraq

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure how well any of Microsoft's products are going to sell in Iraq but the company can at least lay claim to having a local distributor for its products. :eek: Thanks to Travis Nay for the link.

Microsoft Corp. says it has appointed a local company to distribute its products in Iraq in what it says is a sign of growth for the war-plagued country. Manager of Business Development for Emerging Markets Rajai S. El-Khadem said Monday that the software giant had chosen the Baghdad-based Legend Lands Co. as its Iraqi partner.

I can see it taking hold in government offices, but something tells me the average Iraqi has better things to spend money on than Microsoft products. But at least it's a beginning to normalcy.

Really, with a GDP of ~$4,200 per person, legit Microsoft products aren't going to sell period. In 3rd world countries the only type of software the average person can afford is pirated, therefore pirated software is the only type that is widely available. I know this from experience. When I went to Armenia in 2007 I got Cubase SX 3 for $6, and a double-layer DVD with Oblivion, Gothic 3, and three other RPGs for ~$9. It's the same story with windows, I got Vista Ultimate and M$ Office 2007 Enterprise for $6 each. People aren't going to buy legit M$ products, period.

Quite condemning. As the country and it's utilities continue to stabilize, business software solutions will become more relevant. Furthermore, bravo to the enterprising guy that wanted to take the dive and offer Microsoft solutions in Baghdad. I imagine his success will come more from provide service after the sale, that so many business everywhere need.

Back