Jobs Would Have 'Lost His Mind' Over Siri

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think it is pretty funny how, now that Jobs is dead, everyone is an expert on what he would say or do. We get it, Siri is lame, it's not like you need some sort of validation from a dead guy.

A new report quotes a former Apple employee as saying that people at the company are "embarrassed by Siri" and late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs would have "lost his mind" over the feature's performance.

As if they don't still advertise that stupid shit daily? There's a new commercial every week for Siri :rolleyes:

Meh, just keeps the same word that Apple is only for the mentally handicapped since I'm sure the commercial marketing is working for it.

A lot of my friends aren't iPhone users Andy ar very impressed with wha Siri can do when I demo it.
I thinks it's pretty handy.

Really not sure why Apple pushed Siri like it has. The device control features are nice but the accuracy and performance aren't all that special. A couple of weeks ago the latest Siri embarrassment I know of was actually ironic when Siri was in some cases returning the Lumia 900 as best smart phone ever. The results actually came from Wolfram alpha which is what Siri uses when it needs help.

I'm suprised jobs ok'd the addition of siri so soon, but I never see anyone use the feature, when they do its always to just show it off (which almost never works)

I have never been a fan of Jobs or Apple, but i cannot deny the quality of the apple products i have used. the commercials for "siri" are very misleading, but why push a product that isnt fully baked yet?

I have never been a fan of Jobs or Apple, but i cannot deny the quality of the apple products i have used. the commercials for "siri" are very misleading, but why push a product that isnt fully baked yet?

Because they had to come up with some sort of a selling point for the iPhone 4S, other than the slightly upgraded hardware which most Apple users don't care about anyway.

Made even more obvious by the fact that Apple could have put Siri on all iPhones via an iOS update but chose not to.

I think it is pretty funny how, now that Jobs is dead, everyone is an expert on what he would say or do. We get it, Siri is lame, it's not like you need some sort of validation from a dead guy.

I guess they miss having dirt on the guy, so they have to go and make things up and tell us what might have been.

I'm an iPhone 4s user and I always forget about Siri. When I do use it, it's pretty decent. Not perfect though. Needs lots of work to perfect it.

Siri is the most useless feature Apple has produced in a very long time. Nobody I know with a 4S actually uses it on a daily basis after the novelty wears off.

I skipped the iPhone 4S because of this. I'm totally okay with shelling out good money to upgrade, but I demand actual new features when I upgrade. Siri is a gimmick, and a slightly better camera isn't a good enough reason by itself to upgrade. Hopefully the iPhone 5 actually has something useful in it to earn my $300.

Why does it matter how well it works?

Did voice dictation ever take off in offices around the world? No. Was it because it didn't work well? No.

1) It is because people feel like idiots talking out loud to their phone and 2) it wouldn't work if anybody else nearby was doing the same thing.

Imagine 3 people with Siri at the same table for a moment.

Person 1: "James. Your boss sent a text asking what time you can come in tomorrow."
Person 2 (different conversation): "Siri. Text back go fuck yourself."
Person 1: "James. Incoming text. You're fired!"
Person 3: (different conversation) "Lucy. Text from your mom. Throwing your shit out on the lawn! Get out"
Person 2: "Tim. Text from Cindy. LOLZ. You GFY."

Seriously, who in their right mind wouldn't think of this stuff in the conceptual stage?

Because they had to come up with some sort of a selling point for the iPhone 4S, other than the slightly upgraded hardware which most Apple users don't care about anyway.

Made even more obvious by the fact that Apple could have put Siri on all iPhones via an iOS update but chose not to.

could be.

Sadly, all they had to do was slightly revamp the style of the phone to be slightly more appealing and the sheeple who buy apple products would have flocked in droves (pretty much what happened regardless of siri).

The fact that the 4s could not be found... even after the antenna became controversy should have told Apple that gimmicks are not required.

Why does it matter how well it works?

Did voice dictation ever take off in offices around the world? No. Was it because it didn't work well? No.

1) It is because people feel like idiots talking out loud to their phone and 2) it wouldn't work if anybody else nearby was doing the same thing.

Imagine 3 people with Siri at the same table for a moment.

Person 1: "James. Your boss sent a text asking what time you can come in tomorrow."
Person 2 (different conversation): "Siri. Text back go fuck yourself."
Person 1: "James. Incoming text. You're fired!"
Person 3: (different conversation) "Lucy. Text from your mom. Throwing your shit out on the lawn! Get out"
Person 2: "Tim. Text from Cindy. LOLZ. You GFY."

Seriously, who in their right mind wouldn't think of this stuff in the conceptual stage?

Does siri not read back the text message it's about to send and ask for a confirmation before doing so?

I think it is a pretty safe bet that he would have not been impressed with Siri's performance.

Siri is the most useless feature Apple has produced in a very long time. Nobody I know with a 4S actually uses it on a daily basis after the novelty wears off.

I skipped the iPhone 4S because of this. I'm totally okay with shelling out good money to upgrade, but I demand actual new features when I upgrade. Siri is a gimmick, and a slightly better camera isn't a good enough reason by itself to upgrade. Hopefully the iPhone 5 actually has something useful in it to earn my $300.

Siri is 100% Apple, through and through...a dumb product for stupid people who are easily impressed...;) That's Apple (formerly known as Apple Computer.)

Voice command is a concept old as the hills and twice as buggy. Apple is just the latest player in a long string of players to release a buggy, 50%-functional version of this kind of software (and that may be generous.) Still, Apple is perpetually on the prowl for younger customers who don't know how old the concept is, and to them Apple markets it as an Apple invention--which of course they predictably and naively believe. Apple is all about reinventing the wheel and marketing that is just shy of breaking every truth in advertising statute on the books...;)

Sadly, all they had to do was slightly revamp the style of the phone to be slightly more appealing and the sheeple who buy apple products would have flocked in droves (pretty much what happened regardless of siri).

Nothing wrong with the style of the phone. They've used the same design for the original iPhone through the 3Gs, then changed it for 4 and 4s. The next design change will be iPhone 5 when they enlarge the screen.

Apple needed something "right now" to move away from iPhone 4's problematic antenna reputation. I'm quite happy with my 4s' large boost in speed compared to the 3Gs and 4, though I wish I waited until 5 for LTE support and larger screen. I upgraded because my 3Gs' battery was starting to expend more quickly. It was just getting old.

I wouldn't doubt that Steve Jobs would have hated Siri. It is a gimmick at best.

Who the heck knows? Maybe he would have come up with some idea to make it work (at least in theory).

The technology just isn't far along enough for voice recognition to work very well. In a controlled environment yes, it works exceptionally well (the speech to text on my android is nearly flawless), but it does not react well to outside noise, echoing, or any other interference. Just look at Microsoft's now infamous Vista demostration of voice recognition technology.

so what now? Can they fix "siri"? will they scrap it? Do they even need to do anything?

Apple just got a little bit overzealous with Siri. All smartphones have some type of voice interaction, Apple was actually a bit behind even Windows Phone until Siri in terms of integrated voice capabilities. I use voice everyday on my Lumia 900 for web searches, app launches and phone dialing and short text messaging. In those tasks I find voice input to usually be significantly faster that conventional methods.

Voice is a very practical and useful input method on phones in limited conditions, Apple just pushed the envelope to hard and for things that just work particularly well or are particularly useful.

so what now? Can they fix "siri"? will they scrap it? Do they even need to do anything?

More likely keep working on it. They've acknowledged that Siri is still in beta.

Not like Google ever released anything out of beta ;)

My year old MyTouch 4G had a similar feature called the 'Genius button'. It actually had a little more functionality than Siri, since it could launch any program on the phone with a voice command. Still, the only time I used it is when I had my phone bluetoothed into the car and I needed to call someone, I'd press the Genius button without looking, say "Call so-and-so" and it would work. Otherwise, it was kinda hard to come up with an opportunity to use it. That's why, when I upgraded to my HTC One S, I never noticed the feature gone.

More likely keep working on it. They've acknowledged that Siri is still in beta.

Not like Google ever released anything out of beta ;)

From the article and other media, Job's made heads roll when people didnt deliver. I wonder how Cook handles problems.

But Jobs was still alive when the decision to put Siri in the 4s was made, he must have signed off on it.

Ya know, for the record.. I got an iPhone 4s a couple of weeks ago. I tried Siri a couple of times not-seriously and had relatively good results. Yesterday was the first time I really *needed* to use it, to send a text message while navigating San Francisco night-time traffic. It did exactly what I needed it to do, and ironically I was almost in an accident from looking at the phone to make sure what I thought I saw just work, actually did.

Believe it or not regardless of the performance siri is still an amazing selling feature and I'm willing to be it's the reason 50% or so of people purchase the 4s; so in a way it's done it's job.(move more iphones)

I'd buy the 4s for the additional hardware features but honestly many people don't care about that and just want some stupid phone that talks to them.

I'm suprised jobs ok'd the addition of siri so soon, but I never see anyone use the feature, when they do its always to just show it off (which almost never works)
Not only did Jobs approve Siri but he banned competitors from selling Siri-like apps in the iTunes store. :eek:

But yet they keep advertising the ("Sequences Shortened") thing as being revolutionary - complete with celebrities.

I'm not impressed with Siri, nor am I impressed w/ mainstream thinking this tech is cool.
I played around with those "AI" response webpages about a decade ago and this is pretty much the same thing but w/ voice recognition. Can we start going into super AI? Screw the Skynet fearers.

give it a couple of years and siri will be much more better. it works now but as everyone says kinda half baked

give it a couple of years and siri will be much more better. it works now but as everyone says kinda half baked

I wonder how many complainers have some sort of speech impediment problems. ;)

Too bad Apple didn't produce a Gene Simmons Siri commercial.

Simmons: "Shirly, I wannaa blannaha d hhad hdadh".

Siri: "Mr. Simmons, I have made Dinner reservations at Outback Steakhouse."

Simmons: "Bery goad."

Siri: "You're welcome."

I really like Siri for the things I use it for. Sending messages while driving, setting alarm clocks. Its the most usefull when driving.

What I don't like about it, is that Sprints service is absolute crap in DFW metroplex and half time I try to use it it simply times out due to not being able to connect to the server. This is not Siri's fault, this is Sprints fault.

Ask Siri how far away the Moon is. Its pretty cool. Not saying Apple was the first to come up with this, as even Siri itself was not an "Apple invention", but the integration of it is very good and thats what I like.

The Siri like app on android is like a magic 8 ball.

I like siri. Someone just needs to port it to Android.

:)

Blah blah blah random apple hate and people foolishly denying the quality of their products.

Sirius problem is accents. There really hard for it. I have a northern Ohio accent and haven't had any issues at all. My friends from jersey and Texas can't get the damn thing to work at all. It's very very finicky in that regard.

Back