Netflix Is Cable's 'Frenemy'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix is cable's frenemy? Who says "frenemy?"

Cox's Esser acknowledged today during a panel discussion here at the National Cable and Telecommunications Association's Cable Show that there are times when Netflix may compete for an audience with cable TV providers. But as a broadband provider, he also said it was a very important service to his customers, and therefore it's important to him.

Netflix is content providers "Frenemy" as they've made it so. They hate Netflix , people are canceling their TV subs to go for a much cheaper alternative. So the content providers and broadcasters decided to start imposing caps forcing customers to make a choice :

1. Risk going over your cap and paying fees or at worst , disconnection of service.

or

2. Pay many times more for content provided by your local broadcasting network.

Its bullshit. Caps are a money grab in the end.

I don't know why you guys are fighting each other, when clearly FUCK CABLE or KILL IT (cable) WITH FIRE is the correct response to this.

All cable has to do is go ala cart, something similar to Hulu Plus and it would gain back much of its audience. As long as I'm told what I can watch and when I can watch it AND be forced to watch commericals, I'm sorry but I see no advantage to paying $80 a month versus $8.

We have Netflix and Hulu Plus. $16 a month and there is always something to watch, and we can watch it on all our mobile devices too.

Using the Netflix & Hulu model, with as many commericals as cable has, the shit should be free honestly.

you know, someone has to pay for new shows to be made, and that someone has to be the consumer in some fashion.

The main thing I hate about cable is that there are 6 channels I watch and 120 channels of bullshit I have to pay for.

Cable companies should just provide the internet connection, collect their payments, and then sit down and STFU. I'm so sick of them.

still surprised one of these companies hasnt just come along and bought it up. Thats what they do to squash competition, buy it and bury it.

I don't know why you guys are fighting each other, when clearly FUCK CABLE or KILL IT (cable) WITH FIRE is the correct response to this.

Pretty much. The whole internet is the enemy of the content providers or at least they have been working very hard to make it that way. It destroys their monopoly of distribution. Rather than deal with it and make it their own, they seem to be doing their damnedest to fight it every step of the way.

Pretty much. The whole internet is the enemy of the content providers or at least they have been working very hard to make it that way. It destroys their monopoly of distribution. Rather than deal with it and make it their own, they seem to be doing their damnedest to fight it every step of the way.
And there never really was a problem with cable modems/DSL/etc usage until they themselves also got similar plans. AT&T wasn't a problem... until they got TV bundled with it, cable wasn't an issue until they got on-demand service. Funny how that works out... "oh the bandwidth is killing us.... but feel free to use our service as much as you want and it won't count against your bandwidth"

Back