Google Triumphs Over Oracle in Patent Suit

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Google has pulled out a big win over Oracle today with the jury finding no patent infringement. Thanks to DocFaustus for the link.

The jury verdict is in. They found no infringement of the patents. Google has a statement already: Today’s jury verdict that Android does not infringe Oracle’s patents was a victory not just for Google but the entire Android ecosystem.

Today’s jury verdict that Android does not infringe Oracle’s patents was a victory not just for Google but the entire sea of lawyers we used to defend this case...

Shoulda been a lawyer. Anyone going to law school needs to specialize in patent law.

Seriously though, pretty big win for el Goog

Today’s jury verdict that Android does not infringe Oracle’s patents was a victory not just for Google but the entire sea of lawyers we used to defend this case...

Shoulda been a lawyer. Anyone going to law school needs to specialize in patent law.

Seriously though, pretty big win for el Goog

Patent law has surprisingly strict requirements to get into, actually. My wife mentioned it requires at least a science degree and some specific tests to get ceritifed.

Many lawyers are liberal arts majors, because most law practice requires a lot of research (eg. History degree) or writing skills (eg. English degree).

Still, looks to be very lucrative.

My favorite part of this case so far is when it is revealed that the judge was a programmer.

Judge: We heard the testimony of Mr. Bloch. I couldn't have told you the first thing about Java before this problem. I have done, and still do, a significant amount of programming in other languages. I've written blocks of code like rangeCheck a hundred times before. I could do it, you could do it. The idea that someone would copy that when they could do it themselves just as fast, it was an accident. There's no way you could say that was speeding them along to the marketplace. You're one of the best lawyers in America, how could you even make that kind of argument?

Oracle: I want to come back to rangeCheck.

Judge: rangeCheck! All it does is make sure the numbers you're inputting are within a range, and gives them some sort of exceptional treatment. That witness, when he said a high school student could do it--

Oracle: I'm not an expert on Java -- this is my second case on Java, but I'm not an expert, and I probably couldn't program that in six months. Let me come back to rangeCheck after I've reminded the Court about the test files.

At this point, I cannot imagine Oracle winning the API dispute. Seeings how you cannot even write "Hello World" in Java without using an API

Finally, the line:

System.out.println("Hello World!");
uses the System class from the core library to print the "Hello World!" message to standard output. Portions of this library (also known as the "Application Programming Interface", or "API") will be discussed throughout the remainder of the tutorial.

That last quote is from Oracle's website: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/getStarted/application/index.html

Patent law has surprisingly strict requirements to get into, actually. My wife mentioned it requires at least a science degree and some specific tests to get ceritifed.

Many lawyers are liberal arts majors, because most law practice requires a lot of research (eg. History degree) or writing skills (eg. English degree).

Still, looks to be very lucrative.

Yeah patent law is a SoB to get into. Soooooo specialized and would require me to go back to school for another few years. If it was just a matter of taking a few CLEs then I would likely look into getting a license to practice but as of now its not worth my time.

I am still trying to get my head around software patents because from what I can see is they are a sham and copyrights is what should apply.

Back