Microsoft Sets New Data Sorting Record

HardOCP News

[H] News
A team of researchers at Microsoft have set a new data sorting record, beating the old record (in a big way) set by Yahoo.

The team, led by Jeremy Elson in the Distributed Systems group at Microsoft Research Redmond, set the new sort benchmark by using a radically different approach to sorting called Flat Datacenter Storage (FDS). The team’s system sorted almost three times the amount of data (1,401 gigabytes vs. 500 gigabytes) with about one-sixth the hardware resources (1,033 disks across 250 machines vs. 5,624 disks across 1,406 machines) used by the previous record holder, a team from Yahoo! that set the mark in 2009.

I just want to complain about the lack of diversity, as shown in the photo. Everyone involved in this is male, either white or yellow. Where are the women? Where are the blacks, the browns, the reds, and the blues (Fugates)?

Forget tech progress, we need the government to force some quotas. I see this kind of boys Whisian club over and over. I'm sick of it. I've almost stopped watching Starcraft 2 competitions because of it.

MinuteSort_StoryLevel.png

I just want to complain about the lack of diversity, as shown in the photo. Everyone involved in this is male, either white or yellow. Where are the women? Where are the blacks, the browns, the reds, and the blues (Fugates)?

Forget tech progress, we need the government to force some quotas. I see this kind of boys Whisian club over and over. I'm sick of it. I've almost stopped watching Starcraft 2 competitions because of it.

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/news/features/images/MinuteSort_StoryLevel.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

lol! Not sure if serious ....

Puhlease, let's be serious for a moment. There is no one-eyed, one-horned flyin' purple people eater in the picture either, let's sue! :rolleyes:

Let's add Vulcans and Sithlords too. Where are they? What about a gay?

STFU poster. Women just aren't interested in IT that much. Most that I run into, are working in the administrative part of IT. Now I've worked with 2 in IT, but that's about it.

Most importantly is hiring the people who are passionate, knowledgeable, and a great fit for the group of people working together. Why force adding a black, grey, orange, purple, whatever colored person if they are not interested or qualified.

What about a gay?

I thought that the guy with the bluebird on his shirt is the quota homosexual.

STFU poster. Women just aren't interested in IT that much. Most that I run into, are working in the administrative part of IT. Now I've worked with 2 in IT, but that's about it.

Since when has the government cared about the level of interest and qualifications of people "under represented"? Boys are twice as interested in sports as girls, but every school better have the same number of sports slots for girls as for boys. And, because girls aren't competitive with boys, that means girls-only teams.

*grabs the popcorn*
Entertainment at it's best.

Just asking for some diversity.

MICROSOFT SETS NEW DATA SORTING RECORD
53174_e3-2009-booth-babes-assemble-20090603040117413_normal.jpg

What about overweight women, or women without hair due to chemo therapy? Being a woman of both an obese AND bald nature, I can't help but take offense to this post of yours and the women in the picture.

What about overweight women, or women without hair due to chemo therapy? Being a woman of both an obese AND bald nature, I can't help but take offense to this post of yours and the women in the picture.

You said it better than I could.

Just asking for some diversity.

MICROSOFT SETS NEW DATA SORTING RECORD
Fail.

Back