HP D2600 Chassis - What Drive trays?

ericptek

n00b
I have a HP D2600 that I picked up along with 12 1TB Toshiba NL-SAS drives.

I originally thought that the unit used standards HP hot swap trays for the DL180 but after trying these out they are about .5" short.

I've tried contacting HP with marginal success since they want you to purchase their drives but the cost to get NL-SAS from them was about $3,600 more, otherwise I had to stick with SATA or go with full SAS which is not necessary, nor economical.

Can anyone help out with a part number or even a dimension of the tray if someone has one.

The trays I bought were part number 373211-001 and cross referenced with 373211-002.

Thanks

I have a HP D2600 that I picked up along with 12 1TB Toshiba NL-SAS drives.

I originally thought that the unit used standards HP hot swap trays for the DL180 but after trying these out they are about .5" short.

I've tried contacting HP with marginal success since they want you to purchase their drives but the cost to get NL-SAS from them was about $3,600 more, otherwise I had to stick with SATA or go with full SAS which is not necessary, nor economical.

Can anyone help out with a part number or even a dimension of the tray if someone has one.

The trays I bought were part number 373211-001 and cross referenced with 373211-002.

Thanks

Those enclosures take standard HP SATA and SAS LFF drives. HP does not sell those trays seperately through their normal sales channel, but you can order them through service parts. Even so, they run almost $75 a tray as a service part, I can get the # for you tomorrow when I get into the office. The LFF SATA drives that enclosure is compatible with are 458928-B21, 454146-B21, 507632-B21 & 628059-B21 so if you can get sleds from those drives you will be ok.

Last edited:
Those enclosures take standard HP SATA and SAS LFF drives. HP does not sell those trays seperately through their normal sales channel, but you can order them through service parts. Even so, they run almost $75 a tray as a service part, I can get the # for you tomorrow when I get into the office. The LFF SATA drives that enclosure is compatible with are 458928-B21, 454146-B21, 507632-B21 & 628059-B21 so if you can get sleds from those drives you will be ok.

That would be great, I'd really appreciate it.

If I can get a part number I'll see if a knock off tray will fit it.

It's HP's business to run it the way they want but they should call it out in their information that it only works with HP drives.

Is there anything special about them or are they just dimensionally different?

It's HP's business to run it the way they want but they should call it out in their information that it only works with HP drives.

Is there anything special about them or are they just dimensionally different?

HP does tell you exactly which specific drives each server or enclosure supports if you read the documentation. Enterprise-level hardware is not like consumer level equipment where you can shoehorn just about anything into anything. In many cases, even slapping an aftermarket drive (or even a real-branded drive, but not one specific to that model) into a real (not aftermarket) sled the drive will not operate because many HP, Dell and IBM servers and enclosures ONLY work with the actual drives specced and sold by those companies for those boxes.

HP does tell you exactly which specific drives each server or enclosure supports if you read the documentation. Enterprise-level hardware is not like consumer level equipment where you can shoehorn just about anything into anything. In many cases, even slapping an aftermarket drive (or even a real-branded drive, but not one specific to that model) into a real (not aftermarket) sled the drive will not operate because many HP, Dell and IBM servers and enclosures ONLY work with the actual drives specced and sold by those companies for those boxes.

mwroobel is on the money, its an unspoken assumption in the enterprise market that vendor A only supports vendor A's parts working with vendor A's servers. And in the case of harddisks the vendor-specific ones are usually built by one of the majors like Seagate but then have a vendor specific signature baked into the firmware that the vendor's controller will recognize and tend to refuse anything else. For these and many other headaches like noise level and power draw, enterprise servers and gear really become awkward for home or non-business use and if you come across it you tend to be better off selling it all and building a home server with best of breed parts.

Unless you find the necessary trays on ebay secondhand then its probably not going to be worth the money from any supplier selling them new. If it was me I'd sell the thing and probably have enough money to build an entire storage server with a Norco RPC-4224

Last edited:
HP does not require dedicated firmware on their drives.

DL180's make great NAS units but I needed DAS. Already had the drives and the word was the 180 trays fit the 2600.

This is going in a data center connected to a DL360 via a P211. Its going to be a data store for a ESXi install. I need hot swap everything including power supplies.

The reason I asked here is HP is being coy with an answer since they want me to buy their drives. Plus a lot of people seem to have oddball info on certain systems, hence the 1st reply I've gotten.

I've been looking just for the part number for the tray. I know the drives work. I used a few 180 trays and offset the screws just to get a few plugged in for testing no problems at all.

IBM is one of the few that requires specific firmware. Dell, HP, nor Lenovo do. I think that might change with the Gen 8 servers from HP and the Gen 12 servers from Dell. HP has so much more monitoring built in I would not be surprised. I think they even have something built into the trays this go around.

Actually historically Dell has locked out drives without Dell signature in the ID string but I thought I read they got enough complaints that they eventually reversed that stance.

Anyway good luck finding the trays. You might get lucky on ebay

iPad.gif

Wow, someone changing UID's in a single 1 page thread...

Doesn't take those weird one with interposer boards does it?

Thanks.

That apparently is the ticket here. After looking at interposer boards that is what I need.

Now the question is do they make a straight through? HP must ship the Interposer board on the SATA drives, and maybe a straight through the on true SAS drives to take up the gap rather than making 2 trays?

These are NL-SAS drives, no tabs for SATA and the backplane is for sure SAS also.

Last edited:
Well, I just checked. We have D2600 and D270 enclosures, they are the same LFF trays that fit the DL3x and 5x servers G4 and forward. HP does NOT sell the sleds retail, you can only order them via service parts and only if you have a serial number for an existing drive. In any case, if you do not use the HP drives be prepared for a LOT of errors from Insight manager due to additional and/or different SMART attributes tracked from HP branded server drives. You may have saved some coin buying non-HP drives but it may come back to bite you in the future. ... btw - are the toshiba drives you got MK1001TRKB by any chance? We looked at them some time back for another use, had some major failures.

Back