Latest Windows 8 News Reveals Removal of Aero

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Just several weeks before the release of Windows 8 Release Preview, Microsoft has decided to simplify the desktop area and completely restyle the visual appearance with the removal of Aero. It seems that Microsoft heard the complaints from the beta testers and decided to make a few crucial changes prior to the upcoming release.

With the latest refresh, however, the company has pushed its modernistic philosophy even further to reveal a spartan (yet functional) interface that draws less attention to the chrome elements and allows the user to focus more on content.

All the screenshots I've seen make it look like crap. :/

It seems that Microsoft heard the complaints from the beta testers and decided to make a few crucial changes prior to the upcoming release.

Those aren't the main complaints. I doubt they listen to anyone other than themselves and are shocked when stupid crap they do fails. :D

I wish theyd stop with this "beta" farse...

So they changed the look from Win95 because it looked to stale, to simplistic, now back to WIn8 and we want stale and simplistic against?

Those aren't the main complaints. I doubt they listen to anyone other than themselves and are shocked when stupid crap they do fails. :D

I wish theyd stop with this "beta" farse...

Problem is that people said the same things about Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows 95, and Windows 3.1. Are we really to believe that concepts invented 20 years ago are the best way to do computing?

People hate change. That's a fact. People complained that Aero looked ugly when Microsoft showed off Windows Vista. Then people stopped caring. And now people defend it. It's a cycle of life!

I pulled out all of the links to various forums about people complaining about changes to Windows. Give them a read: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=33458821&postcount=33

The only time I can remember in the history of Windows people having a persistent negative connotation of a version of Windows was when performance was impacted, whether it was Microsoft's fault or not. And most people would state Windows ME and Windows Vista were flops because of that.

I think Microsoft could make a ton of changes to Windows that every 1.2 billion of their users found ugly. But if it booted faster, had better performance, had great battery life, and actually made using a computer easier, I think people would suck it up.

I was reading this way to fast and read "Latest Windows 8 News Reveals removal of Metro" and got excited.

Then I had all my hopes/dreams crushed.

I just want a "classic ui" button and I'm good. Don't really care how artsy fartsy they get as long as I can remove it.

Why the fuck would they remove it? Why not just leave it the way it is with the ability to choose different user styles?

Even though 3rd party tools could provide similar results, if they remove Aero I won't be buying Windows 8, and I will tell everyone else not to buy it. Microsoft stop pissing people off... I think all versions of Windows pre Vista days are butt ass ugly.

I'm not a fan of the clusterfuck of a GUI that was Windows 8 with its Metro, Aero AND Ribbon bullshit thrown about in a seemingly random fashion, but I'm also not a fan of what they seem to have done with this. I've said a hundred times that I'd be satisfied with the interface if they built it from the ground up with Metro in mind, but that's not what they did here. Instead of using Aero, they simply switched it to "Aero Basic".

Lame.

Another reason I am never buying windows 9 it has nothing I want or care about.

thanks for another windows vista and windows ME microsoft.

That sucks, I like Aero. I was never a Vista hater, as it was just something really new. That said, I don't like the MS is taking stuff away from W8. Something tells me W8 will have a shorter life than ME/Vista. It seems like they are trying to cripple desktop systems.

What's so funny about Metro haters and most people saying that they won't buy Windows 8, news flash most people who end up using Windows 8 WON'T be buying it, it'll come with new hardware, hardware that a lot of people never even thought of or ever saw before, touch screen laptops, hybrid laptop/tablet devices, machines that super thin and have crazy battery life.

Windows 8 hardware is going to kick the utter shit out of what most people have today, this is what is going to drive Windows 8 sales. It's amazing how people are only looking at the UI. Seriously, when have people EVER praised or liked a Windows UI? Only when it changes and then the UI you never liked before is all of a sudden the best ever.

Windows 8 will support more hardware than ever. Is more battery efficient. Uses less resources and is faster than Windows 7. Those predicting it will fail are completely ignoring these facts.

So they're adding features I don't like, and taking away the stuff I do like.

Where is the part that will make me want to spend cash to upgrade from 7?

I actually like Aero. When I first started using it I hated it, but now that I've gotten used to it I like it a lot. I'm sure that's how it'll be for Metro for me.

Problem is that people said the same things about Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98, Windows 95, and Windows 3.1. Are we really to believe that concepts invented 20 years ago are the best way to do computing?

People hate change. That's a fact. People complained that Aero looked ugly when Microsoft showed off Windows Vista. Then people stopped caring. And now people defend it. It's a cycle of life!

Some people hate change, other people hate changes to the worse. Change is not a universally positive thing. If your house burnt down and you had to live in a tent, could you not complain about the changes to your living arangements? Change is universally good, right? The reasons there is so much complaint about windows 8 is because it is not good change, its inefficient retardation of common working methods for no positive reason other than "fuck you", and the piles of complaints just render more "fuck you" from microsoft. There are better ways of working, some good changes, like aero snap, and homegroup were welcomed. This is just meaningless stupid.

The difference here is that in those cases it was one or two nutbags complaining that their 100yo modems would no longer work. In this case it's everyone but microsoft employees and developers with dollar signs in their eyes conned that they will be making big money and microsoft shills complaining. Yet they still are doing nothing.

Technically Windows 8 is more like Windows 3.1. So in reality Windows 8 took a much bigger step back 10 years.

No people complained that Aero slowed down games and ate battery power. I don't think anyone ever said it was ugly, just that was it worth using over the consequences.

I think Microsoft could make a ton of changes to Windows that every 1.2 billion of their users found ugly. But if it booted faster, had better performance, had great battery life, and actually made using a computer easier, I think people would suck it up.
Windows 8 makes it easier for regular end users to compute. For power users it's just a pain the ass. If it takes more clicks to do something then you know you did something wrong.

What's so funny about Metro haters and most people saying that they won't buy Windows 8, news flash most people who end up using Windows 8 WON'T be buying it, it'll come with new hardware, hardware that a lot of people never even thought of or ever saw before, touch screen laptops, hybrid laptop/tablet devices, machines that super thin and have crazy battery life.
Hopefully if nothing else it pushes people to buy hardware with other non-Windows OS's installed and manufacturers to start offering more options as standard.

Seriously, when have people EVER praised or liked a Windows UI? Only when it changes and then the UI you never liked before is all of a sudden the best ever.
I praised Windows 7 UI when I moved from XP to 7. People don't randomly praise UI elements they like until someone is attacking it. On the other hand, people are pretty adamant about attacking change for the sake of change especially when they see that change as a step backward. Change on an OS UI isn't good and should always be carefully considered because the OS isn't the reason people are using the computer, the OS is the building block on which people build programs which are the reason people are using the computer. People don't want to have to learn a new way to open their programs when they've had a start menu for the past 15 years and efficiently opens their programs while only consuming 10% of the screen space instead of all of it.

I actually like the new flat look of the Windows 8 desktop UI (save for metro). In fact, I think I like it better than the translucent glassy look of Aero. It feels like a throwback of the Watercolor/Whistler/Professional themes of Windows XP before MS went full retard and dumped it for the infamous Luna visual style.

One thing I'll miss is Aero Flip 3D. Hopefully it's something that can be patched back in with third party tools like classic shell.

Windows 8 hardware is going to kick the utter shit out of what most people have today, this is what is going to drive Windows 8 sales. It's amazing how people are only looking at the UI. Seriously, when have people EVER praised or liked a Windows UI? Only when it changes and then the UI you never liked before is all of a sudden the best ever.

Windows 8 will support more hardware than ever. Is more battery efficient. Uses less resources and is faster than Windows 7. Those predicting it will fail are completely ignoring these facts.

I praised the Vista/7 UI as they were vast improvements over XP. Calling hardware Win8 hardware is a joke and you should know it. Hardware has little to do with the OS. Look how many people are still running XP on modern hardware without issue. Win 8 isn't driving hardware forward it is just another means to operate it.

Those praising Win 8 are ignoring the facts that battery life and most of the changes in Win 8 that were developed with Tablets in mind don't affect the overwhelming majority of users who don't have touch on their desktops and laptops.

The ribbon is nice, but frankly that could be added into Win 7 easily enough as an option. Furthermore this is hardly a reason to consider upgrading to Win 8.

Boot speed is irrelevant to anyone already on Win 7 with an SSD. A few more seconds saved on an already Sub 20 second boot time? BFD.

Faster network transfers, again largely irrelevant. Nice of course, but hardly something most people do daily or even frequently for that matter.

Basically unless you are operating the handful of touch devices out there, Win 8 is a useless upgrade if you are already on anything Vista+. Sorry, I have been a die hard windows user for a long time and I even fought for Vista as it was pretty good once setup properly. However I have nothing but complete contempt for the mess that Win 8 is. I have to assume Steve is being sarcastic about them listening to the beta testers, because asking for Aero to be removed is the exact opposite from most of the feedback.

eriously, when have people EVER praised or liked a Windows UI?

Ask my one English teacher in college. I had to listen to her bitch about the UI in Vista all semester. One assignment I wrote a 12 page paper on why Vista is so awesome, a good portion of it was on the UI enhancements.

I was a pure Vista and 7 supporter from the beginning because it was a step forward from XP as far as usability goes.

I personally never had a problem with Aero. I always liked it. It's really the only reason I used Vista. It does wonders for screen tearing and I find it makes my user experience overall much more pleasant. Once Windows 7 came out I was pretty happy because it addressed the issues with Vista, which were basically all performance related. This is really mind boggling. How does making the UI more like it was a decade ago improve the design? I have been looking forward to a Windows 8 tablet because Android sucks. Now it looks like everything is going to suck.

I doubt I'll ever see what Win8 will be like since Win7 and Vista works just fine for me and will not be upgrading or buying new PC for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably get Windows 8 in an effort to warm up to it - but honestly this will be the first time I've ever had to warm up to an OS. I thought Vista and especially Windows 7 were perfectly fine out of the gate - but Windows 8, though, is a different story for me.

I'm usually the first one to jump on the beta of a new version of Windows and use it as my main OS until the full blown version comes out, at least until the next beta...but this is stupid. I absolutely HATE Windows 8. Don't get me wrong, for a tablet, for a phone, I actually don't mind it at all. But for my desktop? No way. I'll be staying with Windows 7 on my desktop/laptop for the foreseeable future.

Yet another Microsoft says "this is what people want" crap, only it's not and it sucks. Windows Home Server 2011 anyone?

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the people who say, "You don't like Win8 because you hate change." Like, wow, you know what I think and feel! So amazing! So wrong.

I don't hate change. I've bought every new (consumer) MS O/S since Win98. So *clearly* I do not hate change. And yet, as things stand, there is no fucking way I'm going to buy Win 8. I don't like the approach MS has taken with Win 8's UI. I don't want anything to do with Metro -- not a damn thing. I didn't have any problems with Areo, and now they're removing it? Why? I find their claims of Beta-testers asking for it to be dubious at best.

So, MS, not only have you done your best to fuck over PC gaming, but now you're going to try to push us all to tablets and portable devices? Well, try all you want, but if this is the route you're taking into the future, then Win7 Pro is the last OS I'm going to be buying from you, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having that viewpoint.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap.

palmface.jpg

The only time I can remember in the history of Windows people having a persistent negative connotation of a version of Windows was when performance was impacted, whether it was Microsoft's fault or not. And most people would state Windows ME and Windows Vista were flops because of that.

I don't know about that. For me and most of anyone I've talked to, Vista is still ugly and implemented aero very badly. 7 Fixed that.

Also, I may be misunderstanding you, but ME was a flop because it was literally one of the worst things Microsoft ever did, and it was Microsoft's fault. It was simply a poorly constructed operating system. Vista was a lot of good ideas implemented very poorly, which again, were mostly fixed with 7.

Personally I can see windows 9 being another ME, and Vista. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's better. The interface may work for some of the general population who don't really need ANY power user features or real productivity. For anyone who does (IT, etc . . .), I sincerely doubt it will ever catch on as a desktop OS. I definitely plan on skipping it (trying the beta just to see of course, but that's it).

Aero was the first thing I turned off on Vista...before I deleted the OS all together and installed XP - FWIW.

indifferent.gif

That reminds me...check on my scheduled back-up of W7. :p

Technically Windows 8 is more like Windows 3.1. So in reality Windows 8 took a much bigger step back 10 years.

Do you mind sharing how windows 8 is even remotely technically like windows 3.1?

Instead of making a last second decision to simply take the transparency out of their W8 Aero interface and call it "fresh", they should have worked it from the ground up to be something like this:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept

Of course that's not to say it should look just like that, but that right there would be very fresh and something I'd definitely love to use. A UI like that, built from the ground up to look good and function well on both desktops and tablets would be nice, instead of this "hey - wait guys, lets do THIS nao!" garbage can of a GUI they have going on.

Well I happen to have a laptop with a touch screen. I very much welcome Microsoft creating a better integrated interface for touch. I certainly don't prefer metro with no touch interface, but if you've got one.. It's a huge improvement over stock windows. It also provides a framework for apps to be developed specifically for touch.. Instead of relying on devs doing it themselves.

The more I see about Windows 8, the more I feel Windows 7 is going to become the modern day Windows XP, and 8 the Vista.

Instead of making a last second decision to simply take the transparency out of their W8 Aero interface and call it "fresh", they should have worked it from the ground up to be something like this:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/24/2822891/windows-desktop-ui-concept

Of course that's not to say it should look just like that, but that right there would be very fresh and something I'd definitely love to use. A UI like that, built from the ground up to look good and function well on both desktops and tablets would be nice, instead of this "hey - wait guys, lets do THIS nao!" garbage can of a GUI they have going on.
That may look OK in a mock screenshot, but remember that all of the programs you currently use don't have metro-ified icons, and would look like crap on a taskbar like that. You can't switch everything at once and still deal with legacy cruft.

That may look OK in a mock screenshot, but remember that all of the programs you currently use don't have metro-ified icons, and would look like crap on a taskbar like that. You can't switch everything at once and still deal with legacy cruft.

That's true, and is why I mentioned them building things from the ground up. Things seem nice and unified in OS X - it's like the developers are all on board to make things "match" the OS philosophy. Same goes with Linux distros and stuff - everything seems so tidy and unified. I'm no OS X or Linux fanboy, but DAMN, MS needs to take some notes with respect to UI unification and design.

I really don't understand why M$ thinks people want an UGLY square, non transparent UI !!!!!! I mean really...WTF? It's SO FUCKING UGLY !!!! (yes, that's the nicest way I can say it). How can they say that looks good?
Win7 looks much better than any screenshot of Win8 I've seen. And like others have said, they are obviously pushing tablets, because they didn't have desktops in mind when they came up with this crap.

Microsoft - Take your Baby Blocks and stick them up your MicroAss.

I praised Windows 7 UI when I moved from XP to 7. People don't randomly praise UI elements they like until someone is attacking it. On the other hand, people are pretty adamant about attacking change for the sake of change especially when they see that change as a step backward.

I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the people who say, "You don't like Win8 because you hate change." Like, wow, you know what I think and feel! So amazing! So wrong.

And with the world enthralled over tablets and touch and the iPad in particular, how could Microsoft not make touch and tablets central to Windows? Not a separate tablet version, not something that could be turned, but front and center?

Windows 8 isn't change for the sake of change, it's change for the BIGGEST THREAT EVER TO THE PC. Tablet now OUTSELL desktops. More and more people look at mobile OS tablets as SERIOUS PRODUCTIVITY devices.

The computing world is changing. Average people WANT touch devices. Average people WANT thin devices. People want 10 hour plus battery life in a 1.5lbs. Average people don't care about hot many clicks it takes to get to a center of a Tootsie pop if it's only one lick more sometimes.

What I don't understand is people looking at desktops and keyboards and mice and don't see just how endangered they really are in the eyes of average people. People WANT iPads and touch, They don't want keyboards and mice with 25 buttons.

And the thing is that Windows 8 still delivers all the complex desktop stuff people have always done, the program launcher is different and Windows Explorer has the ribbon to make it a bit more touch friendly.

Microsoft didn't have a lot of options here. Keyboards, mice and desktops are a market in relative decline, that's just the facts. Of all things Metros haters aren't seeing or getting its this.

And with the world enthralled over tablets and touch and the iPad in particular, how could Microsoft not make touch and tablets central to Windows? Not a separate tablet version, not something that could be turned, but front and center?

Windows 8 isn't change for the sake of change, it's change for the BIGGEST THREAT EVER TO THE PC. Tablet now OUTSELL desktops. More and more people look at mobile OS tablets as SERIOUS PRODUCTIVITY devices.

The computing world is changing. Average people WANT touch devices. Average people WANT thin devices. People want 10 hour plus battery life in a 1.5lbs. Average people don't care about hot many clicks it takes to get to a center of a Tootsie pop if it's only one lick more sometimes.

What I don't understand is people looking at desktops and keyboards and mice and don't see just how endangered they really are in the eyes of average people. People WANT iPads and touch, They don't want keyboards and mice with 25 buttons.

And the thing is that Windows 8 still delivers all the complex desktop stuff people have always done, the program launcher is different and Windows Explorer has the ribbon to make it a bit more touch friendly.

Microsoft didn't have a lot of options here. Keyboards, mice and desktops are a market in relative decline, that's just the facts. Of all things Metros haters aren't seeing or getting its this.

Correction - People want touch devices in the form of tablets for productivity UNTIL they actually try to do something other than basic email and web browsing. The moment they do that, their desire to use a tablet or touch device as a productivity devices comes to a screaming halt.

Laptops might be endangered by Tablets, but Desktops most certainly are not. While it is true that tablets are outselling, that is only because not everyone has them and they are still extremely new. Desktops on the other hand are something that nearly everyone already owns and especially if they are an average user, not something that requires replacing every year. No, I am sorry but MS is shooting itself in the foot by not offering the Option to turn off the tablet garbage for those trying to use it on an actual productivity machine.

Back