World's First Wikipedia Town To Launch In Wales

HardOCP News

[H] News
So the idea is that people will walk around this town scanning barcodes that link back to Wikipedia articles about the town? Anyone like this idea?

Wikimedia UK —which works to support, develop and promote Wikimedia Foundation projects such as Wikipedia — says hundreds of articles about the life and history of the town will be available online in more than 26 languages, from Hindi to Hungarian. Around 1,000 different bar codes plaques and stickers now decorate its schools, museums, historical sites and even pubs.

I wish they showed a few pictures or something. Presentation would be a big factor here. If it's a big annoying plaque that serves to be an advertisement as much as anything else for Wikipedia, I can see that as being annoying. However if they are unobtrusive, I could see it as being really neat, particularly in area's with lots of tourism. It would be neat if they had an app to go along with it if the idea takes off. Maybe something where you could scan barcodes and queue up articles. I probably wouldn't want to stand around reading Wikipedia on my phone while sight seeing, but having something that could gather a list of relevant wikipedia sites and then e-mail them or sync them to another device for later reading is something I could really get into.

this plus the future of augmented reality glasses may have alot of potential to be interesting :)

Yeah, this might be cool. Just as long as no one tries to vandalize the entries.

"This statue has been here for poop poop poop poop poop..."

Back