HP Poised To Eliminate Up To 30,000 Jobs

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to multiple sources, HP is set to lay off as many as 30,000 employees to cut costs. If you work for HP, now might be a good time to dust off that resume. :(

The looming cuts cited by Bloomberg News and the technology blog All Things D would trim as much as 9 percent of HP's workforce, based on the 349,600 people employed by the Palo Alto, Calif., company as of last October. A breakdown on HP's website listed 324,600 employees, but company spokesman Michael Thacker said the information was wrong. He pointed to the October figure listed in HP's annual report as the most accurate head count.

These guys actually thought that they would be able to compete with IBM in business services.
Dear HP, go back to making good printers. The ones you sell now are trash. I don't think printers require a 450MB driver suit with a crap ton of BSware that I will never touch/install. Also, is your ink is made with platinum and gold? Sure as hell seems like it.

I guess I could have shortened that statement to:

"Dear HP. Stop sucking."

Imagine if Meg Whitman actually won the CA governor's race, she'd fix the budget by firing anyone who worked for the state!

I am willing to be 90% of HP's problems at this point are from firing Mark Hurd and hiring that sack of crap Apotheker who pretty much ran HP into the ground in less than 6 months.

Where the heck is that legendary memristor? It's about time to start wowing with that thing.

According to multiple sources, HP is set to lay off as many as 30,000 employees to cut costs. If you work for HP, now might be a good time to dust off that resume. :(

I would imagine her plan is to hire "best-shore" people as replacements (that's usually the plan). Good luck with that. While I'm sure Mumbai has some competent staff, I've only met one in the last decade and he was smart enough to leave HP as quickly as possible.

I probably should have followed his lead. Though at this point, it's kind of like being on a bad reality tv show. I wanna be last on the island. ;)

Now only if HP made drivers that weren't so easy to break (even to the point of a Windows reinstall), fail when network IP addresses change, and drivers that have the same functionality on every version of Windows (like no manual duplexing or "Fast Normal" mode)...

These guys actually thought that they would be able to compete with IBM in business services.
Dear HP, go back to making good printers. The ones you sell now are trash. I don't think printers require a 450MB driver suit with a crap ton of BSware that I will never touch/install. Also, is your ink is made with platinum and gold? Sure as hell seems like it.

I guess I could have shortened that statement to:

"Dear HP. Stop sucking."

Everything you just said, I fully agree with.

Ouch, I like their laptops tho, loved my 2600n laser printer too.

Sorry, but HP laptops are the cream of the crap, be it home-grade or enterprise-grade.
The only vendor that might make even more unreliable laptops would be Toshiba, just my opinion based on experiences over the last decade.

Their printers are truly abysmal though, most unfortunate.

Sorry, but HP laptops are the cream of the crap, be it home-grade or enterprise-grade.
The only vendor that might make even more unreliable laptops would be Toshiba, just my opinion based on experiences over the last decade.

Their printers are truly abysmal though, most unfortunate.

There was a point when HP laptops weren't bad, but under their previous CEO I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

HP could be a good company, if they can rewind some of the most terrible decisions their previous CEO made, and then improve on what they currently have. Trying to make HP a predominantly software based company was the dumbest idea I've ever heard...

As I tell my friends and family, HP stands for "Help please".

lmao!

I feel bad for HP actually as I used to be a fan of them and rooted for them to give some good competition in other things than printers. Sadly this does not seem to be the case...

HP consumer products are crap, including a lot of their high end product. However, their enterprise products are right up there in quality and cost. Their servers (outside of the DL380 G6) have been rocks for us. Their SANs are (mostly) reasonably priced for the performance. Their procurve line of switches (again for the price) are solid.

I think of the biggest reasons HP fails is poor lack of direction by their management, crappy CS, and AWFUL marketing. It's like pulling teeth to find out about their next generation of products something that Cisco, Dell, etc. are constantly promoting. HP isn't going away anytime soon but I can see them losing a ton of business over the next decade if their management doesn't pull it together.

I have supported HP printers for 15 years.
Under Carly Fiorina the quality of HP printers absolutely went into the crapper because of cost cutting in manufacturing. Also the quality of the support documentation went to sh*t. The quality of the electronic PCB assys, were crap and failed all the time. Known quality issues and much of the time HPs response was "hate that for you". Companies that purchased a large number of small printers saw the majority of them fail with a couple years with bad formatter boards. It was as if their laser printers were considered disposable. An inkjet that you paid less than $100 wouldn't make you too upset if it died a couple years later. But a $500 laser printer??
This hurt HP badly. HP was consider the laser printer company by most. Not anymore.

Back