Ivy Bridge Turbo Boost - motherboard makers implementing Intel spec?

IanM

[H]ard|Gawd
iirc some boards/brands didn't follow Intel's specifications for implementing Turbo Boost on Sandy Bridge motherboards, and 'cheated' on performance by always using the maximum boost possible.

There may be arguments for and against this, but I'm wondering if there is similar manipulation of the Turbo Boost system on the Ivy Bridge boards? if so which brands strictly follow Intel's specs? which brands are modifying Turbo Boost for maximum performance?

iirc some boards/brands didn't follow Intel's specifications for implementing Turbo Boost on Sandy Bridge motherboards, and 'cheated' on performance by always using the maximum boost possible.

There may be arguments for and against this, but I'm wondering if there is similar manipulation of the Turbo Boost system on the Ivy Bridge boards? if so which brands strictly follow Intel's specs? which brands are modifying Turbo Boost for maximum performance?

AFAIK there is similar manipulation of the Z77 motherboards.

And some boards permanently fix the Turbo Boost setting to Auto (or completely disable Turbo Boost altogether) - with absolutely no way at all whatsoever to override the Auto setting or re-enable Turbo Boost.

A couple reviews called out one manufacturer in particular for messing with this. Can't remember which company, but more than one site mentioned it in their reviews.

ASUS. Kyle had a disclaimer attached to almost every ASUS MB review calling this "feature" out.

Yep, Asus does it on the Z77 boards, it's called "Multicore Enhancement". I thought it was supposed to clock all 4 cores to 3.9GHz (the single core boost max) but on my system it only seens to hit 3.7GHz (LinX 100% load) and I'm 99% sure I have it enabled, going to verify tonight.

On my Asrock extreme4-m the turboboost option is there on Auto, but you can't select it or change it in anyway. I have seen screen shots of other Asrocks with same bios that does let you change it, so it may be an oversight with the version out now, not sure.

Asus is doing it and Gigabyte is doing it with all the IVB mobos I have seen so far. MSI is not doing it.

I had a long discussion with ASUS about his and they claim that it is an Intel sanctioned form of Boost. ASUS committed to me to soon put feature in the BIOS that would let you touch some of the BIOS settings and have the option to also set the Boost feature to "stock" but I have not seen it yet.

If you notice in our motherboard reviews, we no longer compare ASUS boards to motherboards that follow Turbo Boost default spec. I still think ASUS has done this to "cheat" and win benchmarks, which for the most part are irrelevant to mobo reviews for the most part anymore in my opinion.

I was reading Asus MIVGene and Asrock Fatal1ty Pro-M reviews last night...and Bit-Tech took off points on the Asrock due to it scoring lower on their benches, due to Boost behavior.

I don't mind ASUS doing it, but make me aware of the changes and give me the option toggle it.

I don't view implementing this Turbo Boost as cheating. ASUS has a commitment to performance computing, and in my eyes this is one way they achieve it.

Market it so people know, and test it to prove a performance boot. I would give people a choice but implement it by default if I had my way.

I don't view implementing this Turbo Boost as cheating. ASUS has a commitment to performance computing, and in my eyes this is one way they achieve it.

Market it so people know, and test it to prove a performance boot. I would give people a choice but implement it by default if I had my way.

Well let's see......I leave every setting in the BIOS set to default, and I simply change the memory speed to 1600, which is supported officially by Intel, and now there is no Turbo Boost scaling, simply the CPU locked in at its highest multiplier, and no way to turn it back to stock Turbo Boost (except to go full optimized settings), and no notice that this is happening. I think this is much akin to ASUS scaling FSB clocks by 2 or 3MHz way back when, and making it impossible to set "right." I believe that all this was done to win benchmarks. Say what you will, but I have been doing this for a long time and understand how ASUS works its magic.

Back