Intel Rapid Storage Manager not seeing full capacity of hdd's

Zuess

n00b
Hi, recently purchase 2 x 4tb Hitachi hard drives and setup a raid 1 array.
Rapid storage manager only sees 1687GB of the 4TB.
I thought that after they were initialized as GPT drives they would show their full capacity but they don't.
After setting up raid 1 in the bois and booting up I initialized the drive as GPT partitions and formatted as basic drives and disk management which shows the full capacity of this raid 1 of 3.725GB.

In Windows the Rapid Storage Manager program doesn't show these 2 drives as being in a raid 1 array, it shows the 2 drives as separate disks.
But, Windows Explorer shows these 2 hdd as 1 disk and is usable.

Asus P6X58D Premium with Intel Rapid Storage Tech. driver ver. 10.8
Most recent mobo bios installed and drivers.
Window update is also up to date.

Any Ideas,
Zuess

Hi, recently purchase 2 x 4tb Hitachi hard drives and setup a raid 1 array.
Rapid storage manager only sees 1687GB of the 4TB.
I thought that after they were initialized as GPT drives they would show their full capacity but they don't.
After setting up raid 1 in the bois and booting up I initialized the drive as GPT partitions and formatted as basic drives and disk management which shows the full capacity of this raid 1 of 3.725GB.

In Windows the Rapid Storage Manager program doesn't show these 2 drives as being in a raid 1 array, it shows the 2 drives as separate disks.
But, Windows Explorer shows these 2 hdd as 1 disk and is usable.

Asus P6X58D Premium with Intel Rapid Storage Tech. driver ver. 10.8
Most recent mobo bios installed and drivers.
Window update is also up to date.

Any Ideas,
Zuess

Which SATA ports did you hook up the two drive to? There are both 6 Intel ICH ports as well as 2 ports connected to a Marvell controller. Did you use the intel bios setup or the marvell? Though the marvell are sata3 they are slower than the intel sata2, neither of which makes any difference with sata spinning disks.

Which SATA ports did you hook up the two drive to? There are both 6 Intel ICH ports as well as 2 ports connected to a Marvell controller. Did you use the intel bios setup or the marvell? Though the marvell are sata3 they are slower than the intel sata2, neither of which makes any difference with sata spinning disks.

Thanks for your reply,

The 2 disks are connected to the sata2 3gb/s intel ICH10R ports.
Yes, I used the intel rapid storage manager in the bois. (Ctrl+i) to enter.

My P6X58D Prem. mobo is using bois ver. 1501 which is the latest version.
I wonder if it's a limitation of the bois on this motherboard. But, I really don't think its the mobo.
I've never used the intel onboard raid controller before but do have a Adaptec 6805 in my server with a raid 6 array that is initialized as GPT to see the whole volume.

Here's what I have found if anyone is interested.
Intel's Rapid Storage Technology is capable of using hdd's over 2TB but, You must use a motherboard
with a UEFI Bois.

Zuess

Well that sucks. I assume you can't return the 2 4's for 4 2's?

I'll keep these two and ad two more for my server which uses an Adaptec 6805 controller.
I got these two for a good price when they were on sale.
The Adaptec 6805 seems fine with the Hitachi 4TB disks, so with two more I'll make a raid 10 backup array.

Zuess

Back