Adobe Will Issue Free Security Patches for Creative Suite

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Reversing a controversial move on Adobe’s part to begin charging for security updates, the company announced Friday night that the patches will be offered free to download. The original decision to charge for security updates met with criticism from security experts, prompting the reversal of policy.

All the reported security issues are classified as Priority 3, which in Adobe parlance means “...vulnerabilities in a product that has historically not been a target for attackers.” In such cases, Adobe recommends that “administrators install the update at their discretion.”

I wish a real software company would buy them out and put an end to these issues. I'm tired of updating Flash players on multiple machines on a weekly basis. The very idea of addressing security updates by saying "That's fixed in the new version, buy the upgrade" is ridiculous. Good to see them reverse that, at least for now.

Wow, so for the first time, they've found a security hole before it has been exploited and they want to charge a fee for doing such a stand-up job at security.

Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be shot :rolleyes:

Adobe is a Priority 3 company, which in my parlance means they can suck a dick.

Adobe. Too big for its own good. Too stupid to call them anything else

Part of me wishes that they stuck with charging for updates, and then watch them fail. I'm tired of proprietary formats.

Ohhhh.... Security patches for free! Thanks o great Adobe. I bow to the for being so generous!

Part of me wishes that they stuck with charging for updates, and then watch them fail. I'm tired of proprietary formats.
This.

Adobe swallowed up a ton of products, killed some (to stifle competition), and can't seem to keep the rest of them running nearly as well as the companies they bought. Their own products fare only marginally better.

I miss Aldus Photostyler (and how many here remember they originated Pagemaker, not Adobe?). Damn, I feel old.

Back