Microsoft: Sorry, No Refunds For Minecraft Xbox Edition

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft is playing a little game called Gotcha cleaverly disguised as Minecraft. It seems many fans bought the game to take advantage of the four-player feature which can only be accessed through HDTV. This fact is only known after the box has been opened and gameplay has begun. Gotcha. Microsoft is refusing requests for refunds based on this technicality. Meanie. :D

Damn, I really don't know anyone without some HDTV or monitor setup. They should disclose it beforehand, but some of these games are quite unplayable on a SDTV as one of my less financially secure friends found out.

wow. Sure the economy is bad but damn. I remember buying a 32 inch television for 800+ dollars 4-5yrs ago which now costs less than 300 dollars. There's no excuse to not have an HDTV especially after spending 250+ dollars on a console, accessories and games. Let alone the Xbox live subscription and internet connection.

And what refunds where there exactly for Dead Rising back in 2006? The developers needed to show a fair amount of text without stopping the game to cover the whole screen with a dialog box, so they used a smaller font. Result was many characters where just a blob of color on an SD screen.

Come 2012, a year when you can't even watch over the air TV on an old CRT SDTV without a converter box, a developer wants to make a 4 player split screen version of a game designed for PC screens with lots of little labels. There is no way it could work on an SD screen (even 480p wouldn't cut it, and a CRT SDTV isn't really going to show 480 distinct vertical pixels anyway).

And this is Microsoft's fault apparently.

Shouldn't they be asking Mojang for refunds? Lack of documentation isn't Microsoft's fault.

They didn't pay Mojang, they paid Microsoft. Thus, it is Microsoft's responsibility to return the money. Mojang doesn't have these peoples money, and even once they do, they'll only have a share of it. Hell, Mojang didn't even port the game to Xbox 360, someone else did.

I read somewhere that HDTV could have been 2560x1600 :(

I think you are referring to 1440p which would have been 2560x1440.

I think it would be easier to just use the same format the movie theaters use for digital distribution.

Hoeslty though, I don't see the point. I have never watched a film at 1920x1080 and wished it had higher resolution...

Zarathustra[H];1038719788 said:
People still have SDTV's?

I don't know anybody with one. They should put system requirements on the outside of the box though.

Gamers played Golden eye 4player split screen on standard definition and quality wise it looked vaguely similar to what mine craft is offering. Just enable 4player split for everyone and be done with all the drama.

Not many but you wouldn't believe the amount of people who have their consoles hooked up with composite cables on their hdtv.

Damn. They got the game, right? Some features aren't available on a crappy setup. A few games and applications are that way.

Wanna know something else? My game said it is in Dolby Digital surround, but I only have a 2.1 setup. I want my damn money back because it said it had it, but I can't use it. Fuck that shit.... :rolleyes:

While we are living in a time where nearly everyone has some type of HDTV, it's not surprising that a lot of people don't. In any case, it's ridiculous that MS didn't post this warning beforehand. It should be on the box that you can't use multiplayer if you don't have an HDTV.

Damn, I really don't know anyone without some HDTV or monitor setup. They should disclose it beforehand, but some of these games are quite unplayable on a SDTV as one of my less financially secure friends found out.

what majority of user forgets here is that US and other well developed countries are only about 50% of market for gaming, other 50% are in countries where HDTVs are available but costs fortune to get compare to in US (majorily cause import laws) even in China where majority of TVs are made not even 25% household has HDTVs.

I think the real point everyone is missing is that minecraft somehow requires HDTV to do anything......:confused: While I agree that it is utterly insane for anyone to have that level of console and still have a shit tv, the fact that minecraft of all games requiring it is completely laughable.

Upgrade your fucking TV for god sakes. Rite-Aid down the road from me is selling a 20 inch 720p TV for $129. If Rite-Aid is fucking selling HDTV's (even shitty ones) then you've got no excuse.

Save your money , stop being a cheap ass and buy one.

Hey, don't hate. We used to play Golden Eye 007 on the N64 split 4-ways on a 13" TV when I was a kid. :eek:

Upgrade your fucking TV for god sakes. Rite-Aid down the road from me is selling a 20 inch 720p TV for $129. If Rite-Aid is fucking selling HDTV's (even shitty ones) then you've got no excuse.

Save your money , stop being a cheap ass and buy one.

Fucking fuckitty fuck.

Some people have better things to buy. Everyone's situation is different, plain and simple.

I think if one could afford having an xbox360, one ought to be able to at least get a cheap HDTV.

Pairing up these modern console with a SDTV is just weird :confused:

No, but it could do composite.

Not all HDTVs will accept 1080p component signals, even if they are 1080p themselves (especially cheap ones). Buut it still doesn't output 1080p in 99% of games. It's not really an "Full HD" console.

Not all HDTVs will accept 1080p component signals, even if they are 1080p themselves (especially cheap ones). Buut it still doesn't output 1080p in 99% of games. It's not really an "Full HD" console.

Tru dat on the first count. I had an Akai 32" back a few years ago that would go haywire if you tried to put 1080i OR p over component.

On the second part, a lot of PS3 games run on 720p as well. Wii straight up doesn't do HD. Would it be fair, then, to say that there are no "Full HD" consoles yet, if no consoles do all of their games in 1080p?

If those executives were smart they would start selling standard definition versions of games and put a price premium of HD versions of games. Nickel and dime just like the telecom companies. Consumers seem to love that and they get a good feeling from it.

If those executives were smart they would start selling standard definition versions of games and put a price premium of HD versions of games. Nickel and dime just like the telecom companies. Consumers seem to love that and they get a good feeling from it.

It wouldn't work out as well since customers would only buy one or the other. Telecoms can sell you a basic package and let you upgrade for a fee, so you end up paying for the same channels twice.

It wouldn't work out as well since customers would only buy one or the other. Telecoms can sell you a basic package and let you upgrade for a fee, so you end up paying for the same channels twice.

That's what DLC is for! You can hit em twice, just like that contract Xbox Microsoft sells for an extra $100 over the standard price. People use the excuse that it's lower upfront cost for a SD game then at some point they get itchy and just got to have the HD version.

The point has been made several times in this thread: Who buys a 360 anymore and DOESN'T have an HDTV? I'll admit, back when i first bought a 360 in 2006, I had an SDTV, but it could do 480P, and I wouldn't use it at anything less. Then I just plugged it in my monitor because I hated not having HD. By the end of 2008, even my poor ass had an HDTV.

I can't even think of any of my friends or family that are still rockin' SDTV. If you've got the cash to be affording modern consoles, you're not far off from being able to afford a modern TV. If you can't afford a basic small 720p unit, then maybe you shouldn't be expecting to play latest and greatest console gaming has to offer.

I was with geek squad's theater team for a bit, yea, you'd be amazed how many people run expensive gear and crap in the same setup. Hell, we had a guy with like a 900$ Denon reciever, like 500$ in nice ass speakers, about 1200$ in labor building a room just to be a theater and he had a 42" Standard Def TV

Or, just how many places we've had people with HDTV's that are using composite still to connect.

Last job I had was a dude with a 60" monster lol, had 4 HDMI ports, and a 1k$+ Sony unit with 3 or 4 HDMI in's, and he had 7.1 surround. Ran all his consoles through composite or component (no HDMI) to the TV and used TV speakers, only ran the cable box to the reciever. He watched BluRay movies with the TV's built in 2.1 speakers.

Point is, even when people buy HDTV's there's no promise they'll actually use them in HD, or that they'll use them properly in HD (HDMI vs Composite)

Back