Meg Whitman Hints That Layoffs Are Coming For HP

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
More bad times for beleaguered Hewlett-Packard may lurking right around the corner in the form of corporate layoffs. The company has been going through cost cutting in order to restructure HP back to a healthy bottom line. Future goals will focus on more money being shifted to research and development to make the company more competitive.

But we offer this word of advice to HP employees not based in China: You might want to polish your resume.

That's cause all HP does is take stuff designed in China and Taiwan and put the HP logo on it. With Apple you can't do that anymore. You have to make elegant and original designs, otherwise people won't even bother with it.

That's cause all HP does is take stuff designed in China and Taiwan and put the HP logo on it. With Apple you can't do that anymore. You have to make elegant and original designs, otherwise people won't even bother with it.

Pretty much. Have you ever experienced their support at all? LOL

Didn't they more or less scrap all their profitable business units? Or was that plan reversed?

Didn't they more or less scrap all their profitable business units? Or was that plan reversed?

I think it was reversed. They were going to get rid of their desktop unit. But I think they kept it.

You know your in trouble when you have to do layoffs, you know they are even worse when there in China...

Any consumer support sucks balls.

It's the enterprise business support that's any good.

Back when I got my first PC I actually loved calling technical support. My first PC was a Compaq, and was running Windows 3.1 but came with Windows 95 on a CD. I honestly thought for nearly a year I was using Windows 95 until I installed it. Had a lot of problems but the Compaq technical support guys were more then willing to teach me how this thing works, and I wouldn't mind getting into a little bit of a technical discussion with them.

Now I bought a Compaq laptop recently and got a taste of HP technical support. I was actually trying to buy warranty on it, cause it's an HP product. The guy wanted something like $400 for 3 year warranty, when the laptop was only $400. I was ready to hang up the phone until suddenly he dropped the price down to $100. I bought it, cause I know HP products weren't built to last.

Nowadays any technical support that requires someone who doesn't get all their information from an instructed computer screen, wants you to pay for it. God forbid English isn't their native language either.

Now I bought a Compaq laptop recently and got a taste of HP technical support. I was actually trying to buy warranty on it, cause it's an HP product. The guy wanted something like $400 for 3 year warranty, when the laptop was only $400. I was ready to hang up the phone until suddenly he dropped the price down to $100. I bought it, cause I know HP products weren't built to last.

Nowadays any technical support that requires someone who doesn't get all their information from an instructed computer screen, wants you to pay for it. God forbid English isn't their native language either.

Sez the guy who pays $400.00 for a laptop.

Welcome to the Walmart mentality- You want it cheap, and reliable...Those two words do not belong in the same sentence.

HP systems are thundering garbage anyways. I'll rejoice when the whole works is bought out by Dell and they're forced to make better systems.

HP systems are thundering garbage anyways. I'll rejoice when the whole works is bought out by Dell and they're forced to make better systems.

Yes, great idea, cause clearly when 1 giant company merges with another giant company we always get better products at cheaper prices right?

They also never lay off people when doing so.

In related news, unicorns also fly out of my asshole and have sex with red asses monkeys wearing tiara's.

Yes, great idea, cause clearly when 1 giant company merges with another giant company we always get better products at cheaper prices right?

They also never lay off people when doing so.

In related news, unicorns also fly out of my asshole and have sex with red asses monkeys wearing tiara's.

You might want to lay off that canned unicorn meat from Thinkgeeks, you won't have problems like that in the future.

Got proof?

I am doing my part by making sure that everyone I know is told not to buy anything HP makes. And when they do buy HP I rub it in every time they call me with issues.

Sez the guy who pays $400.00 for a laptop.

Welcome to the Walmart mentality- You want it cheap, and reliable...Those two words do not belong in the same sentence.

It actually makes sense if you don't mind having disposable computers. If I spend $400 for a laptop, I can buy a new one every year for four years and still have a few $$ leftover versus spending 2K for a laptop that will be outclassed by bottom end systems in its third year, eh?

Then again, if you get lucky and the stuff lasts a while longer, you can run your el cheapo hardware for a couple extra years and get an even better ROI. I've been using the same old netbook since May of 2012 and it's still perfectly fine outside of running games, travels well, and has been used almost daily since it was purchased.

That aside, I've had higher end, more expensive laptops die within and just outside of the standard one year warranty. Price, when it comes to computer hardware, is not always an indicator of long-term reliability. Remember the nvidia graphics fiasco from their 8k series laptop video cards? Icky stuff happens at lots of points in the design and manufacture process.

Got proof?
I can back him up. HP laptops are junk, and are just recently starting to improve in build & layout quality. I'd personally take any other brand over an HP, even a Dell.

(I've been working as a repair tech for almost 7 years)

You might want to lay off that canned unicorn meat from Thinkgeeks, you won't have problems like that in the future.

It's true though, the elimination of competitive choices generally results in movement closer to a monopoly situation and that's historically been rather bad for consumers. There is other competition should HP fail to stay business and be acquired, but it does certainly thin the herd a bit, leaving fewer choices.

I like unicorns too, by the way. They're pretty!

I can back him up. HP laptops are junk, and are just recently starting to improve in build & layout quality. I'd personally take any other brand over an HP, even a Dell.

(I've been working as a repair tech for almost 7 years)

Dell's not bad at all. Here's a better one: would you take a Toshiba over an HP?

Dell's not bad at all. Here's a better one: would you take a Toshiba over an HP?
I would. Then I would promptly replace the hard drive. The only common failure I see with Toshiba units is the hard drives.

It's true though, the elimination of competitive choices generally results in movement closer to a monopoly situation and that's historically been rather bad for consumers. There is other competition should HP fail to stay business and be acquired, but it does certainly thin the herd a bit, leaving fewer choices.

I like unicorns too, by the way. They're pretty!

That line was in response to his last line not first two. :p

Using a HP DV6-3000 series bought 1st half 2011, not bad at all.

I can't imagine Meg Whitman running HP into the ground any worse than Carly Fiorina's tenure.

I dunno if Meg runs HP anything like she managed her run at governor of CA *holds in puke* then I feel for HP.

I can't imagine Meg Whitman running HP into the ground any worse than Carly Fiorina's tenure.
I can imagine her doing equally bad. Many (myself included) believe that Ebay did well in spite of Whitman, not because of her.

During her tenure, they settled with an employee over reports that she shoved/slapped him in a heated moment. She also got involved in a flap while running for office about hiring illegals for home help.

HP needs to go back to its roots and get a CEO and some board members who understand both engineering, business, and interpersonal relationships. Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard understood the key to success is in inspiring your employees (aka "The HP Way"). Since Carly, HP has been everything but that kind of company, and in many product markets, they've become the poster child for quick profit at the expense of quality product and decent support.

As for their enterprise product, it's not bad --but Lenovo and Dell often have them beat on price, while still offering decent service.

P.S. I forgot to say that I'd love to see HP succeed again. When HP gets something right, it's really cool; the MediaSmart line of Windows Home Servers (of which I own one) is an example of a product that was just done right, hardware and software both.

Back