Foxconn Boss Confirms Apple TV

HardOCP News

[H] News
With the TV market hurting as bad as it is right now, Apple jumping in with a high price iTV doesn't seem like the smartest decision.

Gou said Foxconn is making preparations for iTV, Apple Inc's rumored upcoming high-definition television, although development or manufacturing has yet to begin. iTV reportedly features an aluminum construction, Siri, and FaceTime video calling

Doesn't matter if it is expensive, the masses will still wait in line for it and buy it regardless.

and iTV is a name used in the UK for many many years - it'll cost them a pretty penny to get that name and I am sure after Apple's dealings with the Beattles over there it would be quite the fight

And people thought that Samsun TV's were expensive. :p

A 42" apple TV will probably run $1,999.99 MSRP :D

and iTV is a name used in the UK for many many years - it'll cost them a pretty penny to get that name and I am sure after Apple's dealings with the Beattles over there it would be quite the fight

They'll trick them into selling the name just like the iPad

It's also a channel in Vietnam, India, Thailand, the US (iTV cable 16), Brazil, Japan (which is known as iTV) and Azerbaijan

Also a US marines vehicle and some iphone application and is a term for interactive TV.

Typical lazy naming might be difficult for them this time.

the only thing that "worries" me about the iTV isn't hardware; it's a "one more thing" partnership with premium content providers. If you could buy a la carte access to networks like Discovery, Adult Swim or HBO without needing a cable subscription....the iTV will FLY off the shelves.

The whole point is to eventually do away with channels altogether. In the future new episodes will just be available to buy (buy meaning license for a limited time, buying being a thing of the past). Pay per view will become the standard.

yeah, i don't think apple is affected by the market.

recession ? no problem. shitloads of iphones sold anyway.

appletv killing samsung and sony tv sales wouldn't surprise me, although I think it will remain a niche product.
But that's what I said before ipad 1 came out, and look how ipad killed everyone.

The whole point is to eventually do away with channels altogether. In the future new episodes will just be available to buy (buy meaning license for a limited time, buying being a thing of the past). Pay per view will become the standard.

I think a more NetFlix-esque pricing scheme will be the standard. Pay Per View will still exist as it has for decades but it will not succeed in place of the cable package model just as it hasn't to date.

the only thing that "worries" me about the iTV isn't hardware; it's a "one more thing" partnership with premium content providers. If you could buy a la carte access to networks like Discovery, Adult Swim or HBO without needing a cable subscription....the iTV will FLY off the shelves.

that is exactly what we are leading up to, and while Apple isn't the first to bring a smart tv to the market, I think they will be the first very successful maker.

And while we may not see a "one more thing" where they are partnering up with major networks on launch day, I can certainly see it happening relatively soon after if the "iTV" is successful.

I think Siri will be the killer feature here. No other smart TV has had a simple way to control it. Remotes are clumsy, especially when it comes to typing text. Nobody wants to use a keyboard and mouse in their living room. And the "use the force" controls like we've seen with the kinect and samsung TVs isn't ready for prime time until it gets to the level of hand control we see in movies like Minority Report (which is real tech, there's a TED talk on it).

None of those are as simple as saying, "Siri, turn to comedy central" and bam, you're watching CC. Or "Siri, search for flying kittens on youtube." It will be a huge game changer. While devices like the kinect have had voice control, it is fairly limited, unnatural feeling, and doesn't work well enough to make it worthwhile. I just resort to pushing buttons on the controller.

that is exactly what we are leading up to, and while Apple isn't the first to bring a smart tv to the market, I think they will be the first very successful maker.

And while we may not see a "one more thing" where they are partnering up with major networks on launch day, I can certainly see it happening relatively soon after if the "iTV" is successful.

I think Siri will be the killer feature here. No other smart TV has had a simple way to control it. Remotes are clumsy, especially when it comes to typing text. Nobody wants to use a keyboard and mouse in their living room. And the "use the force" controls like we've seen with the kinect and samsung TVs isn't ready for prime time until it gets to the level of hand control we see in movies like Minority Report (which is real tech, there's a TED talk on it).

None of those are as simple as saying, "Siri, turn to comedy central" and bam, you're watching CC. Or "Siri, search for flying kittens on youtube." It will be a huge game changer. While devices like the kinect have had voice control, it is fairly limited, unnatural feeling, and doesn't work well enough to make it worthwhile. I just resort to pushing buttons on the controller.

I almost forgot to say, why would that "worry" you? lol just a funny thing to say, unless you were Apple's competitors or affiliated with a cable provider. :p

The iTV will fly just because it's an Apple product. Just look at how successful the iPad is. Now imagine something like iTunes and you could easily see cable companies crumble.

What about internet access? Always that rumor that Apple will make their own Wifi system that was meant for the iPhone.

I almost forgot to say, why would that "worry" you? lol just a funny thing to say, unless you were Apple's competitors or affiliated with a cable provider. :p

Because Apple is big on exclusivity and partnership with content channels would most likely be a Apple iTV only deal. Cutting the rest of us on Rokus, Boxees, WDTVs and even AppleTVs out in the cold. :(

(a la carte would reach us unwashed masses eventually.... me wantey now.)

A set top box is $100 tops. Too damn cheap to be profitable. Say the iTV is $2000. Plenty of profit to pass on to content providers to add their networks/programming to Apple's stable. (and users would still pay monthly "Netflix-like"subscirption fees to each network!)

Am I paranoid enough?

I think a more NetFlix-esque pricing scheme will be the standard. Pay Per View will still exist as it has for decades but it will not succeed in place of the cable package model just as it hasn't to date.

Unlikely. Everyone wants a slice of the instant streaming pie. Why resell your product at a reduced price to group bundlers (like Netflix) when you can start your own streaming service selling just your product and reap in more money?

The Netflix model is doomed, and the market will become quickly fragmented. :(

I think Siri will be the killer feature here. No other smart TV has had a simple way to control it. Remotes are clumsy, especially when it comes to typing text.

They will FAIL in an epic manner. To have the best screens, then will have to use Samsung which already charges a serious premium for their displays. And the margins are thin as it is. Otherwise Apple won't have the best.

And XBox already has voice navigation for Hulu and Netflix and YouTube via Kinect. And due to background noise, it's a little flaky. It's a flawed implementation at best because the voice recognition sensor has to filter out what's coming over the TV speakers. In otherwords, it has to filter the TV's talking dialog with your own by applying an inverse filter of the TV Audio to cancel it. This is tricky at best. Apple will do no better than Microsoft in this regard.

Looks like Apple's iTV will use Sharp panels & electronics....

They rank 3rd in TV quality.

Yep. They will fail miserably.

While Working at Fry's I discovered Sharp was also in the top 3 failure rate.

Yea no one buys sharp unless they want the cheapest TV.

I'll save any critism for when its released, with the listed feature set and a price.

I'm betting this won't be very attractive for the price. Siri also won't replace a remote, I don't want to scream at my TV when I want to change channels.

I think this confirmation is complete BS.

The TV market is saturated, and everyone is losing Billions on the TV business now. I don't see anyone relishing getting into this market.

I think Apple will only keep selling set top boxes, not actual TVs, or perhaps license Apple TV code for use in TVs.

But actual TVs? I think it would be a severe blow to Tim Cooks credibility as CEO to wade into that stagnant money losing market.

Remove the name apple and There aren't many people on this forum who wouldn't jump all over an aluminum bodied TV if money were a non issue. Unlike most of the haters around here I am keeping my eye on this one. My 52" samsung is nice but I am itching for something new and shiny and while I couldn't give a shit about apple or their offerings, an aluminum bodied TV will certainly demand my consideration.

how in the hell is foxconn going to make a "high-end" display ? If they are the ODM you can pretty much completely drop the hopes of a OLED.

And Foxconn is no longer a production partner...

no one will be able to beat foxconn's manufacturing price so they'll still have it specially after this screw up Apple will make them lower the manufacturing cost even more and bag more profit on us.

Back