Pay To “Highlight” Your Facebook Status Updates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Are you sad and lonely because no one reads your status updates? Well, you are in luck, Facebook is here to help! All you have to do is enter your credit card information and let the company promote your status updates! :rolleyes:

Facebook is testing an option called “Highlight” that lets you pay a few dollars to have one of your posts appear to more friends. Highlight lets the average user, not Pages or businesses, select an “important post” and “make sure friends see this”, but not color it yellow as Stuff wrote when it first spotted the feature.

Ya, you know, I been a little vocal about how FB should be considered your private life outside of work unless you represent your company through a FB account, but shit like just ask and deserve for you to be fired.
gallery_0_4_107102.gif

farcebook seems desperate to me.
their business model is all over the place, and their new ideas seem like a random jumble of crap.
It's like they sit around a table all day, and execute random ideas without cohesion.

first, organ donor status, now this shit.

recent articles state that there is weak demand for its IPO. I hope that is the case.

Is it possible they're trying to bulk up on revenue stream to make the IPO funding targets? A mainstream news outlet noted that the the dramatic slowdown in Facebook growth might make investors more cautious. These sorts of things might very well be stunts to keep media speculation away from people pondering a future MySpace-like implosion just because of the slowdown.

Stupid ideas like this highlight the simple observation that Facebook is running out of options for new growth on that site.

There's only so many people in the world...

True, and not all of them have a computer or Internet access. Of those that do, not all of them will be bothered with Facebook. The slowdown might be the consequence of nearing market saturation or it might be an indication of declining societal interest caused by any number of factors or a combination of such. Either way, it's causing a bit of nervousness among potential investors who are notoriously twitchy to begin with. What all that speculation means when shares become available for purchase has yet to be seen. I'm certain everyone and their monkey will be talking about it when it happens no matter the outcome.

Not to mention people are simply starting to leave Facebook. Several of my associates are closing their accounts because of privacy concerns and I'm sure going public and having to answer to investors first, users second, is not going to help allay those concerns.

Not to mention people are simply starting to leave Facebook. Several of my associates are closing their accounts because of privacy concerns and I'm sure going public and having to answer to investors first, users second, is not going to help allay those concerns.

I closed mine, never to return!
(Why did I even start one....)(rhetorical, don't answer)

As soon as I heard HR departments using it to determine if you get hired, I deleted mine. Fuck the corporations.

It's not that hard to lock down your profile.

But anyway, on-topic...this is retarded, but if people actually pay for it then more power to Facebook I guess.

They already have 700 million or 900 million users or whatever, depending on who you ask. What are they going to do, expand the user base ten times? Get the recently dead and soon to be born on there?

farcebook seems desperate to me.
their business model is all over the place, and their new ideas seem like a random jumble of crap.
It's like they sit around a table all day, and execute random ideas without cohesion.

first, organ donor status, now this shit.

recent articles state that there is weak demand for its IPO. I hope that is the case.

Actually this may not be that random.

Facebook is nothing more than a tool, its up to people to use it. And fact is, many people are a big attention whore. Just look at those people who feel the need to update what they had for lunch and dinner daily.

Many people have this weird tendency to want the world the know what they are doing, where they are, etc etc. Maybe they feel like a celebrity among their friends, who knows.:p This is just another tool for Facebook to cash in one that. If people are retarded enough to use this service, then all the more power to Facebook.

They are not the only business who cash in on people's stupidity.;)

Back