New DVD Anti-Piracy Warning

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sweet, a new logo! That ought to put an end to piracy! This reminds me of that picture showing all the steps a legit DVD owner must go through to watch a movie versus a pirated version.

Homeland security? Lol.

Next step is they will just have a hand reach out and slap you across the face before you watch the movie.

Also, obligatory:

piratemovie.jpg

^^ Awesome picture haha. Ripping and stripping BDs/DVDs for the win.

That poster is exactly how it goes, and is the main reason a lot of people rip their DVD's and Blu-ray's. Major inconvenience for people to have all that crap there for someone that bought and paid for the DVD already. They didn't pirate it, they are supporting the studios, yet they are the ones being treated like the criminal. Thanks, studios.

I'm gonna go download a f'in movie. (not really....)

Mr. Steve. You know you just copied that copyrighted image and posted it here on the interwebs? :eek:

Also it never specifies which "copyrighted work" it refers to. I always assume it means that silly FBI picture, which is why pirated copies don't include it. :D

That poster is exactly how it goes, and is the main reason a lot of people rip their DVD's and Blu-ray's. Major inconvenience for people to have all that crap there for someone that bought and paid for the DVD already. They didn't pirate it, they are supporting the studios, yet they are the ones being treated like the criminal. Thanks, studios.

Like game DRM. Fuck you ubisoft.

I saw this on the Underworld : Awakening Blu-ray and thought "Why does Copyright Infringement fall under Homeland Security?"

Zarathustra[H];1038712507 said:
Not familliar with that picture, but your description reminded me of this comic on The Oatmeal.

OMG, this is what does happen! I bought a movie that had the digital copy included and when I went to redeem the coupon it told me it was expired. I looked at the date and it expired three days earlier. I tried to get them to honor it but they wouldn't. So now I have a legit digital copy disk that is worthless. But, if I download it via "magic" then that makes me a F******* pirate. You try to do the right thing and you get screwed. :mad:

I saw this on the Underworld : Awakening Blu-ray and thought "Why does Copyright Infringement fall under Homeland Security?"

Because police state? And something to do with jobs...
Good question, actually.

Also, obligatory:

Not sure what movies you buy, but I am always watching my movie within less than 5 minutes(And the reason for about 95% of that is because my Blu-ray player is old and "meh").

Although I agree that HBO is stupid, they should offer their services to Netflix or some other streaming service, I don't want to pay for god damn cable just to see Game of Thrones :mad:

When I buy off of Zune or Amazon I'm usually watching pretty fast. But that doesn't mean those comic's are far off from just about everything else. Also F*** iTunes pricing.

Wow, homeland security. The priorities betray the bribes.

Piracy and drugs fund terrorism, didn't you know? That's how terrorists make money. They're on the streets daily selling their bootleg dvds and cds and some drugs so you can get high while being entertained.

Probably a few years away from ads like the IT Crowds anti piracy bit.

It does seem like everyone who legitimately purchases the wares get punished. Yeah we can strip the stuff out but we paid for the stupid thing why should we be forced to jump through the hoops.

Maybe if they made more quality products people would pay to see them more often.

Ah yes, more of that Ready Fire Aim policy that always works so well.

Does anyone know if you have to put up with this kind of bullshit if you buy a movie on say itunes? why do they seem only punish physical media owners?

Takes a while to get it, even reading the wiki article for U. S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The short answer is that almost all pirated stuff on the Internet comes from outside of the US, meaning it's crossing the border; once you realize that, it makes a little more sense. Just about everything that crosses the border, including stolen and counterfeit stuff, was handled by various departments within the Customs Service. The Customs Service was one of the many departments that got swallowed by Homeland Security.

Takes a while to get it, even reading the wiki article for U. S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The short answer is that almost all pirated stuff on the Internet comes from outside of the US, meaning it's crossing the border; once you realize that, it makes a little more sense. Just about everything that crosses the border, including stolen and counterfeit stuff, was handled by various departments within the Customs Service. The Customs Service was one of the many departments that got swallowed by Homeland Security.

but in this case it's digital, it doesn't go through Customs, and nobody is paying for it, therefore no support

"Homeland Security", ugh, that sham of a department is somehow involved. Piracy must somehow be an issue of national security...

"Piracy is not a victimless crime" that's reaching just a bit.

I find it ironic that legally purchased DVD's contain piracy warnings, while pirated ones don't.

I find it ironic that legally purchased DVD's contain piracy warnings, while pirated ones don't.

Or that legally purchased DVD's contain ads/unskippable trailers while pirated ones don't. Pay money, receive ads? Kinda backwards.

The Department of Homeland Security uses the TSA which uses the back of their hand to pat down the disc paying close attention to the small hole in the middle of the disc. Having just traveled to Arizona and back to Virginia with my replaced knee I got the whole treatment and the rehearsed speech they use as they physically violate anyone who sets off the detector. The metal in my knee and the metal in my back are directly related to my 23 years in the military. Yeah, that is why I served my country for the free prostate exams at the airport.

The FBI piracy logo brings back memories of those arcade games in the 90s that had them plastered all over them. Especially Capcom games.

The Department of Homeland Security uses the TSA which uses the back of their hand to pat down the disc paying close attention to the small hole in the middle of the disc. Having just traveled to Arizona and back to Virginia with my replaced knee I got the whole treatment and the rehearsed speech they use as they physically violate anyone who sets off the detector. The metal in my knee and the metal in my back are directly related to my 23 years in the military. Yeah, that is why I served my country for the free prostate exams at the airport.

First thank you for your service, I really appreciate it.

It has to be even more heartbreaking for all veterans than it is for me to see this country slowly embracing the ways of life that we have fought wars in the past to keep from our shores. I hope the average American will soon wake up and learn how to be involved in the government that belongs to them, and let government officials know that they work for us, not anyone else and if they don't we will kick them out to the curb and put someone else in who understands how a public servant should act.

I wonder if everyone just stopped flying, for pleasure, business, whatever and the revenue of the airlines fell drastically, would they rethink and drop the TSA? Or would they then try to pass some kind of law that forced you to fly every where you go that is more then 200miles from your house, just as they are trying to force everyone to purchase health insurance?

Homeland security? Lol.

Next step is they will just have a hand reach out and slap you across the face before you watch the movie.

Homeland Security Investigations is formally known as ICE, Immigration Customs Enforcement aka legacy customs aka Custom Agents.

I've never heard of FBI handling these types of copyright cases in the past tens years anyway. Oops I've said too much.

I wonder if everyone just stopped flying, for pleasure, business, whatever and the revenue of the airlines fell drastically, would they rethink and drop the TSA? Or would they then try to pass some kind of law that forced you to fly every where you go that is more then 200miles from your house, just as they are trying to force everyone to purchase health insurance?

I've already stopped flying.
Once the kids where old enough to remember (but still young enough to not mind hanging around with thier parents for 2 weeks), we started taking long family vacations. These included flights across the country and even overseas. Since they started the enhanced pat downs and installed the new scanners at the local airports, we have switched to driving vacations. This summer will be a 2,400 mile trip, taking in several national parks.

Even if they were to get rid of TSA, any contracted company would still have to follow those particular guidelines set forth by TSA. Then it would go to the lowest bidder saving the tax payer money.

I have to agree though man. The bullshit they include on retail discs are ridiculous, especially the ones which have everything "unskippable". The unskippable crap makes me angry and probably one of the main reasons I dont buy too many movies. I can copy my own discs and remove that garbage.

I have to agree though man. The bullshit they include on retail discs are ridiculous, especially the ones which have everything "unskippable". The unskippable crap makes me angry and probably one of the main reasons I dont buy too many movies. I can copy my own discs and remove that garbage.

It's kind of sad to be honest. Individuals hate ads/trailers, so they fastforward. Advertisers know people hate them, so they disable the ability to fastforward. This to me, translates into them conceding the fact that no one likes to watch that stuff, and if that's the case, maybe the entire model of advertising needs to change, rather than disabling peoples control over their own purchased products.

It's kind of sad to be honest. Individuals hate ads/trailers, so they fastforward. Advertisers know people hate them, so they disable the ability to fastforward. This to me, translates into them conceding the fact that no one likes to watch that stuff, and if that's the case, maybe the entire model of advertising needs to change, rather than disabling peoples control over their own purchased products.

I am sure this is why we haven't seen commercial skipping become a standard feature on cable subscriber DVR units.

I am sure this is why we haven't seen commercial skipping become a standard feature on cable subscriber DVR units.

This is nothing new. I just turned 50 last month and can remember my grandfather had a long electrical cord with a flip-switch on it from the couch to the TV hidden under the carpet when I was a we lad (circa 1975). His magical invention cut off the speaker every time a commercial came on.

The major problem with our politicians is that it has become a retirement system for the wealthy instead of a "civic duty" to a true American.

Back