Sony Reports Record Annual Loss

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. :(

The electronics and entertainment company, which also makes "Spider-Man" movies, reported Thursday a loss of 255 billion yen ($3.2 billion) for the January-March period — its fifth straight quarterly net loss to round out a fiscal year that was the worst in its 66-year corporate history.

1.) They're not making products people want to buy

2.) They still insist on useless proprietary technologies and fees.

Sony products are just overpriced and people woke up to this. Sony is a relic of a time when competition was weak and they could get with the "you can buy any color as long as its black" sales method.

Azhar records annual not giving a shit about Sony's annual loss.

They should sell the rights to the Spiderman movies back to Marvel so Spiderman can be in Avengers 2.

Dang, Sony posted a $5.7 Billion annual loss,

I think they are trying to catch up with the US GOV!

Having your online service down for a month while your credit information gets eaten doesn't help things. Honestly, i'm not sad about sony's losses, Karma is a bitch ain't it? :p

Their TV's are still pretty nice, but also rather expensive.

I remember walking through the Sony Style store at the local mall (while waiting for my car to be worked on at sears automotive, I never go to the mall :p ) and not seeing really anything that interested me.

They headphones were nice, but not as nice as my beyerdynamic's, their TV's were nice, but not worth what they were asking for them. Their Vaio laptops were nice, but way overpriced.

I feel like they tried to become Apple, but without the fanboys, mystique and the reality distortion field they couldn't pull it off.

Having your online service down for a month while your credit information gets eaten doesn't help things. Honestly, i'm not sad about sony's losses, Karma is a bitch ain't it? :p

yes, that was pretty bad.

At the same time though, I have NO IDEA how anyone puts up with PAYING to use their Xbox online...

It's absolutely ridiculous.

and the world yawns; because sony is a crappy company that quit being worth spending the money for in the mid-late 90's. For the most part their products are over priced crap and the rootkit and playstation fiasco will never be forgiven. They should just change their name; because they've thoroughly trashed the one they have now.

Oh yay, let me guess, it will be another government bailout. :rolleyes:

Hardly. Sony failing isn't going to affect the country like big banks and the auto industry would. Besides, Sony's based in Japan. Pretty much their problem, not ours.

Zarathustra[H];1038710467 said:

At the same time though, I have NO IDEA how anyone puts up with PAYING to use their Xbox online...

I dunno, free demos, advanced friends list features, free content and content that is made available earlier on Xbox live than PSN is a good starting list. Also the lack of Xbox live going down for 'maintenance' periodically.

And there's also the fact that if you wait you can get a yearly Xbox live membership for a discount, and it includes Microsoft mailing you a free game.

And finally, I've worked out Microsoft's usage policy on downloadable games, and it allows me to buy 1 copy of a downloadable game so that my wife and I can both play it simulateously on our 2 Xboxes.

Seriously, there's stuff there that you can find that's worth the $48 a year.

It makes me smile. They still don't learn do they? There's only room for one leader that does everything proprietary and very expensive, and if you do that, you have to make sure the product is worth the sacrifices. Sony hasn't had that in years, and they won't get it back now. They need to open up and embrace power users and modders. The age when a company could control every aspect of their products and service after sale is long gone.

Sony is a major backer of anti-consumer lobbying such as SOPA, ACTA etc. I have not bought a Sony product in almost two decades.

Sony products are just overpriced and people woke up to this. Sony is a relic of a time when competition was weak and they could get with the "you can buy any color as long as its black" sales method.

TVs = overpriced and the dynamic contrast adjustment kills dark images (wish I would have bought Samsung or LG three years ago). Laptops = overpriced and the really high end Z2 has virtually no upgrade options (RAM, HDD, etc) yet costs more than Apple laptops. Desktops = who buys Sony desktops? Blu-Ray players = seem to be good value but I'm sure the profit margins aren't there. PS3 = well...maybe there's value there in having your personal information stolen :p.

Their performance this year is not surprising.

the last sony i bought was over 10 years ago- trinitron tv and monitor.

these days, sony is just not worth it.

I flat out refuse to buy any sony products. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. Sony has shot itself in the foot so many times that it's having trouble hobbling on the stumps it has left.

Azhar records annual not giving a shit about Sony's annual loss.

I lol'ed :p

Anyways - it's kind of sad to see this happening. I mean I'm no fan of Sony these days, but the part of me that used to swear by the PS1 brand is crying right about now. I wonder what this means for Sony. There's no way they'll be able to survive at this rate without massive restructuring.

Zarathustra[H];1038710462 said:
I feel like they tried to become Apple, but without the fanboys, mystique and the reality distortion field they couldn't pull it off.

Actually, it's the other way around. Sony has been overcharging for their product well before Apple. Sony, i guess, started the "name" tax, but I guess they couldn't build a reliable RDF. Apple just perfected what Sony started.

Actually, it's the other way around. Sony has been overcharging for their product well before Apple. Sony, i guess, started the "name" tax, but I guess they couldn't build a reliable RDF. Apple just perfected what Sony started.

That seems to be their "thing".

I did my part by buying two Sony HDTV and BD Player. Hopefully they will turn around to profit soon. I love Sony TVs and it's the only brand I'll buy.

If Sony goes it will be a huge loss. Do any of you people realize that the Japanese make far better products than the Koreans and Chinese? Across the board?

Bye-bye OLED, bye-bye crystal LED. Sony is a piece of crap, but its the best we've got.

If Sony goes it will be a huge loss. Do any of you people realize that the Japanese make far better products than the Koreans and Chinese? Across the board?

Bye-bye OLED, bye-bye crystal LED. Sony is a piece of crap, but its the best we've got.

Uhm. News flash: Sony doesn't even make most of their own shit anymore. They're a design company that mostly sources their parts from other companies.

http://www.zdnetasia.com/sony-ups-reliance-on-lg-for-lcd-screens-62303664.htm

TheArticle said:
Japanese electronics giant Sony has increased its dependence on liquid crystal display (LCD) screens from Korean company LG, following a split from a previous partnership with Samsung Electronics in October last year.

Zarathustra[H];1038710467 said:

Huh, have you ever used both the PS network and Xbox live?

PSN is a heaping load of dog shit in comparison to the paltry few dollars a month you pay for xbox live. They are not even remotely on the same level.

After the way they handled the ps3 hacking, and the whole root it thing, I have zero sympathy for Sony.

Huh, have you ever used both the PS network and Xbox live?

PSN is a heaping load of dog shit in comparison to the paltry few dollars a month you pay for xbox live. They are not even remotely on the same level.

Well, PSN is obviously mismanaged. We know that from the whole network being down due to hacking.

Prior to that though, I don't recall there being too many issues (I should qualify this with that I have never played a game on either PS3 or Xbox, with the exception of being bullied into trying some Kinect games my wife bought, which I found rather lame.)

My stepsons used to play games on the PS3 all the time, and I don't recall them complaining about issues until the hacking downtime.

I do have to say that I find their design highly annoying though. I used to use the PS3 to stream Netflix, but when PSN went down it wouldn't allow me to stream Netflix without first logging into PSN (which I obviously couldn't). This infuriated me. Why should I need to sign into PSN just to use Netflix?

The way these things SHOULD work is like a PC. Don't tie them to the specific network, don't require sign ins, and - as in Steam - let game sales fund the community interface, and for gods sake, let things that don't technically require being signed into a network work without being signed into a network...

Sony has been living off it's rep for years it's finally caught up to them. Hopefully they will get back to innovating and become a force again.

Back