Can 3-pin fans be speed-controlled?

Objekt

Limp Gawd
I recently bought an NZXT Source 210 Elite case, and unfortunately, it came with two 3-pin, 140mm fans. My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H) has three, 4-pin fan power/control sockets. I haven't started the built yet. Am I correct in thinking the motherboard won't be able to control the fans' speed, but instead they will be running full-blast at all times?

Is there any way I could convert the 3-pin fans to 4-pin fans?

I've been shopping for 4-pin fans, but the 140mm ones are sort of expensive (I don't care to spend $50 on 3 fans). Amongst the 120mm fans, I don't know which ones are good, and most of them seem to have an LED inside (do not want).

So am I stuck replacing the fans if I want speed control? A fan controller seems like overkill, given that I will be running only 3 fans (the two included + one for the front that I still have to install).

No they will be controlled just fine, The 4th pin is for PWM.

PWM (Pulse width modulation) Is the ability to adjust the rotation speed on the fly without changing the input voltage delivered to the cooling fan.

Your motherboard will be able to control them with voltage.

P.S. Good to see my cop paste skills are good. :D

Ok, thanks! I thought back to my current build (specs in sig) and remembered it has 3-pin fan sockets on the mobo, yet there is both BIOS and software control of fan speeds. It's good to know I'm not going insane.

I have an extra 3-pin 120mm fan that I can install for a bit more airflow. It'd be good to have at least one fan at the front.

As far as I know that mobo does not support voltage control on fans and will require fans with a speed control function (PWM) to be controlled with the mobo.

The manual is a little ambiguous on that point.

Page 23 shows the pinout on the 3 system fan sockets. Two of them have the speed control on pin 4. The remaining one, system fan #1 (opposite end of the board from CPU), has the speed control on pin 2.

The 140mm case fan is a sleeve bearing type, so I expect I'll have the opportunity to replace it sooner rather than later anyway.

As far as I know that mobo does not support voltage control on fans and will require fans with a speed control function (PWM) to be controlled with the mobo.

This. If you want PWM fans that are absolutely silent, grab some Slipstream PWM fans from Performance PCS ( They can spin from 0-1700 rpm). They even sleeve them for free - http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26797 Or if they'll fit up top, maybe get some Thermalright TY-140 fans (160mmx140mm with 120mm holes)

Yes, Slip streams are good quiet fans that you cant go wrong with at that price. I don't believe yate loon has many PWM fans. :(

The SS are good fans, move allot of air for the noise, however they do have shorter life spans, 30k hours MTBF, and they do wear out faster when mounted horizontal. Which is why I like the AC F12's, they use a FDB with I believe a 400k MTBF, were rated by Martin as having one of the smoothest sounding motors and moving a good deal of air for the noise. They are also cheaper than the SS fans, I have seen them on sale for as low as 6 bucks.

$6? That would be awesome. I'll keep an eye out. Even $8.95/ea. isn't bad.

Yeah, like mwave has them for 5.99, like most places what kills it is the shipping, however, if you are buying more than one, its not bad, shipping goes up very little with more fans.

Guarana [BAWLS];1038707083 said:
Rheostats, or 7/12v double throw switches.

Kids these days and fancy PWM fans.

True Rheostat controllers worth anything can get pricey, also, most fans when undervolted will tend to have motor noises and/or clicking etc, some fans fair better than others. They also reach a limit, some of the better fans have high start up voltages etc etc which can cause even more problems. PWM on the other hand stops the problems with undervolting motor noises as there is no undervolting involved, there are also no problems with start up voltages and many PWM fans can go to sub 600RPM, as well, more and more mobos are being made with PWM headers everywhere and as such PWM control is automatic and can be set to profiles and not have to worry about changing fan speed when you start gaming or doing something with heavy loading.

The SS are good fans, move allot of air for the noise, however they do have shorter life spans, 30k hours MTBF, and they do wear out faster when mounted horizontal. Which is why I like the AC F12's, they use a FDB with I believe a 400k MTBF, were rated by Martin as having one of the smoothest sounding motors and moving a good deal of air for the noise. They are also cheaper than the SS fans, I have seen them on sale for as low as 6 bucks.

Those aren't PWM.

Those aren't PWM.

Yes, they are. "Arctic Cooling F12 PWM" You can even see this in the model number: "ACF12-PWM".

Exactly, I'm not keen on paying $15 of shipping for 3 fans.

Shipping for 5 fans for me is 10 bucks, 5.99 x 5 + 10 still only comes to 7.99 each. This will also be the case with most places that sell fans, so the price still works out the same no matter the fan you get, these just have a lower over all price.

Yes, they are. "Arctic Cooling F12 PWM" You can even see this in the model number: "ACF12-PWM".

Shipping for 5 fans for me is 10 bucks, 5.99 x 5 + 10 still only comes to 7.99 each. This will also be the case with most places that sell fans, so the price still works out the same no matter the fan you get, these just have a lower over all price.

The link to Mwave are NOT the PWM version. I should have quote that link rather then your first post.

I'm going to run with the 3-pin fans and see how it goes. I already blew through my original $1000 build budget by purchasing a Steelseries 6Gv2 keyboard ($85) so I'm reluctant to spend still more on additional fans, when I have three that work just fine (two supplied with the case + spare 120mm from another build).

Back