Using the Doppler Effect to Sense Gestures

Lag much?

It's not perfect nor is it a finished product of any sort at that. I imagine there would be limitations to just having a speaker and a microphone without any extra hardware but it's still cool.

I can imagine everyones computer just humming while they make crazy hand motions in front of the screen.

Give em some glowsticks and shut the lights off, add music and voila, instant rave.

Imagining the numnuts going to Starbucks sitting there waving like madmen, oh this is going to be so fun watching. :D

I can imagine everyones computer just humming while they make crazy hand motions in front of the screen.

Give em some glowsticks and shut the lights off, add music and voila, instant rave.

Easier yet, push out sound waves the human ear cant discern.. You wouldn't hear anything and it would still work.

Gestures would be bad ass for the internet

*pop up* Would you like to take a short survey on your web experience before you even use the site you're trying to be at??

*flips off screen*

*pop up closes*

Looks one dimensional. I would guess that the mic is located on the left side of the laptops keyboard. It seems to only recognize distance regardless of direction.

In the parts where the mic is visible (And on where i'm guessing the mic is on the laptop), the hand only goes towards and away from the mic. In the parts where the person seems to be doing horizontal gestures, he's actually moving his hand at an angle, again towards and away from the mic.

Isn't there some sort of research going on that uses cameras to recognize visual cues? They're already good enough to recognize a face. How would it be to recognize and track a large moving object in front of the camera.

The Doppler Effect is quite interesting.

It allowed Einstein to get a proper sense of light and its important role in our perception of time. Not to mention among its more amazing uses would be finding exo-planets in other solar systems.

If you had 2 microphones you probably could triangulate to do sideways / 3d motion.

"inaudible tones from 18 to 22 kilohertz"..... Um I can hear 18,000hz easily.

This mosquito tone would drive most people in the age range most likely to use it insane.

Not only that, using a existing mic? i'm not sure many built in microphones can handle 18-22 kHz well.

I like the tech, just not the implementation. I'd rather see a cheap external device using this tech to ensure the quality of experience but even then I have serious concerns over RSI of stuff like this and the kinnect over eye-tracking since your eyes move where you want to look naturally so scrolling could be a simple keystroke combined with a shift of focus.

Why use the mouse wheel to scroll up and down when you can wave your hands around like a spaz?!

These days there's too much focus on being 'innovative' and not enough focus on being better.

Back