Proposed World’s Tallest Building Would be 3,445 Feet High

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The tallest building in the world has been proposed to be built in Azerbaijan, of all places. The 189 stories would top the present height holder in Dubai by 29 floors. The only things standing in the way of the world’s tallest building is government approval and $2 Billion in financing. Construction would get underway in 2015 and be completed by 2019.

It's insane how tall they are able to make buildings! Although if I were going to break the current world record I'd want to do it by more than 29 floors.

Reminds me of ancient times when they would try to out do each other with the biggest thing.

Why are the buildings around it symmetrical? Looks like they don't even have funding to complete a model skyline.

It's insane how tall they are able to make buildings! Although if I were going to break the current world record I'd want to do it by more than 29 floors.

If the figures are correct that this building would be 29 floors higher than the "previous" world record holder, then that 29 floors would equate to a nearly 20% increase in building height (assuming standardized floor heights blah blah blah).

I would say that that is a good margin.

i have a better question how are these going to make money? is the building in the UAE mostly empty as it is?

If the figures are correct that this building would be 29 floors higher than the "previous" world record holder, then that 29 floors would equate to a nearly 20% increase in building height (assuming standardized floor heights blah blah blah).

I would say that that is a good margin.

Indeed. It's just...I don't know, 29 floors just doesn't sound like a lot. Though it is impressive, no doubt :)

Im still waiting for this building to go up.

halflife2_citadel1.jpg

Anyone else find it pretty astonishing we can accomplish this sort of thing in less than 5 years?

I hope it comes with parachutes for each window, getting out of that thing in a disaster would be impossible.

i wonder how long it will be until we actually have a full mile high building?

Isn't there some kind of acropolis thing being proposed in Japan? I guess it wouldn't be as tall though...

It won't be long before we reach mile-high buildings at this pace. You know someone will want to reach that mark first.

Isn't there some kind of acropolis thing being proposed in Japan? I guess it wouldn't be as tall though...

It won't be long before we reach mile-high buildings at this pace. You know someone will want to reach that mark first.

my guess is that they will go for the kilometer-high building first.... you know, what the rest of the world use :)

my guess is that they will go for the kilometer-high building first.... you know, what the rest of the world use :)

Well ... this building will surpass that mark if approved so one record down one to go. :)

When you have practically unlimited funding from oil money - you can literally do anything.

Except when that money dries up they will literally have almost zero infastructure to support their stupid spending spree's. Buildings like this are a money pit compared to splitting them up. Seeing buildings like this impress me but make me laugh all in the same. Much like biulding your own island.

Also that picture looks like something out of the movie robots :D

when they were building the Burj Khalifa in Dubai I remember seeing a show on how it was built and that it's the same company that is building all these sky scrapers in the middle east. The way it was told is that they build a tall building for one country and then go convince the next country that they need a taller building to out do their neighbor. seems like a good business model to me. although i'd rather see are oil money going to something that will do some sort of lasting good.

Another company does the same thing with a long series of the worlds tallest flag poles.

"the new mecca of the middle east"... wait, wheres mecca again? :p

Except when that money dries up they will literally have almost zero infastructure to support their stupid spending spree's. Buildings like this are a money pit compared to splitting them up. Seeing buildings like this impress me but make me laugh all in the same. Much like biulding your own island.

I think part of it is that they're making the place into an attraction and a viable place to live. Now-a-days if you said that you lived in Dubai, it means a lot more than 10 years ago. Not only that, it's a tourist attraction in its own right.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably not a great return on capital, but it is some sort of investment.

The "sky tree" hawas finished in February and is 634m (2,080 ft) so not quiite so big. But is the current record holder. :D

I think part of it is that they're making the place into an attraction and a viable place to live. Now-a-days if you said that you lived in Dubai, it means a lot more than 10 years ago. Not only that, it's a tourist attraction in its own right.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably not a great return on capital, but it is some sort of investment.

Seriously? Who is going to Dubai as a tourist? God I can think of a hundred places I'd rather go.

almost as silly as speculating the what-if of petrol dollars drying up...oh man that comment was rich

Kingdom Tower (3304 ft) in Jeddah will break Burj Khalifa (2,722ft) record in 2016, it's final hight is a secret but the architect implied that it might reach 3609ft so this thing (3445 ft) might break nothing and anyway, Dubai guy will break them all again.

and looks like they can't just add more floors
In May 2008, soil testing in the area cast doubt over whether the proposed location could support a skyscraper of the proposed one mile height, and MEED reported that the project had been scaled back, making it "up to 500 metres (1,640 ft) shorter

They're cheating, again.

Having a 29-floor stick at the top should not win you any awards.

Why don't I just build a 20-floor building with a 4,000-foot tall pillar. My building would be the world's tallest!

They're cheating, again.

Having a 29-floor stick at the top should not win you any awards.

Why don't I just build a 20-floor building with a 4,000-foot tall pillar. My building would be the world's tallest!

Then ill just build a 5 floor building with a space elevator! :D

I remember that being discussed a while back. The word was Arcology. An indoor city housing a few hundred thousand people and businesses all connected by a tram system. No idea if it's still being planned but I knew the problem was finding the proper materials and polymers. Of course, Japan's economic collapse has to also factor in.

I remember that being discussed a while back. The word was Arcology. An indoor city housing a few hundred thousand people and businesses all connected by a tram system. No idea if it's still being planned but I knew the problem was finding the proper materials and polymers. Of course, Japan's economic collapse has to also factor in.

Found it. Shimizu Mega-City Pyramid. Though there's also a conceptual design from Dubai called Ziggurat and a delayed project in Russia called Crystal Island (that one looks cool). None of which would be more than 2800 ft. tall but the sheer area covered would be much greater.

Seriously? Who is going to Dubai as a tourist? God I can think of a hundred places I'd rather go.

I went there once, right after we bombed Irag out of Kuwait. At the time, it was pretty nice but the choice was dictated by the ships travel. (There was no man made island back then).

Back