Protip: Quicksync does not work on Windows "N" Editions

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
After some expensive troubleshooting of different motherboards and processors I discovered that Intel HD4000 graphics drivers will not enable Quicksync if you are running a version of Windows N (did not try Windows K). The drivers will install and everything in the Intel software will appear ok. Media software will not detect Quicksync hardware acceleration though.

Running Intel Processer Identifier tool showed me a tell tale sign something was wrong though. Thats when I decided to try the normal version of Windows Ultimate and sure enough Quicksync showed up. The version of N did have the official Microsoft Windows Media update installed as well.

No QuickSync working. CPU is not getting utilized as heavily, which is the correct behaviour when Quicksync is being used. But notice the software does not have any option for hardware accelleration.

22 minutes for a DVD rip is terrible.

intel_no_quicksync.jpg

Heres the Intel tool showing the error in the graphics section.

windows_7_n.jpg

Reinstalled regular Windows Ultimate 64 and the FFdshow 64 bit codecs and Media Converter starts to look much much better.

intel_quicksync_working.jpg

I know Windows N is probably more popular with the Technet people. But probably also our European members.

Back