The Mystery of the Smoking iPhone

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The iPhone that caused a minor panic on an Australian airliner last November has been investigated and the cause was found by the ATSB. The findings cleared Apple of any wrong doing.

"The incident also highlights the importance of good maintenance and repair processes for these devices, and the risk of using non-authorized repair agents."

Dolan also warned against using unauthorised service agents for device repairs.
I repaired my own phone, and it's fairly easy to do. It's also a lot freaking cheaper then going to an "authorized" service center. In most cases to replace the digitizer in most phones is $20 off Ebay.

"When travelling with mobile phones, laptops and other portable electronic devices — or just their batteries — passengers should, wherever possible, carry them in the cabin, and not in checked-in baggage.
Yea, that way when the battery explodes it's within the vicinity of people.

Li Ion batteries don't 'explode'. They overheat and light on fire. If carried in the cabin one would have the chance to stop it from bringing the plane down. You won't know something is wrong in the cargo hold until it's far more serious.

Li Ion batteries don't 'explode'. They overheat and light on fire. If carried in the cabin one would have the chance to stop it from bringing the plane down. You won't know something is wrong in the cargo hold until it's far more serious.

And how do you plan to stop a batteries fire, smother it? Don't they at least have smoke detectors where they store luggage? Either way they'll have to land the plane. They land planes if someone is smoking a cigarette.

Of course leaving expensive electronics in your luggage is just asking for it to be stolen. I don't trust them.

And how do you plan to stop a batteries fire, smother it? Don't they at least have smoke detectors where they store luggage? Either way they'll have to land the plane. They land planes if someone is smoking a cigarette.

Of course leaving expensive electronics in your luggage is just asking for it to be stolen. I don't trust them.

If it catches fire on your person, then you will likely know it quickly enough to avoid any major damage. If it catches fire somewhere hidden it's gonna catch other shit on fire and then more shit after that. I'd rather avoid that situation, as would most people. If the plane is going to get landed either way then I'd much rather have my phone be the ONLY thing that got damaged in the process of that whole situation.

If it caught fire, wouldn't flushing it down the toilet at least make it go out?

In the plane, it can be thrown into a service sink or whatnot and drowned until the fire subsides.

In the cargo hold, there's not much room or facilities to do such a thing.

Downside....if you are one of those people that can't tell what's in front of you, if the phone is in your pants you may wake up to discover your wang's on fire.

Back