Video Games Keep Kids Off The Street

HardOCP News

[H] News
I know it may be hard for the naysayers to grasp but playing video games keeps kids off the streets.

Inside a hot, cramped room in the Somali capital, 10 sweating children sat on wooden desks, not unlike those found in schools. These boys, though, were not in class. They were staring at a small TV and tightly gripping video-game controllers.

Other things that keep kids off the street:
Midnight basketball
Library - reading a book
Internet

Wait, those look like first world examples. This is such a stupid article by the AP. No frickin' duh, it keeps kids off the street. I'm not saying it well, but if you can't play games while shooting a real AK down the street. You can do one thing or another. It's true in any country. If you choose to do something else because you like it, then you won't do the old thing you were doing before. Now it won't be long before al-Shabab makes their own games where the point is to shoot cops, civilians - wait, isn't that GTA? :D

I was at home playing a lot of video games while my brother was out getting into trouble. I have no doubt in my mind that ANY kind of interest that keeps a kid busy at home is probably keeping them "off the streets". Duh? Also, I was occasionally "on the streets" while riding my bike over to friends' houses to....

yup.. play video games.

I'd rather have stories like this than stories about how games cause violence.

But then those same kids stay in their kids basements and never see sunlight. You can't win.

When I was a kid in the 1970s, we roamed all over town, on our own, with just our bikes and maybe a dollar or two.

After the 1980s, the C-64 pretty much cured me of that affliction and I've been an indoorsman ever since...

But then those same kids stay in their kids basements and never see sunlight. You can't win.

All good things. in moderation. [COLOR="22222"](flow into the city) D:[/COLOR]

Apart from the sun. It just ages you prematurely and gives people skin cancer. Stupid nuclear death ball. One day we shall rise against it's infernal glow and claim back the skys, and the night! :D

When I was a kid in the 1970s, we roamed all over town, on our own, with just our bikes and maybe a dollar or two.

You might have been too English to cause trouble. But, ill-raised children roaming all over town find opportunities to commit crime. Technology gives kids a very attractive alternative to roaming the streets. Other than reducing crime, though, it's kind of sad that kids are playing video games rather than exploring the world outside and being active with friends outside.

Technology has also helped keep kids off the street is by making policing more efficient, and by shrinking the population of kids.

I don't understand the relationship between playing video games and conceiving a child. How does technology shrink the population of kids? What am I not seeing?

I know they keep me off the streets... err... off the tv at least.

Video games still keep me off the streets and I have been an adult for about 10 years.

Because most people would rather have more man time (AKA Pc gadgets power tools, sports pinball cars hobbies and video games than and annoying clingy ass girlfriend that calls every 4 seconds and leeches your life blood any until you shrivel into sorry hollow shell of your once single manly self.

thus the population shrinks since more people want to be single these days.

How about this novel idea: How about parents instilling good morals and decent respect for others in their children it's not a problem for them to be on the streets in the first place? Oh but that's too hard. It would actually take *gasp* effort on the part of the parents, and we can't have that now can we? :rolleyes:

All good things. in moderation. [COLOR="22222"](flow into the city) D:[/COLOR]

Apart from the sun. It just ages you prematurely and gives people skin cancer. Stupid nuclear death ball. One day we shall rise against it's infernal glow and claim back the skys, and the night! :D

Hear Hear! I second that!

Back