RIM Guarantees $10k To BlackBerry 10 App Devs In First Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not saying this guarantee to BlackBerry 10 app developers is bad...but the homeless guy down by Home Depot makes more than $28 a day. :eek:

RIM has announced at its BlackBerry Jam keynote address in Orlando today that it'll be guaranteeing that developers will make at least $10,000 in sales of their BlackBerry 10 apps in the first year — if they don't, RIM will cut a check for the difference.

Guess that means they will be writing $10K cheques to everyone involved then.

lol
does it say what the ap as to be? because if not i could write some POS ap and get me in on that deal lol
10k would be a lot video cards and RC stuff

It says in the article you have to make at least $1,000 on your own first. But This is still pretty interesting...

It says in the article you have to make at least $1,000 on your own first. But This is still pretty interesting...

We were talking about it at work. What you do is buy the app yourself enough times to equal $1000. BB then gives you $9000 if it doesn't make another cent.

Only hold up is that the app does need to be certified by BB.

We were talking about it at work. What you do is buy the app yourself enough times to equal $1000. BB then gives you $9000 if it doesn't make another cent.

hmm i like this idea
or price it at a buck make some dumb ap there are easily 1000 suckers out there

hmm i like this idea
or price it at a buck make some dumb ap there are easily 1000 suckers out there

Or just have a thread with all the devs, we buy each other's to help boost it and then get the 9k profit each that way. :D

I enjoy my free playbook that I got for converting my Android app... it got certified, but doesn't even run on my playbook. Crazy... Guess they don't really check. Good luck everyone!

Sucks that they lock down the hardware/software so much. The hardware/OS supports USB OTG, but won't work without screwing with the OS via root, which was broken via the latest update.

I'd also like the bring up the possibility that BB won't be around in a year as well. :p

Develop a single app, charge $1K for it, and get a family member to buy it? Actually interested in making an app or two if that's the case. Can RIM even guarantee they'll sell 1000 phones (assuming $1/app) with BB10? Yeah...

Boy RIM is desperate to keep and add new developers. Problem is I see RIM being gone sometime next year, at least from the US. Their market share has gotten to the 5% mark, the point where any more losses will make it pointless to continue on for them. After seeing the BB 10 software screenshots the other day, they look like they're up to early iOS and Android versions now, not AHEAD where they need to be. It won't drop till late summer or fall so it'll be too little to late. I'm sure there's a clause in this developer deal where they won't have to pay the developers if x y or z happens, one of which they go insolvent.

The problem with the desperation claims is that what do you expect RIM to do? If they do what Microsoft's doing, and offer to take less of a percentage if apps sell really well, then you'll say they're doing too little. If they do what they're doing now, then they're desperate. Seems like RIM can't do anything to appease the "haters".

Don't get me wrong, I haven't owned a blackberry since the "storm", so I'm no fan. I'm not a corporate user, so BIS/BES has no attraction to me, and just leads to my device being useless that much more often due to blackberry server outages, but I think they do catch alot of hate for no reason. RIM is one of the few vendors that can still deliver a platform that can last a day of use for alot of users. For featurephones, they are amazing, but they are not in the same class as smartphones. If they leveraged the compression benefits/etc of the BIS/BES platform, and offered blackberries with unlimited use for $15 a month, they'd carve out a nice niche of consumers for themselves in addition to their corporate/government base.

The problem with the desperation claims is that what do you expect RIM to do? If they do what Microsoft's doing, and offer to take less of a percentage if apps sell really well, then you'll say they're doing too little. If they do what they're doing now, then they're desperate. Seems like RIM can't do anything to appease the "haters".

Don't get me wrong, I haven't owned a blackberry since the "storm", so I'm no fan. I'm not a corporate user, so BIS/BES has no attraction to me, and just leads to my device being useless that much more often due to blackberry server outages, but I think they do catch alot of hate for no reason. RIM is one of the few vendors that can still deliver a platform that can last a day of use for alot of users. For featurephones, they are amazing, but they are not in the same class as smartphones. If they leveraged the compression benefits/etc of the BIS/BES platform, and offered blackberries with unlimited use for $15 a month, they'd carve out a nice niche of consumers for themselves in addition to their corporate/government base.

Definitely not a RIM "hater" here, but no I have never been interested in their products. Going from ~15% marketshare to ~8% marketshare within a year is poor execution, or at least poor features and/or lack of interest among consumers. There's speculation that it will have only 5% of the market by the time BB10 comes out (that OS has been in development for how long, 2+ years)? Are they even going to have a handset that runs it when it is released? I've been reading the hardware may be a little behind relative to the OS.

Plus I'm sure it doesn't help that your secure email client (main feature for which that I all I hear about as a plus for BB) has had several major outages in last year or two.

Anyway, yeah, this whole thing screams of poor execution in the face of iOS, Android, and (surprisingly) Windows Mobile.

Back