Doctors Say They Can Prevent PTSD With Tetris

HardOCP News

[H] News
Video games can cure post traumatic stress syndrome? So much for that video-games-make-you-kill-people stuff.

At least according to one research team out of Oxford University, who claim that Tetris — yes, the ubiquitous, tile-stacking videogame of your youth — can actually prevent PTSD-related flashbacks. Those harrowing moments of recall are among the most devastating symptoms of the condition, which is estimated to affect at least 25 percent of soldiers coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

interesting. I'm going to have to read into this further

From personal experience, this is one of the main reason I play video games. Simply put, they relieve built up emotions by allowing you to either take them out on fictional characters or to relieve stress because they are fun.

From personal experience, this is one of the main reason I play video games. Simply put, they relieve built up emotions by allowing you to either take them out on fictional characters or to relieve stress because they are fun.
Your experience may be true, but in this experiment what they're doing is using something (Tetris) that stimulates the brain enough to disrupt memory formation so that trauma doesn't situate itself and resurface later.

The findings aren't something that can be useful for those already afflicted with PTSD (or other forms of stress).

Your experience may be true, but in this experiment what they're doing is using something (Tetris) that stimulates the brain enough to disrupt memory formation so that trauma doesn't situate itself and resurface later.

The findings aren't something that can be useful for those already afflicted with PTSD (or other forms of stress).

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, I see you mean that the study is about the other side of the PTSD, the onset. I think it's very helpful to put video games in a better light like this as they help with a lot of things, beside breeding teenage killers (hint sarcasm).

I suffer from PTSD and I find Tetris and other puzzle games extremely relaxing. Also most puzzle games require a good deal of concentration which also prevents my mind from wondering off into other sectors.

MDMA is already the most effective method apparently, Essentially all cases of PTSD completely cured after two sessions. Two.

MDMA is already the most effective method apparently, Essentially all cases of PTSD completely cured after two sessions. Two.

I highly doubt that any drug can cure me after only 2 sessions. Combine a mostly photographic memory with extreme trauma and the inability to repress memories. I think a lobotomy would be more effective. But perhaps it helps some people and that is never a bad thing, just questioning the extreme case presented.

I highly doubt that any drug can cure me after only 2 sessions. Combine a mostly photographic memory with extreme trauma and the inability to repress memories. I think a lobotomy would be more effective. But perhaps it helps some people and that is never a bad thing, just questioning the extreme case presented.
Well, I can only ask, isn't it worth a shot? Check it out, it may be just what you need.

No, YOU need to play Tetris if you're spanking your kids.

It should be rare, but sometimes kids need an ass-whuppin. All carrot and no stick is nowhere near effective as a carrot with a stick.

Their interpretation of the results is worrying though. This suggests that playing games prevents you from correctly storing memories hours later. If you go and experience a day's worth of shit and then go home and play games for hours then you could be hampering your brains ability to synthesise all the day's experiences properly.

This would probably explain the anecdotal evidence that jumping into an MMO as soon as I get home from work just turns me into a freaking cabbage. I'm glad I'm not touching those things any more.

It should be rare, but sometimes kids need an ass-whuppin. All carrot and no stick is nowhere near effective as a carrot with a stick.

Ass whuppin = punishment

Carrot on stick = reinforcement

Positive reinforcement is superior to punishment in terms of changing behaviour.

Yeah, but who has time for that?

"You'll go get the best switch from the tree or I'll find one myself."

I did MDMA a few times after I got out of the Corps. Still got PTSD. This keyboard feels wonderful though.

Back