Sapphire 6950 2GB for $180 at Newegg

allen5055

[H]ard|Gawd
I just wanted to create this post so that people realized that if you buy two of the Sapphire 6950 2GB (Dirt 3 included) from Newegg, that they are actually only $180. There is a volume discount. If you only buy one card it's $200. Many of these cards unlock just by flipping the BIOS switch. Mine did.

So the price works out like this.

$250 - $50 (coupon) - $20 (you get a $40 discount if you buy two cards) + FS + Dirt 3 Game Coupon = $180 out the door + Dirt 3

Here is the pertinent information.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16814102987

Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI Video Card (11188-22-20G) + Dirt3 Gaming Coupon $200 (or $367 for TWO of them!!!) + Free Shipping *Starts 4/30*
Newegg

Alternatively, if you buy two of them at the same time you get an extra $32 off, making the total $367.98 with free shipping.

Promo Code: EMCYTZT1523

Last edited:
not a bad deal, while i'm past the use for a crossfired setup of these, would be a pretty sweet deal if you could get someone to go in halvsies.

if they unlock, snaggem quick before the miners find them.

Holy shit! That's $40 less than a pair of 2GB 6870's! I think I'm gonna have to get this. This is just too good to pass up. Thanks OP!

Dammit! I can't make myself pull the trigger. There sitting in my cart right now ringing up at $368 but I can't make myself submit it. I keep thinking I could get a 7950 for the same price that would use less power, max every game at 60+ fps at my resolution and I wouldn't have to deal with AMD's Crossfire drivers. I have to admit, those drivers nightmares I keep reading about is really making me hesitate.

Dammit! I can't make myself pull the trigger. There sitting in my cart right now ringing up at $368 but I can't make myself submit it. I keep thinking I could get a 7950 for the same price that would use less power, max every game at 60+ fps at my resolution and I wouldn't have to deal with AMD's Crossfire drivers. I have to admit, those drivers nightmares I keep reading about is really making me hesitate.

I vote single card anyday over sli/crossfire. You couldn't give them me for free to use them. I will probably sell one of them, lol.

I vote single card anyday over sli/crossfire. You couldn't give them me for free to use them. I will probably sell one of them, lol.

Haha! I've been scouring this forum and a couple others looking for some positive experiences with crossfire and I can't find a lot. Damn damn damn damn! Guess I should trust my gut. Wish they'd put a set of 2GB GTX560Ti's on sale for $180 each. Nvidia seems to have their shit together in terms of SLI drivers.

On it, but only buying one. My 3.4ghz C2Q could never make much use of two.

I'll just pick up a second on the cheap once I get around to upgrading the rest of my system.

Thanks for posting and it's not a bad deal but I just want to make a point: a game coupon with an MSRP of $50 is NOT the same as a $50 discount. If people decide they don't want the coupon, selling it on [H] will get you maybe $10-15. That would bring the pricedown to ~$240. The point is, a $50 coupon is NOT a $50 discount.

But anyway, the heatsink on this is good, should keep it cool and quiet.

Thanks for posting and it's not a bad deal but I just want to make a point: a game coupon with an MSRP of $50 is NOT the same as a $50 discount. If people decide they don't want the coupon, selling it on [H] will get you maybe $10-15. That would bring the pricedown to ~$240. The point is, a $50 coupon is NOT a $50 discount.

No one said it was. There's a coupon code (EMCYTZT1523) that actually gives you a $50 discount on the price of the card. On top of that, if you buy two, you get an additional $20 off per card. And THEN you get a coupon for a $50 game.

Yeah lol I would say that Dirt 3 is worth max $10, definitely not $50. Anyways, I explained the price breakdown in the OP.

The crossfire issues are for the 7x series, not the 6x. I've run eyefinity crossfire on unlocked 6950's just fine.

That PCB looks stripped down, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did not unlock. Still a good price on what is still a very good card.

OK, thanks for the correction guys. I didn't see the coupon in the Newegg page and I didn't notice the coupon in the price breakdown. Thanks for posting the actual code too. This is pretty [H]ot IMHO.

That PCB looks stripped down, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did not unlock. Still a good price on what is still a very good card.

This is pretty much the most unlocked model of nonreference 6950's out there. The 6970 BIOS is preloaded.

damn thats pretty tempting, are these quieter than the reference ones?

Well that kinda sucks but I guess it was for the best. I left it in my cart while Ive been Googling all day long trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Guess this is fate......or just me being a moron and passing up a great deal......probably Im just a moron.

For the price, this is a great deal! I had 2 6950's and they worked great, never had a problem with drivers at all. Granted, it was a single monitor solution for the most part.

Anyway, pretty hot deal.

Well that kinda sucks but I guess it was for the best. I left it in my cart while Ive been Googling all day long trying to convince myself to pull the trigger. Guess this is fate......or just me being a moron and passing up a great deal......probably Im just a moron.

Meh, for single screen gaming I think it's pointless to go SLI/CF, 'specially at 1080p... I've had two 6950's for almost a year but it's mostly because I moved up to Eyefinity w/3x 24". It's great at times, a huge hassle at times, I mostly pickup games several months after they're out tho so it hasn't made me pull my hair out yet.

Also, the shader unlock isn't a huge performance boost... When people started unlocking them I think that got kinda overhyped, the fact that a lot of people were overclocking them to 6970 clocks actually made for much more of a boost than the shader unlock itself (easily 2x the jump fps-wise).

I think the price on these things should've dropped months ago, but NV decided to dick around and AMD has had free reign for a while with the 7000 series so they just priced all those cards above the old 6000 series. I bought mine in May for like $225 and they're just now going sub-$200? Wru competition!

i have been running crossfire for over a year and rarely have any issues relating to it.

eyefinity is a much bigger problem causer, though usually thats the games fault

Meh, for single screen gaming I think it's pointless to go SLI/CF, 'specially at 1080p... I've had two 6950's for almost a year but it's mostly because I moved up to Eyefinity w/3x 24". It's great at times, a huge hassle at times, I mostly pickup games several months after they're out tho so it hasn't made me pull my hair out yet.

120hz screens. not pointless at all.

I think the price on these things should've dropped months ago, but NV decided to dick around and AMD has had free reign for a while with the 7000 series so they just priced all those cards above the old 6000 series. I bought mine in May for like $225 and they're just now going sub-$200? Wru competition!

I've actually been really surprised by the GPU industry, I've been looking for a 'bang for the buck' right around $100...I'm shocked that past gen cards are still being sold for so much, whereas I can get a past gen CPU for a jar of dirt.

Also, the shader unlock isn't a huge performance boost... When people started unlocking them I think that got kinda overhyped, the fact that a lot of people were overclocking them to 6970 clocks actually made for much more of a boost than the shader unlock itself (easily 2x the jump fps-wise).

That's true for the vast majority of games as my current rig (sig) will get well over 60 fps in almost everything. But there are a few games that I like to play that I'd like more performance. Metro and Crysis are in the mid 30's at max settings and Crysis 2 and Batman AC (with DX11) are in the mid 40's. BF3 which I don't play, at least not yet, would be in the low 40's according to benches I see. Now while all these are easily playable, I'd like a little more horsepower to get them closer to 60 fps on average. For single cards, you have to get to the $390 7950 before you get a sizeable bump and a $440 7970 before you get close to 60 fps in all those games. But a pair of cards like the $160 6870's would be faster than any single card but cost only $320. A pair of 2GB 6870's would be $400 but be a good bit faster than a 7970.

So yeah I definitely don't need dual GTX580's but a pair of smaller cards like the 6870 or even the aging GTX460 would be a good upgrade and cheaper than a single card solution to 60 fps at max settings in all games at 1920x1080.

That's true for the vast majority of games as my current rig (sig) will get well over 60 fps in almost everything. But there are a few games that I like to play that I'd like more performance. Metro and Crysis are in the mid 30's at max settings and Crysis 2 and Batman AC (with DX11) are in the mid 40's. BF3 which I don't play, at least not yet, would be in the low 40's according to benches I see. Now while all these are easily playable, I'd like a little more horsepower to get them closer to 60 fps on average. For single cards, you have to get to the $390 7950 before you get a sizeable bump and a $440 7970 before you get close to 60 fps in all those games. But a pair of cards like the $160 6870's would be faster than any single card but cost only $320. A pair of 2GB 6870's would be $400 but be a good bit faster than a 7970.

So yeah I definitely don't need dual GTX580's but a pair of smaller cards like the 6870 or even the aging GTX460 would be a good upgrade and cheaper than a single card solution to 60 fps at max settings in all games at 1920x1080.

6870's in crossfire are actually not faster than a 7970. An overclocked 7970 is the same as two unlocked 6950's.

Is this dead? It adds to my cart at $250 and I don't see anything about a discount or rebate.

Edit: my bad didn't read carefully enough to see it's a volume discount.

is this confirmed to be unlockable? I have the same card but diffrent sku/model from newegg a few months ago its shaders unlocked with flip of a switch.

6870's in crossfire are actually not faster than a 7970. An overclocked 7970 is the same as two unlocked 6950's.

There about the same in the few benchmarks I can find with the 2 in them. The 7970 might be a little faster but its also $450 where a pair of 6870's run $320 or less. Better way to go for broke ass gamers like me. ;)

Unless you don't want to deal with crappy AMD CFX drivers....

Back