iPhone App Downloads Fell 30 Percent in March

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
iPhone App downloads dropped to a six month low in March falling from 6.4 million a day in February to 4.5 million in March. Apple explains the reduction away citing better control of download bots and the simple fact that nothing of a noteworthy nature occurred in March. Is that Apple’s way of saying March’s Apps were boring? :D

"With the novelty factor of the iPhone 4S launch and the holidays well behind us, and no other events in March to spark discovery, March's download dip was expected,"

I have made it a policy to not download any iPhone apps to my iPad anymore - the iPad apps are just so much better that those are the only ones I want to use now. iPhone apps look dated to me.

I also have a Windows Phone now instead of an iPhone so a lot of my money has been going to the Big M this past year. Will be interesting to see how impact-full the Metro apps hitting later this year will be against the iPad apps as well.

Tim Cook said it best when he said "There's a horse in Redmond that will always get up and keep running " during an interview a while back.

Time are a changin' I think.

I know a lot of my friends and family got their hands on an iPhone 4S, and I also know those devices can't be jailbroken with iOS 5.1. My cousin keeps bothering me about it, but as far as I can tell unless you have some sort of way to downgrade from 5.1, you can't jailbreak ATM. Which means app store or nothing.

Also last years holiday season left a lot of people broke. They charged too much on their credit cards. A lot of people I know switched from the Droid 2 to the iPhone 4S. Leaving them with debt for essentially an upgraded toy. It's bound to happen that people are going to stop buying apps they simply don't need. They have bills to pay, and expenses.

You know what,I haven't bought a single Android app. I've had Android since the G1 was first released, and I've never had a reason to do so. Most apps are free or have a free version. Most of my games are emulators, and I have no problem playing them cause I was smart enough to buy a phone with a qwerty keyboard. A feature that is disappointingly disappearing with modern phones nowadays.

It's not an issue on quality, just that the ones you have are meeting your needs. I got like that with my old one for a while. If it was something I heard about I would try it but typically once I found an app I liked I stuck with it and only went to the app store to sync updates. I treat Android similar.

I also don't get people who say they never have paid for an Android app. Sure there's a lot of free things, but most of it is crap or limited in my experience. Poweramp, Light Flow, Haxsync, Rom Center, Juice Defender and on and on. Sure for most there's free versions but almost all of them hold back or load up tons of ads to get you to pay. It kind of makes me think a lot of the people saying are lying, or just don't want to admit they are getting full versions via other means.

android-robot-green.jpg

I also don't get people who say they never have paid for an Android app. Sure there's a lot of free things, but most of it is crap or limited in my experience. Poweramp, Light Flow, Haxsync, Rom Center, Juice Defender and on and on. Sure for most there's free versions but almost all of them hold back or load up tons of ads to get you to pay. It kind of makes me think a lot of the people saying are lying, or just don't want to admit they are getting full versions via other means.
I'm a rom-aholic, and I love to constantly switch roms on my G2 phone. There's always some new feature or kernel to play with. Problem is when I flash a new rom I gotta reload the apps. I can back it up with Titanium Backup, but a lot of times installing the apps fresh is the best way. Different roms can cause different problems.

List of apps I download.

ES File Explorer
Titanium Backup
Facebook
Chrome Beta
Firefox Beta
Skyvi
Angry Birds
Ebay app
Banking app
Gasbuddy
Google Sky Map
Quadrant
DPSmanager
Bunch of emulators

Those are all free, but the free ones do show advertisements. Though a lot of Android roms come with the ability to block those ads. Everything else is built into the rom. Don't even need a tether app, as the built in one works better anyway.

Can't wait to do the same thing with Linux on my desktop. Given that if Linux ever takes off.

Back