GeForce GTX 690 - Perfection Inside and Out @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GeForce GTX 690 - Perfection Inside and Out - Tonight we give you a quick sneak peek of what is coming very soon from our friends at NVIDIA. There has been a lot of speculation about a dual GPU card and exactly what technology it will be comprised of. We have had some hands on time with the new GeForce GTX 690 and we have to say it is perfect, inside and out.

Looks nice but wow 899.99. I will want to get my hands on one. Just wondering will these be available this coming week??

As an increasingly disgruntled owner of two 7970s... this card further shows just how much AMD has squandered all its advantages in regards to the 7xxx series.

I was really hoping for a gtx660 announcement too. If its going to be impressive as the first set of 6 series cards, I would buy on release day.

holy hell, this beast is going to wreak havoc and look beautiful while doing so....

Hmmm, no stock backplate to go with the rest of the sexy? Kyle, do you have any additional details on the "512-bit GDDR5 infrastructure." 256-bit from each GK104 right?

Hmmm, no stock backplate to go with the rest of the sexy? Kyle, do you have any additional details on the "512-bit GDDR5 infrastructure." 256-bit from each GK104 right?

Yes....same thing we have on the 680 now X2. No VRAM sharing, same as in the past.

When you hold the fucker in your hands, it really brings it all home. A work of geek art.

Nice looking but for that price, I would much rather have 2 x 680 4GB cards for what, 100 bucks more? Dual Chip cards give me gas.

Looks cool and all... but wow, 1300MHz overclock :eek:

I don't think many users are hitting that 1300MHz mark on a single 680 card. Wonder if the voltage is hard locked to 1.175v as well.

$999, most expensive GPU Nvidia (or AMD/ATI) has ever put out? So GTX 590 was $749 and this is $999? in a down economy, thinking I should sell all my nvidia stock.

Maybe its just me but normally the more you spend the more you should get back.
For instance, if you want 50% better performance it should cost 25% more... Buy more and save concept ;) But NVidia is giving you a little under 2X performance for 2X the price... Seems like overkill to me unless you are running 3 monitors. Something in between would be nice.

$999, most expensive GPU Nvidia (or AMD/ATI) has ever put out? So GTX 590 was $749 and this is $999? in a down economy, thinking I should sell all my nvidia stock.

For instance, if you want 50% better performance it should cost 25% more... Buy more and save concept ;) But NVidia is giving you a little under 2X performance for 2X the price... Seems like overkill to me unless you are running 3 monitors. Something in between would be nice.

At $899 this would be a deal, saving rougly $100 over 2 680s. If they can clip it to $799 I'll start selling blood plasma, sperm and kidneys to afford 2.

It would be a damn shame to cover it up with a waterblock. Your paying for quality of craftsmanship here though as well. I would say those "shaved" pcb components cost more and the insane cooler all factor into the price.

At $899 this would be a deal, saving rougly $100 over 2 680s. If they can clip it to $799 I'll start selling blood plasma, sperm and kidneys to afford 2.

well on the press release on NVidia.com mentioned earlier in this thread they say $999 straight from their own website, so I wouldn't count on any less than that, but I am sure there will be a few at $1049 or $1099 *superclocked

Funny how 2008 was considered one of the worst years for the economy, yet the 8800 ULTRA sold like hotcakes for $800 and a lot of times $1000 since it was in such limited supplies.

You are right in saying the GTX 690 is overpriced. At USD 999 its the costliest consumer card by Nvidia ever. It better prove its worth with the card design - like acoustics,thermals and overclocking.

For instance, if you want 50% better performance it should cost 25% more... Buy more and save concept ;) But NVidia is giving you a little under 2X performance for 2X the price...
thats not how things work with non-commodity products. Laundry detergent? yes. Large slabs of silicon with a low volume, specially designed and engineered PCB/cooler/power delivery system? no, and PC components have never, ever, worked that way.

Damn that is one beautiful card. I'm going to be happy with my puddle of drool though. Hell would freeze over before I spent $900-$1000 on a single video card. Ignoring that though this thing looks amazing. This is the first dual-GPU card to really make me excited and want to gush about it. Everything about the design of the card makes me want it regardless of performance. It will probably be a very long time before I want to praise a video card like this again simply because quite frankly I think most of them are ugly as fuck once AIBs put their hideous stickers on them. Some bare shrouds look nice (the 680 and 7970 for example), but nothing at this level.

*sneers at the thought of how much aftermarket PCB/Cooling will cost*

Only two 8pins PCI-E power to run this monster?

*sneers at the thought of how much aftermarket PCB/Cooling will cost*

Only two 8pins PCI-E power to run this monster?
read the details on the card as its NOT a monster when it comes to power consumption.

As for power consumption, NVIDIA is designing the GTX 690 around a 300W TDP, with a typical board power (and default power target) of 263W.

On the hardware side of things the card itself is equipped with 2 8-pin PCIe power sockets, enabling the card to safely draw up to 375W, 75W over its standard 300W TDP.

Meanwhile on the software side the GTX 690 will have an adjustable power target and clock offsets just like the GTX 680. NVIDIA is giving the GTX 690 a max power target of +35%, which given the card’s default power target of 263W means it can be set to draw up to 355W.

What could be the possible reason to SLI two of these if they only have 2 GB RAM?

The 2 8 pins should be more than enough since the gk104s sip power...

I was planning on swinging one of these at 699 or 749, but 999 is just really steep.

What could be the possible reason to SLI two of these if they only have 2 GB RAM?
for people with up to 2560x1600 there will probably not be an issue at all with 2gb. there will likely be 4gb models from card makers for those that need or think they need more than 2gb.

I hope EVGA ends up making a HC 690 classified version. Probably will be a 1,100 price tag though :eek:

Damn, still needs more vram. :(

Think anyone will make an 8gb variant?

Back